Edinburgh or Glasgow from Greenock-which should we do? Pros and cons to both places?

Greenwich is any 15 miles from glasgow by train or bus .Edinburgh is a further 30 miles further and anothervtrain journey is required .as a Scot and fairly knowledgeable about the travel situations I would not recommend the Edinburgh trip as travel can be horrendous at the time of your return .glasgow is a far safer option.as a seasoned cruiser I well know the hazards of a late return to the ship.

Would you be doing a ships tour ,or would you be doing it independently, if the later and to make sure you got back to the ship in time you would only have 3.5/4 hrs max in Edinburgh if you used the train,and you would have to change stations in Glasgow

We have docked in Greenock twice. Once, we took a tour to Edinburgh, which was wonderful.

Second time, we took a private tour to St. Andrews and those parts, which was also wonderful.

Both tours involved significant travel, but in my opinion well worth the time.

Edinburgh is a must see for Scotland and that would be my choice again.

My research of Glasgow found a few things of interest, but they paled compared to Edinburgh.

You asked for the pros and cons so IMO they are

You can see buildings from many different eras in Edinburgh and it is has always been the historic capital of Scotland (and still is). Glasgow's past is much more about its industrial heritage. I agree with 4774papa that Edinburgh is the must-see, but some might say I'm biased :D

It is easier to walk around Edinburgh than Glasgow as the main sights are pretty close together and are stunning. Glasgow is harder to navigate and you would need to get around by bus.

Glasgow is closer to Greenock than Edinburgh so agree you would have to do a ship's tour to Edinburgh and there wouldn't be much to see on the way.

Edinburgh changes completely during the Festivals, so August is extremely busy. Don't know when you'll be in Scotland??

Happy to help if you need any more info about Edinburgh to help you decide.

Edited by tartanexile81