Sony A6000

c230k

Terri just came back from the Western Caribbean, I took it to the beach but I was very, very very careful where I put it down kept in it in my fanny pack. I bought the Rokinon 12 instead of waterproof housing I was planning on and don't regret it. I see people trying to take fantastic shots with their Iphones and don't understand why mine are so much sharper. The size of this baby makes it such a great travel camera. I did rent a locker when I snorkeled, I really don't trust people that much :)

John

Terri just came back from the Western Caribbean, I took it to the beach but I was very, very very careful where I put it down kept in it in my fanny pack. I bought the Rokinon 12 instead of waterproof housing I was planning on and don't regret it. I see people trying to take fantastic shots with their Iphones and don't understand why mine are so much sharper. The size of this baby makes it such a great travel camera. I did rent a locker when I snorkeled, I really don't trust people that much :)

John

Thanks John

I agree the size is great for travel and I got some really lovely shots from our AK Cruise...I think I took over 600 lol. I have only two lenses for it right now the one it came with 16-50 I think and the 55-210 zoom which was not particularly expensive. I hadn't thought of investing in wide angle lens like the 12 til I saw some of the posted pics on this thread, lots of beautiful shots all of you are posting ;) I also looked at some waterproof housings for it and it was a bit of sticker shock for me....yikes! I have a fanny pack large enough to hold all my camera gear I hadn't thought of using it for that.

We have an AI beach day in Cozumel at Nachi Concom (sp?) and a free style private island tour scheduled for Roatan I am hoping for great photo ops in both places. In Belize we have nothing scheduled still not sure what to do there and the roll call thread is pretty dead.

Thanks again and if anyone else has any tips on keeping your camera safe at the beach I would certainly love to hear them! :)

Happy shooting, Terri

Terri you will love this cruise, all three stops are great! You have what you need with those two lenses all the bases can be covered. Yes the cheapest underwater housing is over 2 and the ones we really should use cost a grand, so we used our older underwater cameras we got great shots. For Belize we did a ship excursion since it is a tender port and did the river cruise to Lamanai Ruins. What ever you do you will have a great time.

John

In general, when using the camera in a beach environment, just some simple precaution is all that's needed. Don't put the camera down in the sand - or even on a beach towel since sand can easily get on it. Don't change lenses unless you have to when on the beach, to keep the risk of sand and salt getting inside on the sensor. I find something as simple as a ZipLoc Freezer bag to be all the protection I need on the beach - when not shooting, always put the camera inside that bag. That way, if sand gets kicked up, or salt spray flies around, it's protected. I live in a beach town, and my A6000 has spent over a year and a half shooting on the beach, from boats, on cruises, throughout the Caribbean, and in the swamps...there is almost nowhere I go that doesn't involve water, sand, dust, and rain being nearby. Never had any issues, with just those simple precautions.

Oh, and a good idea to gently wipe down the camera body with a microfiber towel or soft cloth after spending lots of time shooting in a beachy environment, just to knock off any sand, salt spray, etc before storing it in a bag or changing lenses.

Thanks again John! The trip is a graduation present for my DD who is finally going to finish college...yay!

Hi Zackiedawg, thanks for the tips I will definitely be aware of my surroundings and will bring along a ziplock bag I had not thought of that. Thanks for all the help and patience!

How do you all post your pics in the thread?

Have a great week all

Terri

Generally you just need a photo-hosting site where you can put all your photos online that you want to share. Once you use a service like Flickr, PBase, Photobucket, etc, you just copy the URL of the photo that ends in .jpg, and use the image posting icon link in the new message taskbar.

Thanks Zackiedawg I will check into one of those websites. I know this is the a6000 thread but there are so many knowledgable folks here so was hoping I wouldn't be in trouble for asking what kind of camera do you all prefer while snorkeling for underwater shots. Thanks Terri

Terri there are lot of water cameras on this forum, the best is the Olympus TG-4 and it will about $350. Of course there are lots of others cheaper, I like to buy for the present and the future. Alot of people like the Gopro 4 silver check it out too.

