What do we wear?!?!

llibs39

I just returned from Voyager less than 3 weeks ago. It was our 3rd cruise so we knew what to expect for the expected dress code for the main dining room. I can say that sitting on the 3rd floor of the dining room during early seating, I NEVER saw any men there wearing jeans. There were a few young girls wearing them with nice tops. There were also NO men wearing shorts, I was very pleasantly surprised as to how many people followed the recommended dress for the dining room. I did not purchase a jacket for my 11 year old, but he did wear a shirt and tie and was among the norm for his age group there.

Dinner in the dining room is only a 2 hour affair, most people get ready just before and change shortly after. The experience is well worth it, you don't need a tux, but I would wear at least an inexpensive suit, or shirt / tie / and jacket.

As everyone else has suggested, the alternative is room service or the Windjammer buffet. Whatever you decide, I certainly hope your first cruise is fantastic and turns you both into cruise addicts. Have a great time.

Why do you assume that those of us who dress up are snooty? That seems like a pretty immature conclusion to me.

Dressing up for dinner is not a chore for most of us and I for one would never wear shorts to any nice restaurant, anywhere, for dinner. And I live in FL where people take casual to the extreme.

Formal dining rooms on a cruise ship are meant to be just that; it is not a Chili's or a Fridays.

IMO, you should have researched dress codes prior to booking your cruise. If your BF really is only comfortable in shorts and T shirts, formal dining on cruise ships is not well suited to your vacation.

It's not that I'm "immature" or that I don't like getting dressed up once in a while. In fact, I am a professional who wears a suit everday. I wrote this site to get an idea of what I am dealing with and your comment leads me to believe I will be up against a bunch of old timers who don't know how to have fun. FYI no one was planning on wearing cut off shorts in the dining room, we are just not interested in getting decked out head to toe on a vacation thats meant to be relaxing.

We plan to dress by the code when we go on our cruise but if others dont it wont bother me one bit. Have a great cruise!

Is your boyfriend 25 or older? Not that it matters to me but i think theres a rule atleast 1 person in the cabin must be 25.

Anyone making mixed drinks? My blenders broken:eek:

llibs19-

DH and i are sailing on the Voyager in late Sept. also, we leave on the 23rd. we are in our late 20's and enjoy looking nice, but don't want the hassle of a lot of packing/luggage. my two "formal" dresses are pretty and appropriate, but NOT super-fancy ballgown types. if DH can fit in his suit pants, he will pack the suit. if not, well, he will be wearing dress slacks w/ a dress shirt and tie. on all the other nights, we will wear nice casual clothes. khaki's and polos or short sleeved button downs for him, and skirt/sundress/capris for me. i may even sneak in a pair of slinky (flame retardant ;) ) jeans w/ heels on a casual night. i have stressed enough over this packing and dress code stuff. wear what you are comfortable in W/IN RCI'S GUIDELINES, and don't worry about what the people at the next table think.

Is much like every day life. 1- You have those who say live and let live. 2-Those who say rules are meant to be broken. 3-Those that insist suggestions must be followed. 4-Those who like to have a good time and roll with the punches and 5-Those who feel it necessary to point out those who do not conform and complain about every little thing they don't like.

We are 1 and 4 who are you? :D

And since we are talking about cold ones, I'll have a frosty tall cold brew and a shot of Jack Daniels on the side!

Can't wait for that one next friday on VOS!!!

It's not that I'm "immature" or that I don't like getting dressed up once in a while. In fact, I am a professional who wears a suit everday. I wrote this site to get an idea of what I am dealing with and your comment leads me to believe I will be up against a bunch of old timers who don't know how to have fun. FYI no one was planning on wearing cut off shorts in the dining room, we are just not interested in getting decked out head to toe on a vacation thats meant to be relaxing.

Yes, that perfectly characterizes people who enjoy dressing appropriately.:rolleyes:

gin & diet tonic for me!! oops, gotta get through the work day first!! or is it really 5:00 somewhere??? :D

If you’d already decided what you wanted to hear regarding your boyfriends attire, why did you bother asking? As people have suggested, maybe you’d be more comfortable in the Windjammer or with room service. That wasn’t a nasty suggestion, just an option for you if you don’t feel like dressing up. You will not go hungry on a cruise, even if you choose to eat in your underwear in your room.

BTW, since when does the desire to maintain the dress code suggested by the cruise line we’re traveling on equal advanced age and an inability to have fun? Some of the best memories I have from vacations with my husband are from when we’re dressed to the nines, doing something we wouldn’t do at home. And we’re still both under 30. :D

We plan to dress by the code when we go on our cruise but if others dont it wont bother me one bit. Have a great cruise!

Is your boyfriend 25 or older? Not that it matters to me but i think theres a rule atleast 1 person in the cabin must be 25.

Anyone making mixed drinks? My blenders broken:eek:

Frozen margaritas are at the ready......salt or no salt? 12_13_2.gif

Is much like every day life. 1- You have those who say live and let live. 2-Those who say rules are meant to be broken. 3-Those that insist suggestions must be followed. 4-Those who like to have a good time and roll with the punches and 5-Those who feel it necessary to point out those who do not conform and complain about every little thing they don't like.

We are 1 and 4 who are you? :D

And since we are talking about cold ones, I'll have a frosty tall cold brew and a shot of Jack Daniels on the side!

Can't wait for that one next friday on VOS!!!

Aiming to please 10_7_1.gif 10_7_3.gif

Wow I was hoping you guys would be a little less formal with your suggestions. I know I asked but that leaves me with the question Why does it really matter so much, I can see getting all dressed for a formal night but I'm really not worried about offending anyone especially considering we paid as much as the snooty guy sitting next to us. Just some food for thought Does it really matter that much???

