Sony A6000

c230k

With the Multi-frame NR right above Auto in the ISO settings, it's easy to overshoot and choose it by mistake.

That's the bad news.

The good news is that the Multi-frame NR is right above Auto in the ISO settings, making it easy to get to.

Even set to ISO12800, using MFNR on a appropriate subject (read as "non-moving), it will produce very usable hand-held shots in truly horrible light.

Dave

Tell me I'm not the only one that takes 2 hours to situate the camera bag after getting a new system...

Spent last night reconfiguring the backpack style case because it has enough room for all my acc as well as the missus p&s and charger - but man, trying to arrange things for best protection as well as easy access - apparently I'm a little slow figuring that all out.[emoji15]

Edited by shootr

Keep in mind the A6000 has been on the market for awhile..... rumors the A7000 may be announced in August or shortly after.

I recently lost my NEX-7 to age and suspected shutter error (worn out?) and will pick up a second body before our fall colors cruise. I have a long list of cool things I would like the A7000 (or whatever) to have in addition to the already rumored magic and am hoping it comes out before then. If it doesn't, I will pick up another A6000 body simply because it is a great camera.

If I was making a new camera decision today, I would pull the trigger and go with the A6000. It is very reasonable for the level of performance it provides and any lenses I would get with it would fit the A7000 that I would surely be tempted by later this year! :)

I have found that waiting for the next big thing leaves you using the last big thing for way longer that you should.

Dave

Those rumors (coming soon! next month!) have been swirling around for months. One of these months, they will be correct! :)

I'm used to waiting.

1376873104000-XXX-FUTURE-1.jpg

Been waiting for one of these since '62!

Dave

I'm going to keep posting little things - again everybody might already know them but I probably missed the mention...

When I hit the Fn button to go to the settings menu - I assumed I had to then hit the center of the back dial to "pick" it and pull up the menu of available options for that setting.

Actually, after hitting Fn, scroll to the setting you want to manipulate, then just start rotating the back dial and it automatically pulls up the available options and scrolls through them.

Saves a step anyways...

...and

When you reach the selection you want, just push the shutter button 1/2 or all the way - it will use the selection you scrolled to without having to "set" it by pushing the back dial center button or any other buttons.

I'm going to keep posting little things - again everybody might already know them but I probably missed the mention...

Please continue to do so, that's one of the benefits of this thread!

It's why I've occasionally put up a link to a helpful video I've found. Never know who has seen what, or not stumbled upon a helpful shortcut or tip.

With my cruise coming up in least than 90 days, an backup camera is on my mine. Originally I thought about toting my A57 with its larger lens, but after carrying around the lightweight A6000 i really don't want to mess. I thinking about getting a used 5100 body for $250 so my wife could have a great point and shoot, and I could have a backup camera. What are your thoughts?

John

Just playing, trying to get the muscle memory up to speed with switching settings more efficiently, familiarizing myself with each Program's pro's and con's - etc.

End of the runway is always fun until security chases me away. The MP of the sensor makes it so nice to be able to crop in like this without losing much, if any detail:

plane%2B101.jpg

Played with the dynamic range and HDR settings - they seem pretty subtle for the most part - I like. This is the original control tower for Phoenix Sky Harbor. One of the private FBO's brought it to their area and saved it.

tower%2Bold%2B01.jpg

3 more days until Vegas, Tahoe, and San Diego - soooooo ready.

So the little red record button is a bit recessed, I suspect to make it more difficult to record by accident. But that same feature also makes it a bit difficult to stop recording when you want to. With my eye up to the EVF when I'm shooting video (which I don't do that often), I'm finding that even though I thought I'd kept my finger on the record button, it's not that easy to turn off when you aren't looking at it. Any tips/advice to share here?

So the little red record button is a bit recessed, I suspect to make it more difficult to record by accident. But that same feature also makes it a bit difficult to stop recording when you want to. With my eye up to the EVF when I'm shooting video (which I don't do that often), I'm finding that even though I thought I'd kept my finger on the record button, it's not that easy to turn off when you aren't looking at it. Any tips/advice to share here?

I ordered up some more Sugru - an air-cured rubber putty. I think the tiniest little ball of it carefully pressed onto the button to give a little raised nub to it, will be enough to feel it - I have the exact same problem and for now am learning to not shift my finger in the slightest, lest I lose track of where it is.

I ordered up some more Sugru - an air-cured rubber putty. I think the tiniest little ball of it carefully pressed onto the button to give a little raised nub to it, will be enough to feel it - I have the exact same problem and for now am learning to not shift my finger in the slightest, lest I lose track of where it is.

Thanks. I am working on not moving that finger!! :)

Love the plane photo...

Ok, I just bought an Olympus C-180 teleconverter for my 55-210. I need to buy an step-up ring does it matter what type or metal? I should get them in time for my photo safari up north in the Canyonlands. Forecast unfortunately is rain all weekend so I don't know how the sunbeams will be in Antelope Canyon :(

John

Edited by wmjivey

An easy solution to the recessed record button is to use those tiny clear rubber/silicon stick-on 'feet' or bumpons used for furniture, picture frames, etc to keep them from scratching. They're self-adhesive, easy to put on and take off, and will raise that record button outside the surrounding camera body. They sell them in small sizes, like .25" diameter. I never use video, so I love the recessed button, but if you use video often, a raised silicon button bump should do the trick.

John - pretty much any metal step-up ring will do the trick - they're not too complex and most $5 ones will do - the worst that may happen is that some of the cheap made ones may have badly grooved threads and not go on well - but I've used 5-6 different cheap Fotodiox step rings and they've all worked fine.

Spent the weekend camping with an A6000 hanging over my shoulder. I discovered that it is a compact and very capable alternative to lugging a full-sized DLSR around!

Ok...I didn't just discover that. All I discovered is that I still really like photography and the size of the Sony mirrorless cameras. I ran into a fellow shooting with a GH4 (long story short) who thought I was shooting with a P&S Once that assumption was cleared up, he was amazed at the size of the A6000 compared to the GH4...as was I. Those things are as big as a Rebel!

Anyway, here are a few favorites from the weekend. The rest can be seen HERE if you're interested.

Away from the sunset

p1319901910-5.jpg

Lonely flower

p1319900563-5.jpg

Father/Daughter team

p1319899342-5.jpg

Dirt Boy

p1319904039-5.jpg

Happy shooting!

Dave

Note to self: Don't leave your treasured Bogen tripod on the back seat of the rental car when you turn it in...

(that was a close one...)

Yeah, I almost pulled a similar stunt last month while on vacation at Disney. Staying in the cabins at Ft. Wilderness, and rented a golf cart to get around (campground is huge and waiting for internal busses stinks!). Golf cart has a convenient dash bin for storing my camera when riding around. Stuck my RX10 in there on my way from the cabin to the bus stop - got involved talking with a staff member for a while waiting for the bus, and when the bus arrived, I got out of the cart and headed onboard. Then jumped back off the bus and ran back to my golf cart when I remembered the RX10 sitting in the front dash bin. Almost oops!

Edited by zackiedawg