P&O baggage allowance

Stravaiginer

I am about to cruise on P&O after a few years away. I have noticed that this cruise line now states that the Baggage weight limit is a mere 20Kg per bag max !

They make all kinds of threats in the T&C about making you go and empty any that are over this before they will deliver to your cabin!

This line is one that does more Formal nights than most others (means more weigh in bags) and the Internation Airlines handling limit is 23Kg. If I had two 23Kg bags I would have to make it three at a quite considerable extra hold cost to accomodate P&O who cannot follow the same weight handling limits of airlines.

Does anyone have experience of being ''manhandled' by P&O over this?

I assume you are travelling from Southampton - the 20kg weight is given as the recommended weight for baggage handlers to carry. As long as you don't have a case so heavy it's difficult for you to lift then I'm sure you'll be fine. I've never heard of anyone having a case emptied.

I am about to cruise on P&O after a few years away. I have noticed that this cruise line now states that the Baggage weight limit is a mere 20Kg per bag max !

They make all kinds of threats in the T&C about making you go and empty any that are over this before they will deliver to your cabin!

This line is one that does more Formal nights than most others (means more weigh in bags) and the Internation Airlines handling limit is 23Kg. If I had two 23Kg bags I would have to make it three at a quite considerable extra hold cost to accomodate P&O who cannot follow the same weight handling limits of airlines.

Does anyone have experience of being ''manhandled' by P&O over this?

If you are going from Southampton you can take as many cases as you wish, each one not really over 20kg.

If you are flying then you stick to the airlines limits. As you cannot go over those ,then it will be ok going on the ship.

We've always put more than 20kg in our luggage if I'm honest and got the 'heavy' sticker. Now that we know it is 20kg we will stick to that and take an additional case to Southampton. No problem and thinking back it was unfair of us to expect the poor luggage handlers to maul the heavy cases.

Some interesting replies although the answers for the Southampton sailings I already knew.

However, for my Caribbean cruise this December the weight limit for each passenger is 23kg. Would this mean that I could have a suitcase at 20kg AND a separate formal suit carrier as long as it weighed 3kg or less?

Also, has anyone put a formal suit carrier in the aircraft hold before or do most people pack the bib & tucker in with their main suitcase?

Some interesting replies although the answers for the Southampton sailings I already knew.

However, for my Caribbean cruise this December the weight limit for each passenger is 23kg. Would this mean that I could have a suitcase at 20kg AND a separate formal suit carrier as long as it weighed 3kg or less?

Also, has anyone put a formal suit carrier in the aircraft hold before or do most people pack the bib & tucker in with their main suitcase?

My usual method is to have 3 cases between 2 people, as you have 46kg between you I do each pack each case at around 15kg mark or have 2 heavier and 1 lighter, personally I would not put Hubby's DJ in a separate suit carrier, I tend to just use a canvas suit cover which weight next to nothing and pack his DJ in the carrier in the suitcase. I use double decker suitcases and put the suit carrier on the top of the bottom section which is then protected by the top section!!

Since I send my ironing out at home, I leave all hubby's shirts to be ironed on the ship so therefore his dress shirt is fine for formal nights