Who here likes Baked Alaska?

APH

I think it's about time we all had a passionate debate about...Baked Alaska.

I'm personally a fan of it - great fun (not to mention tasty), but many people I've talked to don't seem so fond of it - It's probably more for first time cruisers.

Any thoughts? Yay or Nay for the Baked Alaska?

I like the pomp and circumstance of the baked Alaska parade. But, as far as the actual dessert...if they would use vanilla ice cream, I might eat it. I don't like strawberry or many other flavors and that is why I normally don't eat it.

Pea

5/9 Golden Princess  countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;5;9;23;0;00&timezone=GMT-0400

Well, I fell in love last May with Princess' ice creams (all with fancy-schmancy names, of course!) for dessert. I found that they were delicious, yet not too filling. I had to have the New York Cheesecake twice, but I mostly had the flavored ice creams for dessert.

I've had the Baked Alaska, but I have to admit that it isn't my favorite.

Gee, I've never had a debate over Baked Alaska before.... this is a first! icon_biggrin.gif

JJ

Caribbean Princess 5/1/04

Star Princess 5/24/03

Sun Princess 6/12/00

Carnival Fantasy 1/18/98

I can take it or leave it, but I do agree that Princess makes really good ice cream. I never eat it at home, but I always try it on the ship. Marzipan, pumpkin, Zabaglione, Cinnamon....yum!

"I'm gonna book myself on that Princess Cruise."

-- Fox Mulder, X-Files 'Three Words'

Good topic...I've always wondered what the big deal was about Baked Alaska. Ice Cream with merinque on top just doesn't get me excited. There are so many other great desserts on the menu.

Scott

Star Princess 11/28/04

Grand Princess 4/25/04

Island Princess

Galaxy

Jubilee

Sensation

Big Red Boat

Celebration

Starward

CostaMarina

Fantasy

Seaward

Independence

Daphne

Independence

I always enjoy a good parade. Anything with loud, hand-clapping music is fun for me! (I'm easily pleased). And marching desserts!! What else could one want?? icon_wink.gif But I agree with Peabody, forget the strawberry ice cream. On our last cruise though, Sun Princess in January, the Baked Alaska didn't have strawberry! icon_eek.gif It only had vanilla and chocolate!! Best I've ever had! icon_biggrin.gif Now if all the ships made it that way, I'd be very, very, very happy! icon_cool.gif

Grand Princess Transatlantic - August 27, 2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;27;21;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Not a fan of Baked Alaska, and not exactly a fan of waiter parades either. I could take them or leave them.

Bring on the Creme Brulee icon_smile.gif Now that's a dessert worthy of a parade!! icon_biggrin.gif

Margie

Celebrating Our Parents 60th Anniversary - Legend of the Seas to Mexico 9/5/04!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;9;5;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Join Our Legend Roll Call Here

Our Dawn Princess Caribbean Medley Family Cruise 11/23/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;11;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Join Our Dawn Roll Call Here

Windjammer-Flying Cloud 1991

Carnival Elation 1999

NCL Sun 2002

Star Princess 2003

Legend of the Seas 2003

Never had it on Princess (always do PC). Had it on RCCL, wasn't impressed. The waiter parade was something I'd like to see once in my life . . .

Had Baked Alaska at one of Emeril Lagasse's restaurants in New Oreleans. That was truly an amazing desert. All vanilla, excellent sauce. One order was enough for four people. I think I'm spoiled for baked alaska for the rest of my life, nothing will measure up.

Greg

I just happened to remember that last year on the Star Princess to Alaska, there was no parade on the Baked Alaska night. I think it is because I was in the PC dining room. They may very well have had the Baked Alaska parade during the Traditional dining times.

So, if you really have your heart set on the parade, and you have PC dining.... forget it. I do have the Baked Alaska parade from my Alaskan cruise on the Sun Princess in 2000 on DVD..... it's just a memory now... icon_razz.gif

JJ

Caribbean Princess 5/1/04

Star Princess 5/24/03

Sun Princess 6/12/00

Carnival Fantasy 1/18/98

I love the parade. I like it as well but I'm diabetic so I have to plan throught the day for this one treat. A small slice will be nice, thank you.

