Sony A6000

c230k

Yes, yes it must!:)

Thanks for the update instructions - not that I'm computer illiterate - but it wouldn't be fun to brick the thing 10 minutes out of the box.

Looks perfect so far, except they shorted me the hood for the small lens. Sent them a note to see what they can do.

Heck, it came with the Sony case/bag, a Sony 32gb card, everything else that was promised. Can't find a nick or smudge on it (until I pressed my forehead against the screen).

Sold the old XS body last night - just have the 50mm/1.8 (that was sold but the seller never paid) and the T5i body and kit lens - after fees, shipping, everything I'm even - so selling those last couple will put me in the black.

Yes, yes it must!:)

Thanks for the update instructions - not that I'm computer illiterate - but it wouldn't be fun to brick the thing 10 minutes out of the box.

Looks perfect so far, except they shorted me the hood for the small lens. Sent them a note to see what they can do.

Heck, it came with the Sony case/bag, a Sony 32gb card, everything else that was promised. Can't find a nick or smudge on it (until I pressed my forehead against the screen).

Sold the old XS body last night - just have the 50mm/1.8 (that was sold but the seller never paid) and the T5i body and kit lens - after fees, shipping, everything I'm even - so selling those last couple will put me in the black.

If by the small lens you mean the 16-50 PZ, it does not come with one and its design is not conducive to a third-party add-on. If you got the 18-55, it should have had one.

Have fun!

Dave

Ahhhhh, yes I got the PZ 16-50, thanks.

Do you use or would you use any protective filter on it?

That's my kit lens too. No supplied hood. I asked about a third party hood earlier -- the answers (as Dave says above) were that there's really nothing good out there, the lens is sort of awkward for that.

I decided that because the lens was so exposed, I'd put a good UV filter on it. I feel better having that bit of protection. (That's me. Others feel comfortable without it.) On my recent "field trip" to B&H, I got this B+W:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/905877-REG/b_w_661073877_40_5mm_xs_pro_nano_mc_uva_010.html

Edited by Turtles06

Ahhhhh, yes I got the PZ 16-50, thanks.

Do you use or would you use any protective filter on it?

I think I mentioned earlier that I only use polarizers unless it is just horrifically dusty or there is enough salt spray that I would have the rest of the camera in a rain cover. I have all my caps on cap-keepers and have gotten into the habit of snapping it on when I turn off the camera and the lens retracts.

On my lenses that have hoods, I let the hood do its job and protect the front element from glare and random impacts.

A lens brush, microfiber cloth and a few Zeiss Lens Wipes are always in my bag to remove the occasional dust speck or random liquid.

Dave

Thanks to everyone for the great advice about this wonderful little camera.

I've been trying hard to learn as much as I can, including being sucked deep into the menu "vortex" -- wow, there is a lot there!

I'm probably going to feel stupid when someone answers my next question, but I'll risk it. (Won't be the first time...or the last.)

How do I turn automatic image review off? I just can't seem to find it.

I'm probably going to feel stupid when someone answers my next question, but I'll risk it. (Won't be the first time...or the last.)

How do I turn automatic image review off? I just can't seem to find it.

There are no stupid questions! And finding stuff in the menus can be a challenge. You'd think this might be in playback, but it's not. Go here:

Menu/tools (the little round gear)/screen 1/auto review. (Select this and then choose the off option)

I think it was Dave who clued me in to this as a battery saver. I turned it off and don't miss having it on. Thanks Dave!

I think I mentioned earlier that I only use polarizers unless it is just horrifically dusty or there is enough salt spray that I would have the rest of the camera in a rain cover. I have all my caps on cap-keepers and have gotten into the habit of snapping it on when I turn off the camera and the lens retracts.

On my lenses that have hoods, I let the hood do its job and protect the front element from glare and random impacts.

A lens brush, microfiber cloth and a few Zeiss Lens Wipes are always in my bag to remove the occasional dust speck or random liquid.

Dave

Where as I keep a TOP quality UV or A1 on every lens I own. I would rather a scratch on a $100 filter than a $2000 lens.