I highly doubt you paid as much as many others on the cruise. Personally I'd rather be with someone who had the class to dress appropriately as requested by the cruise line than someone who couldn't be bothered and had the "I paid a lot for my vacation so I'm going to do what ever I want to" mentality.

I find it also spills over past the way people dress, such as making all sorts of noise at all hours of the day and night, being habitually late to dinner, and generally being boorish, because after all, it's "all about them".

Anne

While I am waiting for the popcorn to reach me (could I have mine with a frou frou drink please:D )....

You asked a question. I answered it. I chose to answer it, even though I try to stay clear of tempestuous topics on this board, because your BF sounded a lot like my DH. I gave you suggestions for what would be both comfortable, easy to pack, and appropriate.

Your response? You have suggested that I and the others who have tried to help, are "snooty" "old timers". My DH and I are in our early 30's and LOVE to have fun (pass another frou frou drink please) but we also like to be polite and respectful and that includes following dress codes.

If you were asking for permission to wear jeans and shorts in the DR you aren't likely to find it on these boards. If this is what your BF wants to wear no one is going to stop him (except the odd Maitre d'). If you want to know what is appropriate, read what has been posted above. Also as stated above, if you would like a more relaxed dining option there is always the Windjammer and depending on the ship, JR's or Seaview Cafe, PR cafe, etc.

I will shut up and eat my popcorn now, if it is ready....

Maybe you don't want to worry about what anyone else in the dining room thinks, but would you really feel comfortable in a setting where everyone else is dressed in khakis, etc. and you are the only ones wearing jeans? I know that I would certainly feel out of place and uncomfortable.

If this is such a big deal for your boyfriend, just plan on eating in the Windjammer every night and be comfortable. If you make that choice, you will also have less packing to do.

Why does it really matter so much, I can see getting all dressed for a formal night but I'm really not worried about offending anyone especially considering we paid as much as the snooty guy sitting next to us. Does it really matter that much???

Your initial question is a good one, but if you are seriously looking for an answer, you need to be 'open' enough to listen to what people are going to say.

Why does it matter so much? Because there are guidelines written by the cruise ship on what to wear. They are trying to create an atmosphere in the dining room for those that want to have a bit of 'elegance' while on vacation. If this sort of thing does not suit you, there are other options. No one is stopping you from eating in the Windjammer and it is a viable solution for those who do not wish to follow the dress codes for the dining room (or for those that want some privacy).

Please do not make assumptions that the person sitting next to you at the table is snooty. Most people are just everyday people out to have a nice vacation where they can finally dress up for a change. Do not judge.

Before our first cruise I worried about the dress code also. But once you're on the ship you will find that it is not as big of a deal as it seems. DH and I ended up eating in the WJ 6 out of the 7 nights due to that fact that not one person at our table spoke the same language. It was very awkward. The WJ was great for us as we got to eat whenever we wanted and we could wear whatever we were comfortable in. On the last formal night we did change into our formal wear after eating so that I could enjoy dressing up for the shows and for the pictures.

Whatever you do, just relax. This is your vacation... do what you guys feel comfortable doing and do not worry about what others are doing. Just please follow guidelines. Just know that there are certain places to wear certain things. Just like you would not wear club clothes to church or wear an evening gown to McDonalds!

Have a wonderful cruise!

Your response? You have suggested that I and the others who have tried to help, are "snooty" "old timers". My DH and I are in our early 30's and LOVE to have fun

I couldn't agree more. I'm older than you, and still like to have fun. In fact my definition of that is photographing, interviewing, and reviewing rock bands, in the past six weeks that's included Whitesnake, Chevelle, Velvet Revolver, and Staind. In the next six weeks it will include Seether, Breaking Benjamin, Shinedown, and Alice Cooper. Hardly something "snooty" or "old fogey" about that.

Just like I wouldn't wear a dinner dress into the photo pit at a concert, I wouldn't wear my jeans and t-shirt to dinner on a cruise line. There is a time and place for everything, and I've gotten pretty far in my life by respecting what was asked and expected of me in various social situations.

Anne

. What is accepted and what are my options? Help!:o

You have been given many options by various posters, and it seems you have read the RCCL suggested attire for the dining room that is asked to be accepted by all. There is not much more help we can give you.

Sorry guys this bar is closed and moving on to other threads where our help will be taken to heart.

Just let your BF know that if he does wear jeans to dinner, there are going to be consequences. He might not get kicked out of the dining room, but there will be akward moments for him with others who are trying to enjoy their meal in a certain type of atmosphere.

I'm not trying to flame you or be argumentative, but I must disagree with this statement. There are no RCCL rules against jeans. There is absolutely no chance of him getting kicked out for wearing them and I doubt any one will notice or care. I'm not recommending he wear jeans. I think a woman can wear a pair of denim trousers with the right top and accessories and look more appropriately dressed than the woman next to her in khaki pants, even though she is technically wearing jeans. Men's fashion is much more cut-and-dry than women's, though, and men's jeans are almost always extremely casual. So while I don't recommend it, it is not against the rules, and I seriously doubt there will be an "consequences" if he does wear jeans, except maybe from nosy, arrogant passengers, who will be party-poopers no matter what.

Well now you know what you're dealing with. People of all ages cruise and most of them are happy to follow the guidelines for the dining room. You don't have to be dressed to the nines on any night, even formal. The guidelines tell you what is expected. If these "suggestions" on what to wear aren't for you, then try the Windjammer or maybe another type of vacation will suit you better.

Archived