John

Terri there are lot of water cameras on this forum, the best is the Olympus TG-4 and it will about $350. Of course there are lots of others cheaper, I like to buy for the present and the future. Alot of people like the Gopro 4 silver check it out too.

John

Thanks John, I was actually considering the Olympus TG model I heard it can stand up to a lot of usage in various conditions. I will look on the threads to see what other recommendations are out there. I appreciate your reply on this thread.

Back to the a6000 I saw that the Gary Fong video runs about $13 and it is streaming only not downloadable. Is it worth it and can you watch it more than once? I saw his youtube video and he seems to make things simple to understand. Thanks Terri :D

Thanks John, I was actually considering the Olympus TG model I heard it can stand up to a lot of usage in various conditions. I will look on the threads to see what other recommendations are out there. I appreciate your reply on this thread.

Back to the a6000 I saw that the Gary Fong video runs about $13 and it is streaming only not downloadable. Is it worth it and can you watch it more than once? I saw his youtube video and he seems to make things simple to understand. Thanks Terri :D

Gary"s video is great. much better than Friedman's book in my opinion.

When you buy the video by Fong, yoy can watch it over and over. He also have many free instructional videos.

Need your thoughts on what is the best flash for the A6000. So far my indoor shooting had been great without the flash. If I bought a flash want small and adjustable, move flash up for bounce. Have never been much of a "flash" person, but willing to change, so need your thoughts.

Thanks

Tom :cool:

I thought it was worth the $13, and once you pay, you can go back to it and watch it as much as you want. There's also a neat feature on his site where there's a photo of the camera and if you click on a specific button or control, it will bring up info about that.

There are also a ton of free resources on line about the a6000; if you go back through this thread, you'll see that I (and others) have posted links to a number of them.

I love this camera. Enjoy!

Wanted to play around with the Time Lapse app as well as the add-on Tilt Shift program.

Thank you for sharing your experience with this. I've been curious about trying it so I really appreciate that you included your volume of shots, time to process and battery information. Very helpful!

I thought it was worth the $13, and once you pay, you can go back to it and watch it as much as you want. There's also a neat feature on his site where there's a photo of the camera and if you click on a specific button or control, it will bring up info about that.

There are also a ton of free resources on line about the a6000; if you go back through this thread, you'll see that I (and others) have posted links to a number of them.

I love this camera. Enjoy!

I did finally get through this whole thread and appreciate the time everyone has taken to post different info on this camera, very helpful. Thanks to you all

Terri :D

Need your thoughts on what is the best flash for the A6000. So far my indoor shooting had been great without the flash. If I bought a flash want small and adjustable, move flash up for bounce. Have never been much of a "flash" person, but willing to change, so need your thoughts.

Thanks

It's not the cheapest portion but the HVLF20M is smalland offers bounce capability. It can also be used to trigger the larger flashes off-camera if you ever decide to become a flash guru.

Dave

Thanks Dave, do you your flash much. I find that my lens and the A6000 do a great job without the need for a flash. Not sure I really need one, so far. Glad to continue your weekly "picture of the week" you deserve a break. lol Now let's see the pictures from your cruise, hope you captured the fall colors, which we did not get a week before you left on your cruise.

Tom,

I too have used very little flash since moving to the A6000. I have an HVLF43AM with the old locking foot that works great with the adapter but looks a little funny since it is about the same size as the A6000. I'm actually looking at the 20 as a travel flash but am still undecided since my preference leans so strongly towards ambient light.

Photos to follow once we get home and I can process them. As for fall colors... Green is a color, right?

Dave

On to the cruise ship armed with my A6000 and NEX7!

HAVE A GREAT FUN CRUISE!!!!

Let see the pictures when you get back, Full report. (lol) Were are you going?

Edited by c230k

Let see the pictures when you get back, Full report. (lol) Were are you going?

It will be interesting - as I am 82, can't really stand up without a rollator and so shots will be rather from a sitting position. :-( (The days of lying flat on the floor for a shot has long gone)

Barcelona to Barcelona.

Thanks for the warm wishes.

Tom