Sony A6000

c230k

When you intentionally or accidentally exceed the limits of the sensor/film to record a scene...claim "Artistic License" and make up a artsy explanation of why you did it!! :)

Love this advice!

Thank you for your kind comments. I really appreciate them.

Sharon, check out Zackiedawg and Pierces photo sites (they are on this thread), you can't do what these guys do with a P&S. Most of their shots are what you did with your daughter, taking pictures on things you love.

John

Thank you for this advice, John. I've spent way too much time today admiring Dave and Justin's incredible images...reading Dave's articles and looking through Justin's lens and camera specific images (I now have a very real goal to keep working on developing my skills and maybe get that 10-18mm before my very first trip to Europe, and Mediterranean cruise, next year). I'm sure I'll be lurking around on their sites a lot now. Very inspiring!

Much appreciated Sharon...I don't think you need that much inspiration though looking at your photos above - you already have a good eye and sense of composition and light. I love that interior shot's 'dirty shadows' look - it has a nice paint-with-light feel to it. The fact that you want to learn more techniques, more control, and get more lenses, means you have the passion needed to be a photographic artist vs someone just wanting snapshots of a trip.

If it can be believed:

According to another source, the new Sony A6100 / A7000 E-mount mirrorless camera will be announced tomorrow September 11 along with the new 4K camcorder. And here are the rumored specs:

Sony A6100 / A7000 Rumored Specs:

32mp BSI

5-axis IBIS

Much better ISO

285 PDAF points

New EVF

14.5fps

Smaller than A6000, less weight too

No weather sealing

Mic-input

Only comes in black

Sony will launch a new press conference at the IBC show in Amsterdam at 9am CET on September 11, 2015. And they will announce their new innovations, the latest technologies and products. You can follow the event live at the Sony UK official site.

If it can be believed:

According to another source, the new Sony A6100 / A7000 E-mount mirrorless camera will be announced tomorrow September 11 along with the new 4K camcorder. And here are the rumored specs:

Sony A6100 / A7000 Rumored Specs:

32mp BSI

5-axis IBIS

Much better ISO

285 PDAF points

New EVF

14.5fps

Smaller than A6000, less weight too

No weather sealing

Mic-input

Only comes in black

Sony will launch a new press conference at the IBC show in Amsterdam at 9am CET on September 11, 2015. And they will announce their new innovations, the latest technologies and products. You can follow the event live at the Sony UK official site.

Oh, well....

Dave

Amazon Samsung EVO card , I have read some people have issues just checking with everyone here. If I can't get to work I will ship it back

John

My bad! :D

I though Mirco was a brand, not a typo!

I have used Micro SD cards in both the A77 and A6000 with no issue. Does your reader have a Micro SD slot? If so, check to see if your PC recognizes it. It may be the adapter which is usually the weak link.

Dave

Dave Thanks, finally was able to nab the Rokinon 12!!!!! Free same day ship, means I have one day to learn manual before the cruise. Things are looking up

John

PS Had to get black not silver bummer

I love this lens! My first manual as well.

You've probably already figured out (or read on here) that the a6000 will not recognize the lens, and in the camera setting you need to "enable" "release without shutter." (Remember to dis-enable that feature before you swap out the lens! :) )

Manual focus on this camera is not very hard. Focus peaking works really well, and you also have the benefit of focus magnifier for that fine tuning. (Per Dave's wise recommendation, I have set the C1 custom button to bring up the focus magnifier.)

In settings, I would also suggest turning off any maximum time that focus magnification is on.

Enjoy and have a great cruise!

I love this lens! My first manual as well.

You've probably already figured out (or read on here) that the a6000 will not recognize the lens, and in the camera setting you need to "enable" "release without shutter." (Remember to dis-enable that feature before you swap out the lens! :) )

Manual focus on this camera is not very hard. Focus peaking works really well, and you also have the benefit of focus magnifier for that fine tuning. (Per Dave's wise recommendation, I have set the C1 custom button to bring up the focus magnifier.)

In settings, I would also suggest turning off any maximum time that focus magnification is on.

Enjoy and have a great cruise!

That's "Release w/o lens" - Settings (little gear) section 3.

I leave it enabled all the time since there's no real downside.

Dave

That's "Release w/o lens" - Settings (little gear) section 3.

I leave it enabled all the time since there's no real downside.