There are no stupid questions! And finding stuff in the menus can be a challenge. You'd think this might be in playback, but it's not. Go here:

Menu/tools (the little round gear)/screen 1/auto review. (Select this and then choose the off option)

I think it was Dave who clued me in to this as a battery saver. I turned it off and don't miss having it on. Thanks Dave!

Thanks! I thought I checked that menu, but I missed it.

I have a spare battery, so although battery saving is a nice bonus, the main reason I wanted to do that was for a quicker next shot.

Where as I keep a TOP quality UV or A1 on every lens I own. I would rather a scratch on a $100 filter than a $2000 lens.

I really don't disagree, but having gone decades without a scratch has me only using them in extreme conditions. Since I'm sure I'll regret this someday, I put the practice firmly in the to-each-their-own category. :)

Dave

Thanks! I thought I checked that menu, but I missed it.

I have a spare battery, so although battery saving is a nice bonus, the main reason I wanted to do that was for a quicker next shot.

Agreed, another good reason. And really necessary if you are in burst mode and trying to keep your eye on a bird in flight, for example.

Man, not that I expect to take a lot of video's - but this system of having to import into the Sony CPU software, then convert it - just to manipulate it outside the Sony proprietary programs.

Am I missing a setting where I can just pull up my SD card files, including the movie files, and import them into the program or folder of my choice?

I haven't played with the video mode yet, but I have been watching Gary Fong's premium video on the A6000 and he talked about setting to MP4 instead of AVCHD to avoid alot of confusion. You might want to explore the differences.

John

I kept my 58mm CP and ND filters - shouldn't be a big deal to get step rings (40.5 and 49) for the Sony lenses and use them, should it? I mean I found the rings, no problem - can't see vignetting being an issue - anything else I'm forgetting to consider?

Man, not that I expect to take a lot of video's - but this system of having to import into the Sony CPU software, then convert it - just to manipulate it outside the Sony proprietary programs.

Am I missing a setting where I can just pull up my SD card files, including the movie files, and import them into the program or folder of my choice?

I rarely shoot video (mostly I forget that all these new "still" cameras WILL shoot video :)), but I have shot some video on my new a6000 to test it out. Shot on the same SD card on which I'd been shooting stills, imported the whole card into My Pictures/Windows Live Photo Gallery, and the videos played fine. I don't know if there are restrictions on editing or "manipulating," as I haven't tried to do anyting but play the videos.

I just import everything into a holding directory in Lightroom. Everything comes in...JPEG, MTS video and all. Lightroom displays the Video just fine straight out of the camera (60p 28m(PS) setting) and Premier Elements 11 lets me add it to a project with no conversion.

Granted I know little about video but have never had an issue with NEX oe A6000 files.

Dave

Guess it'd help if I dug into the card file system a little deeper. Found them and all is well.

Hoya UV filters showed up today - as Dave says, to each his own (or something along those lines) and I just feel better having them on for protection - until that first good lens flare crops up....:D

It's 110 out again, just too draining to go find something to shoot - so I'm sitting in the AC playing with menu's and training my muscle memory to hit the right buttons at the right time to change settings.

Being in the next town over from yah I spent the day re-watching Gary Fong's video on the A6000, always learn something new. Went outside to play and driven back in by the heat.

The youngest is camping upstate in 50 degree rain sure hate it :)

John

Being in the next town over from yah I spent the day re-watching Gary Fong's video on the A6000, always learn something new. Went outside to play and driven back in by the heat.

The youngest is camping upstate in 50 degree rain sure hate it :)

John

Might just get to try for some lightning shots tonight, after what just blew through here!

Or a time lapse of me cleaning the pool...:(

Well that was $13 well spent. Heard enough good about Gary Fong and was starting to get frustrated trying to figure out all the settings - knowing I'm missing key features. I'd find a setting, Google it, research it, then decide whether to implement it.

The a6000 video - I'm only 45 minutes in after a few hours because I learn, set the camera, go try it out, - repeat. Stuff that I'm slapping my forehead going Duh; I couldn't even figure out the diff between the two "Intelligent" modes...

My month is up Wednesday, so i am cramming watching him over and over. Wish I would of watch and play and watch and play. He makes everything so easy, and I understand exactly what some of these settings are. After you finish look at his Youtube channel he has more tips there.

John