Would you switch to new promo?

Regguy

Booked last month in a suite, and the promo was $200 OBC, $75x2 ($150) specialty dining, $50 per port excursion credit, and 250 minutes of wifi. The same cabin on the same sailing is available to book today, with the four new promos.

I'm trying to figure out whether to switch. Basically, we would lose the $200 OBC, but we would gain unlimited dining instead of the $150 credit, we would gain the beverage package, and we would get an extra $25 per port excursion credit.

The port increase is easy to figure. We plan to do two of four ports DIY. So, the difference will be $50 savings. The UDP is a bit more complicated. To take advantage of it, we probably would end up spending more than if we just had the $150 credit, because there are four of us in the cabin. So if we all go, to use it, we end up spending more out of pocket. If we had the $150 credit, we would probably just go to two specialty dinings and use it. With UDP, we will end up going more and so paying more. But of course, we will have better dinners.

I'm sort of viewing UDP as a wash. So that leaves the beverage package. Would you rather have it, or the extra OBC? My general view is that cash is king. We are not big drinkers, but would like a glass of wine or two at dinner. Maybe a mixed drink here or there.

In the end, this may be a six of one half dozen of the other, but any opinions of those who cruise more and have a sense of how these things are used would be greatly appreciated.

I had a hard time drinking $56 per day with UBP, but it was a nice indulgence. If u can drink 6 drinks a day, then UBP wins.

So, I think my math is off. How did you get to $56? It's a 7-day cruise, so I was thinking the difference between the $200 OBC and the UBP was two or three drinks a day for the two of us.

I would take the UBP but that's me. Have you considered booking through a TA? You most likely could get the UBP and the OBC that you would be giving up otherwise. Just a thought.

Hi. Thanks, yes good point -- we are booked through a TA, so we have Some OBC, but switching would give us $200 less.

Booked last month in a suite, and the promo was $200 OBC, $75x2 ($150) specialty dining, $50 per port excursion credit, and 250 minutes of wifi. The same cabin on the same sailing is available to book today, with the four new promos.

I'm trying to figure out whether to switch. Basically, we would lose the $200 OBC, but we would gain unlimited dining instead of the $150 credit, we would gain the beverage package, and we would get an extra $25 per port excursion credit.

The port increase is easy to figure. We plan to do two of four ports DIY. So, the difference will be $50 savings. The UDP is a bit more complicated. To take advantage of it, we probably would end up spending more than if we just had the $150 credit, because there are four of us in the cabin. So if we all go, to use it, we end up spending more out of pocket. If we had the $150 credit, we would probably just go to two specialty dinings and use it. With UDP, we will end up going more and so paying more. But of course, we will have better dinners.

I'm sort of viewing UDP as a wash. So that leaves the beverage package. Would you rather have it, or the extra OBC? My general view is that cash is king. We are not big drinkers, but would like a glass of wine or two at dinner. Maybe a mixed drink here or there.

In the end, this may be a six of one half dozen of the other, but any opinions of those who cruise more and have a sense of how these things are used would be greatly appreciated.

The rule is that the UBP that Guests 1 and 2 get the UDP while guests beyond that get the Soda package for free. So you get ahead there.

On the UDP only 2 people get it. I'm assuming that your a family. If you have kids they can order from the ship wide kids menu for free while you eat there.

There is more "Value" in the new promo if you'll use those 2 things. If not then the $200 OBC is the better deal.

The rule is that the UBP that Guests 1 and 2 get the UDP while guests beyond that get the Soda package for free. So you get ahead there.

On the UDP only 2 people get it. I'm assuming that your a family. If you have kids they can order from the ship wide kids menu for free while you eat there.

There is more "Value" in the new promo if you'll use those 2 things. If not then the $200 OBC is the better deal.

Oh, the point about not having to pay full fare for the kids at the specialty restaurants is a very good one -- I was sort of adding all that in. That's a good point. I think I probably will get more out of the UDP and UBP, although I hate to give back cash! My one concern is that I'll drink and eat more than I otherwise would just to get the most value, which is silly and which should be a simple matter of self-control!

Ok, I made the switch. Took my TA all of 10 minutes. The tie breaker was that suites don't pay the 18 percent service charge on the UDP or UBP.

In the end, it may not make that much of a difference,but I think I'll get more out of it this way if we use the extra $25 excursion credit for a couple of ports. Thanks everyone for the guidance.

Oh, the point about not having to pay full fare for the kids at the specialty restaurants is a very good one -- I was sort of adding all that in. That's a good point. I think I probably will get more out of the UDP and UBP, although I hate to give back cash! My one concern is that I'll drink and eat more than I otherwise would just to get the most value, which is silly and which should be a simple matter of self-control!

Just as long as they order off the ship wide kids menu, if they want something off the specialty menu they will be charged full price. Just something to consider. The value of the UDP by itself for 2 people is $200, UBP is $400 then the soda packages are @ $90. So you could be looking at @500 worth of incentives for losing that OBC.

Does this offer only include 2 for the UDP? I booked in April and it includes everyone in the cabin with the credit. I haven't looked over the details of this one yet.

Just 2 was the offer that I received.

Now I'm a little confused question is at the end. We booked Oct. 2016 last April on a friends & family sail free. This is what my TA sent me after the deposit was paid.

2 BR suite on Dawn

Full price first 2 next 4 pay tax & port charges.

Tips for first 2 next 4 pay tips (plus butler & cons.)