Dave

Yes, release w/o lens, had a brain fart trying to post and take a phone call at the same time. Ugh. Thanks for catching it! :)

In terms of whether there's a downside leaving it enabled all the time: I thought I'd read that if the shutter can release w/o a lens attached, you ran the risk of this happening when you were changing lenses, and if this occurred, it would create some additional static that might attract dust to the exposed sensor. Apologies if I'm not recalling this correctly.

Yes, release w/o lens, had a brain fart trying to post and take a phone call at the same time. Ugh. Thanks for catching it! :)

In terms of whether there's a downside leaving it enabled all the time: I thought I'd read that if the shutter can release w/o a lens attached, you ran the risk of this happening when you were changing lenses, and if this occurred, it would create some additional static that might attract dust to the exposed sensor. Apologies if I'm not recalling this correctly.

I always turn off the camera when changing lenses. When the sensor is active, it generates a small static charge even with current technology that minimizes the problem. It may not be a big deal, but turning the camera off during lens changes serves both to power down the sensor and eliminate the possibility of tripping the shutter during the process.

Dave

Edited by pierces

Any other tips, I get the lens sometime in next 3 hours, need to do some serious wide angle stuff tomorrow to get comfortable with it. I bought a aftermarket Micro adapter and it now works!!. I still ordered a new 64GB SDXC card just in case.

John

I always turn off the camera when changing lenses. When the sensor is active, it generates a small static charge even with current technology that minimizes the problem. It may not be a big deal, but turning the camera off during lens changes serves both to power down the sensor and eliminate the possibility of tripping the shutter during the process.

Dave

Thanks Dave. I always turn off the camera when changing lenses as well. I guess what I read was written by someone who changes lenses with the camera on. :eek:

Any other tips, I get the lens sometime in next 3 hours, need to do some serious wide angle stuff tomorrow to get comfortable with it. I bought a aftermarket Micro adapter and it now works!!. I still ordered a new 64GB SDXC card just in case.

John

Don't ignore the focus distance scales on the lens. Autofocus has made this awesome tool superfluous on most lenses but it is very handy for low angle close-up to get you in the ballpark.

Also note that like virtually all lenses, the 12mm will focus slightly past infinity. At f/5.6 and above, this is less of an issue but as you go the other way towards f/2.0 you should remember to use the magnifier to check critical focus on distant objects. I found this out when shooting the stars where focus peaking and the magnifier were invaluable for getting the focus spot on.

In general, focus magnification is a great tool for ultra-wides. The difference between "looks sharp" and "is sharp" is hard to discern when the details are rendered so small on the LCD or viewfinder.

Have fun, John!

Dave

Edited by pierces

After nearly 3 months, UPS is finally agreed to pay a damage claim for a shipment I sent. Once it clears, the wide angle will be under serious consideration.

In the meantime, shots like this last night keep making me love my Sony :

97aa8a2e93b961cefcb8cd431421dfa3.jpg

In the meantime, shots like this last night keep making me love my Sony :

My enthusiasm for Sony's APS-C cameras has gotten me accused of being a fanboy for years. Maybe now people are beginning to understand what I saw in the brand when I made the gamble on continued innovation when Sony ate Minolta back in 2005.

Nice photo! (Bad table manners!)

Dave

The more I used the 16-50 lens, the less thrilled I was with it. Just not liking the power zoom part of it, would much rather have manual zoom and a separate focus ring I can feel more confident with.

Playing with it this afternoon, I finally realized that if I zoom to where I want for a shot, then hold shutter halfway, it would easily switch the ring to manual focus mode and I could nail subject focus with it.

Chalk up another one for them Sony engineers...

On the video side: Out at 6AM to shoot the Marine signalling reveille last week, I was using the 50mm wide open at dawn. The shutter speed was extremely slow, but as I panned with the warrior as he marched out, he was coming out crystal clear while all movement was blurred immensely. It was a cool effect and when I try something like that again, I'll use a tripod and work harder at keeping dead on the subject.

I ended not liking the ergonomics at all and returned the camera. That and the limited amount of long zooms has me looking at the Nikon d5500. To each their own. It just didn't work for me.

No doubt it can get a little "cramped" if you have large hands like mine - but for what I shoot and where I carry it - I cannot imagine ever lugging a "full size" DSLR ever again.