Bus from Livorno to Pisa then Florence and back?

triptastic

Hi,

I understand that there are bus companies in the centre of town that sell trips to Pisa or Florence that are timed to get you back to the boat in time. I was wondering if you know of any that do a quick stop in Pisa on route to Florence or if there are busses in Pisa that go to Florence? We have one day and I don't want much time in Pisa but, I think my kids will want to see it. If anyone can offer any information about using the bus I mentioned,that would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Hi,

I understand that there are bus companies in the centre of town that sell trips to Pisa or Florence that are timed to get you back to the boat in time. I was wondering if you know of any that do a quick stop in Pisa on route to Florence or if there are busses in Pisa that go to Florence? We have one day and I don't want much time in Pisa but, I think my kids will want to see it. If anyone can offer any information about using the bus I mentioned,that would be very helpful.

Thanks!

What you are talking about is an "excursion" and they are sold on most cruise ships at ridiculous prices. Using public transit (buses and trains) in Italy is just not that specialized. With a family of 4 the most efficient (cost and time) way to achieve your goal would be to simply rent a car (for pick-up at the port) and drive yourself. Even paying the inflated rental car prices of Sifracar (the local Hertz franchiser who will deliver and pick-up right at your pier) would get the cost down to about $40 per person (for 4). Another option (popular with quite a few cruisers) is to simply hire a taxi for the entire day (this can cost around 300 Euros and is negotiable) and just have him take you where you want to go.

You can also use the train and make a short stop at Pisa. A train ticket to (or from Florence) does allow enough time for a stop in Pisa (without an additional train ticket) but you would still need to get from the station to the Field of Miracles. Even with the best connections you will lose a lot of time (perhaps 1 1/2 hours) with this "short stop." One big issue for port days is trying to do too much and leaving yourself without enough time to really enjoy anything.

Getting back to rental cars, if doing such a port day we would get our car as early as possible (by 8am) and drive directly to Florence and park in a garage. If we still wanted to go to Pisa (after seeing wonderful Florence) we would leave Florence somewhat early and make a quick stop at Pisa on the return drive. From Pisa to the port is about a 30 min drive although one should never cut things too close.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

You can also use the train and make a short stop at Pisa. A train ticket to (or from Florence) does allow enough time for a stop in Pisa (without an additional train ticket) but you would still need to get from the station to the Field of Miracles.

Hank

Hank, how much time can we stay in Pisa if we use the same ticket ? We are planning to stop in Pisa on our way back from Lucca.

Thank you.

I'm not sure I can post the full link but if you go to tuscanybus(.com) they do the bus tour for €15 to the leaning tour of pisa and €30 for Florence, you get two hours in pisa or 4.5 hours in Florence and the bus leaves from where the cruise ship shuttle drops off at piazza grande livorno. The coaches have free wifi as well

(the local Hertz franchiser who will deliver and pick-up right at your pier) would get the cost down to about $40 per person (for 4). Another option (popular with quite a few cruisers) is to simply hire a taxi for the entire day (this can cost around 300 Euros and is negotiable) and just have him take you where you want to go.

Hank

Last week in Livorno there were manned desks for both Hertz and Europecar inside the terminal building. There were also numerous taxi drivers inside the terminal building offering trips to Florence etc.

We also had a pier runner that evening! Their taxi rounded the pier, horn blaring, just as the ship was a couple of hundred feet away from the pier. Lucky for them, the Captain stopped the ship and the Pilot cutter brought them aboard. So plan your day carefully!!

The bus drops off near the field of miracles in pisa and outside Santa Maria novella station in Florence

Hi Dallas,

Have you done this? It is what we are planning on for Florence.

Hank, how much time can we stay in Pisa if we use the same ticket ? We are planning to stop in Pisa on our way back from Lucca.

Thank you.

We need "Euro-Cruiser" to jump in here since his train info is often more up to date and we have heard a few different rules regarding the train ticket. I have heard the ticket is valid for 4 hours and I have heard 6 hours (this is from the time you stamp it in the validation machine). But either way that should be enough time for a quick visit to the Field of Miracles. Personally, if we are going to Florence that is where we go...without spending time anywhere else. The first time we visited Florence (from a ship) we felt somewhat overwhelmed and not overly impressed. Then we started to stop in Florence during on lengthy driving trips (we stay at the Hotel David) and soon fell in love with this fantastic city. When it comes to Pisa, DW likes to say that there are a lot of leaning towers in Italy but only one Florence.

Hank

We need "Euro-Cruiser" to jump in here since his train info is often more up to date and we have heard a few different rules regarding the train ticket. I have heard the ticket is valid for 4 hours and I have heard 6 hours (this is from the time you stamp it in the validation machine). But either way that should be enough time for a quick visit to the Field of Miracles. Personally, if we are going to Florence that is where we go...without spending time anywhere else. The first time we visited Florence (from a ship) we felt somewhat overwhelmed and not overly impressed. Then we started to stop in Florence during on lengthy driving trips (we stay at the Hotel David) and soon fell in love with this fantastic city. When it comes to Pisa, DW likes to say that there are a lot of leaning towers in Italy but only one Florence.

Hank

Thank you for your answer. This time, we are not going to Florence. We plan on going to Lucca, and since the train stops in Pisa, we will get off there and see the tower.

If the ticket is good for 4 hours, I think we will be Ok.