UDP all 6 passengers

UBP first 2 next 4 get soda package

175.00 toward shore excursion

Should I have her recheck the UDP? Though it really wouldn't be a deal breaker, because we were going anyway just got lucky with the friends & family package. Was checking on kids sail free for our grandson.

My question would be if the fares drop (but still have free friends & family) would dropping the other items be worth it? We liked the dining on the Dawn and are not big drinkers. Has anybody ever seen extra pax free before? Other than the usual kids sail free.

Thanks

Edited by latebloomer56

Just do a dummy booking and make sure the cruise fare has not gone up before you pull the trigger.

Our Jan cruise on the Jade in a 2 bedroom Haven suite has increased $300 per passenger.

We are staying with the OBC. I think that people get excited over the thought of free drinks.... but have seen it time after time that people start drinking heavy on days 1-3 and by day 6 they are either so hung over or just are looking for a glass of water that they really are not getting the true value out of it. If you need a drink or two then that is what the OBC is for unless you designate it for something else. Just my 2 cents. Of course this is all based upon my travels as an inside room cabin - we just cant afford the Haven or suites... which after reading more and more posts seems that is all is on cruisecritic these days lol

Now I'm a little confused question is at the end. We booked Oct. 2016 last April on a friends & family sail free. This is what my TA sent me after the deposit was paid.

2 BR suite on Dawn

Full price first 2 next 4 pay tax & port charges.

Tips for first 2 next 4 pay tips (plus butler & cons.)

UDP all 6 passengers

UBP first 2 next 4 get soda package

175.00 toward shore excursion

Should I have her recheck the UDP? Though it really wouldn't be a deal breaker, because we were going anyway just got lucky with the friends & family package. Was checking on kids sail free for our grandson.

Thanks

If you booked in April that looks right, except the shore excursion credit should be $50 per port. I do not believe you can combine it all towards one.

We are staying with the OBC. I think that people get excited over the thought of free drinks.... but have seen it time after time that people start drinking heavy on days 1-3 and by day 6 they are either so hung over or just are looking for a glass of water that they really are not getting the true value out of it. If you need a drink or two then that is what the OBC is for unless you designate it for something else. Just my 2 cents. Of course this is all based upon my travels as an inside room cabin - we just cant afford the Haven or suites... which after reading more and more posts seems that is all is on cruisecritic these days lol

OBC really depends on the person. With the UBP the first 2 get the alcohol package but the rest get the soda package. So if you think your family will drink less (in alcohol or soda) than the obc then you are doing better. We will probably only have 1 or 2 drinks a day with the alcohol but several sodas. We would've most likely bought the soda package for us anyways. Now I can try some drinks I would never pay for in case I didn't like them.

OBC really depends on the person. With the UBP the first 2 get the alcohol package but the rest get the soda package. So if you think your family will drink less (in alcohol or soda) than the obc then you are doing better. We will probably only have 1 or 2 drinks a day with the alcohol but several sodas. We would've most likely bought the soda package for us anyways. Now I can try some drinks I would never pay for in case I didn't like them.

It is not clear to me under the current promo that guests after the first 2 get soda. I think that's been a feature of some UBP promos, but if I'm reading the terms of this promo right, it doesn't mention that.

If you booked in April that looks right, except the shore excursion credit should be $50 per port. I do not believe you can combine it all towards one.

Thanks at final payment I will have it all in writing :D. This whole thing looks way to good. I know we splurged on the suite (needed the room) so got all promos, but still. We shall see know for sure my guys are tax & port charges only on my confirmation.

We are only going to 1 port Bermuda.

I just called and rebooked our inside cabin and took the $50 shore excursion credit. I thought it was one $50 per cabin. It is actually $50 per Port per cabin. So if you have 3 ports, you have 3 $50 credits.

We are only planning on going on one excursion in St Thomas, but it's still a good deal me as I can pay a cheaper rate through NCL than getting US money from home.

Oh, and I lost the $25 OBC, FYI.

Edited by ilovetotravel1977

I would for this but for some trips I have, I would be paying higher fares of at least $200 to about $700 for just a $50 dining credit / shore excursion or soda package. Its just not worth to me......

Edited by maywell

Hi All,

I just saw the new promo and it would be a much better deal for us than the one we booked under. I calculated about a $700 value difference between the 2 promos if you were getting the beverage package anyway.

I sent my TA an email asking what could be done and if we could switch but I haven't heard back from her yet.

Is it pretty common that they will let you switch? I just booked less than 2 weeks ago for Oct 2016,

Is there any reason they wouldn't? I know I always see the "valid on new bookings... blah blah blah"

If she says we can't switch, should I push the issue? Is it possible to cxl and rebook? The fare is exactly the same as when I booked it.

Thx!

Hi All,

I just saw the new promo and it would be a much better deal for us than the one we booked under. I calculated about a $700 value difference between the 2 promos if you were getting the beverage package anyway.

I sent my TA an email asking what could be done and if we could switch but I haven't heard back from her yet.

Is it pretty common that they will let you switch? I just booked less than 2 weeks ago for Oct 2016,

Is there any reason they wouldn't? I know I always see the "valid on new bookings... blah blah blah"

If she says we can't switch, should I push the issue? Is it possible to cxl and rebook? The fare is exactly the same as when I booked it.

Thx!

I was able to upgrade my 3/2016 and 9/2016 cruises to the new promos without any issues. I couldn't upgrade to new promo for my 9/2015 cruise since my SC cabin level was sold out. I didn't want to take the chance of losing my cabin.