First Time Tips please?

SmithieNix

I don't agree with this.

The ships excursions are extortionately priced, and prey on the fear of missing the ship. On the last P&O cruise I was on, a couple missed the ship at one stop, and every day for the next week the captain banged on about it to sell the benefit of their excursions.

People just need to put their sensible head on and think about what they would need to do if something happened that was likely to cause issues on their return to the ship.

Totally agree; Civitavecchia where the ship docks is three hours by coach from Rome and no way would I attempt getting the train there and back. That is a bit risky for a first time non Italian speaking couple (you do not speak Italian do you?). However if you Google map places of interest and the cruise terminal the distances can be calculated and a taxi brought in to play if you are within certain limits there are HOHO buses in some cities. Timewise you got to check your watch is on local time, you are allowing enough leeway and know what time gangway closes. So close places might be well feasible for newbies. I have also found http://www.viator.com a good alternative to ships excursions but the onus is on you to return to quayside in good time so never cut it fine. Always take your Horizon news sheet with you as it gives details of port agent and taxi drivers can see where you want to get back to.

Regards John

You might have noticed that there is a split between those who prefer the ship tours and those who go private. I guess it depends if you take a cruise as an adventure or to relax.

I am firmly in the second category so I always take the ship tours. Apart from the advantage of making sure you get back on time, you are as confident as you can be with safety and security, and the quality in my experience has always been excellent.

Although I can't speak for all cruise lines, I know that some give priority tendering to those on ship excursions.

Whichever you chose I hope you have a great time

Totally agree; Civitavecchia where the ship docks is three hours by coach from Rome and no way would I attempt getting the train there and back.

Regards John

I think the three hours John refers to is the journey time there and back just to clarify. It's less than 50 miles and last time took us about an hour and a quarter each way.

The ship's tours are great if you have money to waste as they are so overpriced. We have only taken a ship's excursion in extreme circumstances like time constrictions or difficulty with access, like public transport. All our excursions in each port of call are booked with fellow cruisers for our forthcoming cruise. I would much rather be sharing my day with 4 other people rather than 50 and pay less for the privilege.