Hopfully a Hawiian Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2006;12;5;11;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Until we sail away on the ocean blue

Navigator of the Seas Western Crib 08/03

Dawn Princess - Eastern Carb

Dawn Princess Panamal Canal

If a picture is worth a 1000 words, well, look at this one... Click on the link in my signature and go to our 2004 cruise album; look at picture #243.

... in other words, I LOVE IT !!!

---------- *** ---------- *** ---------- *** ---------- *** ----------

Want to see some pictures from our cruises ?

Just go to:

Alain & Linda cruises pictures

... and enjoy !

---------- *** ---------- *** ---------- *** ---------- *** ----------

March 20, 2005 -> Dawn Princess

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2005;3;20;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

1995 - Regal Princess (Eastern Carrib)

2000 - Sea Princess (Western Carrib)

2002 - Dawn Princess (Southern Carrib)

2004 - Coral Princess (Panama canal)

2005 - Dawn Princess (Southern Carrib Meddley)

"Stars are brighter when you look at them from sea !"

Baked Alaska Recipe

from

http://www.freerecipe.org/Dessert/Baked_Goods/Holiday/BakedAlask_iajh.htm

Tradition recommends that the baked Alaska is flambé with alcohol right before serving.

from

http://www.meilleurduchef.com/cgi/mdc/l/en/recettes/gateau/omelette_norvegienne_ill.html

Baked Alaska & Variations

from

http://www.recipecottage.com/desserts-frozen/baked-alaska04.html

USS Chilton APA-38 1966-1968

USS Guam LPH-9 1968-1970

Pacific Princess Oct 21 2001 Bermuda

Golden Princess Dec 7 2002 "Eastern Caribbean"

Coral Princess Dec 9 2003 "Panama Canal"

Carnival Miracle 17 Oct 2004

NOT UPDATED again 25 Feb www.geocities.com/fsbsdel

and how to conceal personal weapons in a Baked Alaska.

from

http://www.chat-page.com/ship/1/archive_00.html

USS Chilton APA-38 1966-1968

USS Guam LPH-9 1968-1970

Pacific Princess Oct 21 2001 Bermuda

Golden Princess Dec 7 2002 "Eastern Caribbean"

Coral Princess Dec 9 2003 "Panama Canal"

Carnival Miracle 17 Oct 2004

NOT UPDATED again 25 Feb www.geocities.com/fsbsdel

I don't totally remember the baked alaska but I do remember the parade. My favorite Princess dessert was the always available chocolate (whatever it was) peice of heaven with a Princess symbol in chocolate on the top. Looked through our old menus but couldn't find the name but truly loved it and ordered one along with whatever the other dessert of the day was.

Anyone remember what the name is or if it is still available?

Mark D.

4/10/04 Caribbean Princess

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;4;10;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Crown-92; Grand-01...

I'll take the "Princess dream" chocolate dessert over the Baked Alaska any day icon_biggrin.gif.It reminds me of kid's birthday party food..But I do enjoy the parade! Cindy

P.S. Mark D. I think you are talking about the same dessert...I'm pretty sure it's the Princess Dream...a chocolate square with the chocolate Princess symbol on top...By Far their Best Dessert in my opinion...But somewhere on the board someone was saying that they changed it and it isn't as tasty...I sure hope not icon_frown.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;08;14;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Cruisin with Sis,Clark,& Lana Inside Passage Regal

JMHO but here goes:

This is a great question and one I've thought about from time to time. Regardless of if we find it tasty or not there's an underlying culture issue that begs our attention.

I think its time as an elegant dessert has come and gone. Maybe.

Years ago, when Neopolitan ice cream was amazing, Baked Alaska stood for elegance and "the good life" and elicited much the same "wow" factor as flaming Cherries Jubilee, a mink stole, a pearl necklace, or hard to find delicacies like Godiva Chocolates, Beluga Caviar or Campari, then considered an elegant apertif'.

Then the world shrunk.

Chef's from all over the world were drawn into our living rooms on the coat tails of Graham Kerr, the galloping gourmet, through the rapid expansion of modern media. Delicacies from far off lands were brought to us quickly with the advent of next-day air shipping. We became educated with more and more of us attending college and, presumably, knowing more.

Maybe we grew beyond Baked Alaska?

Maybe that's why even though there are many other desserts with more exotic ingredients requiring greater skill to produce that we like Baked Alaska.

Perhaps it's simple elegance is just what we need.

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/04

Star Princess 10/04

Carnival Spirit 12/04

Archived