New Charleston Park & Cruise option

fhmoore

I finally booked a park and cruise hotel! The new Wyndham Garden in Mt Pleasant. It includes parking for the 5 days of the cruise, free wifi, transfer to and from the port and a breakfast buffet, according to TripAdvisor, that is fabulous! The morning of the cruise the shuttle leaves at 11:30 but if you have proof of FTTF purchase it's 10:30. The shuttle loops continuously from the port back to the hotel. Price is $169 ($191 with all the taxes and fees). It is not listed on the CVB website but here's the link if anyone interested.

http://www.wyndham.com/hotels/south-carolina/mount-pleasant/wyndham-garden-mount-pleasant-charleston/information-special-offers?partner_id=&hotel_id=32014&campaign_code=&propId=WY32014&checkout_date&brand_id=WY&useWRPoints=false&children=0&corporate_id&ratePlan&teens=0&affiliate_id=&iata=&rate_code&adults=1&checkin_date&rooms=1

I finally booked a park and cruise hotel! The new Wyndham Garden in Mt Pleasant. It includes parking for the 5 days of the cruise, free wifi, transfer to and from the port and a breakfast buffet, according to TripAdvisor, that is fabulous!

It's a beautiful property. The General Manager and Sales Manager are good peep. Both have been in the Charleston hotel market for many years. The price they're charging is reasonable.

Thanks, ChucktownSteve! Good to know about the owners and the property from a Charlestonian! I'm just glad to have found a breakfast buffet so I can get my grits fix!

I was born in Orangeburg and my mother was from Holy Hill so I'm sort of returning to my roots. My father was in the Navy and we'd always go "home" to the farm when he was out to sea if I was out of school.

Next request...How are the Charleston Crab Shacks and if not great is there a restaurant in Mt Pleasant with decent to good seafood that won't cost us more that the cruise fare??

Thanks, ChucktownSteve! Good to know about the owners and the property from a Charlestonian! I'm just glad to have found a breakfast buffet so I can get my grits fix!

I was born in Orangeburg and my mother was from Holy Hill so I'm sort of returning to my roots. My father was in the Navy and we'd always go "home" to the farm when he was out to sea if I was out of school.

Next request...How are the Charleston Crab Shacks and if not great is there a restaurant in Mt Pleasant with decent to good seafood that won't cost us more that the cruise fare??

I'm not sure I would call grits, if served at a free hotel breakfast buffet, "good" grits. lol

Look at the restaurants along Shem Creek. Then check out their reviews on Yelp, Urban Spoon and TripAdvisor.

Everyone has their favorite spot. Two of the old standbys that have been there the longest are Shem Creek Bar & Grill http://www.shemcreekbarandgrill.com/ordereze/home.aspx and RB's Seafood http://rbsonshemcreek.com/. They're on opposite sides of Coleman Blvd which is very convenient to your hotel. Those would be my first two choices along with the next restaurant.

Another popular restaurant is Page's Okra Grille http://www.pagesokragrill.com/ which is just before you get to Shem Creek on Coleman Blvd. They have southern flair with seafood. Just not the water/marsh view.

Also on Shem Creek there's Vickerys and Red's Ice House. I would definitely never select The Wreck, which is way over priced (downtown prices) and under portioned. It's a tourist trap that serves their food on Styrofoam plates with plastic-ware. Vickerys may have the best view but not the best food in my opinion.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Thanks! Chucktown Steve!

Coming from Norfolk VA my husband knows his seafood and is very picky! He's the biggest crab cake snob in the world. Someone suggested the Crab Shack's crab cakes is why I ask about that restaurant. He became a shrimp and grits fan at a my cousins wedding a few years ago.

I just look for good fried fish and I like the Calabash style.

Thanks! Chucktown Steve!

Coming from Norfolk VA my husband knows his seafood and is very picky! He's the biggest crab cake snob in the world. Someone suggested the Crab Shack's crab cakes is why I ask about that restaurant. He became a shrimp and grits fan at a my cousins wedding a few years ago.

I just look for good fried fish and I like the Calabash style.

I personally can't suggest going to the Crab Shack. I stopped going there several years ago after a few disappointing visits. They have cooks not chefs.

If you want an upscale seafood restaurant, look at Hank's Seafood downtown. DO NOT go to Hyman's Seafood no matter what anyone says. Their food is mediocre at best. They give free food to the tour guides and carriage drivers who recommend them. Since they're so low paid, free food is a good "income":eek: They also close off dining rooms to create a long line outside to make it appear more in demand so you think it must be a great restaurant.

Now it's up to your DH to do his research and pick the restaurant he believes will best suit his taste since that's so subjective.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

We want more low keyed, flip fops type of restaurant. Since I like my fish fried no fancy stuff. The mention of Page's Okra Grill sounds like it may fit the bill. And it sounds close to the hotel. I would be looking for good BBQ (I love mustard sauce!) but we will be going to Sweatmans when we meet up with cousins in Holly Hill. It's a family tradition since the venue was a great-great-great aunts home years ago.

Thanks for all the good info!

OOOPs- Just checked Page's website...they close at 2PM on Sunday! We won't get there till at least 3PM. More research I guess!

Edited by fhmoore

OOOPs- Just checked Page's website...they close at 2PM on Sunday! We won't get there till at least 3PM. More research I guess!

OOPS is right. Didn't know when you were coming. :) I'd check out Shem Creek bar & grill. They're not upscale. The last time we ate there, it was good. Although it was a while ago. So see the latest reviews on tripadvisor to see if its what you want.

Good luck.

Hi Chucktownsteve, it seems like you know a lot about Charlston. We are looking and planning our next cruise, I think I found one cruise that we might take, looking for all info about port of Charston. What hotel would be very convenient for us I am partially handicapped hard time walking. We are planning on getting there the night before cruise usually we are about 9 people. Want a hotel near port we are driving from NY just want any info you might have on this port. My thanks in advance.

Hi Chucktownsteve, it seems like you know a lot about Charlston. We are looking and planning our next cruise, I think I found one cruise that we might take, looking for all info about port of Charston. What hotel would be very convenient for us I am partially handicapped hard time walking. We are planning on getting there the night before cruise usually we are about 9 people. Want a hotel near port we are driving from NY just want any info you might have on this port. My thanks in advance.

I'd like to be able to help you but your request is pretty broad. Timing and budget are important factors.

I would suggest you begin narrowing down your options first by visiting the Charleston CVB web site. It really is a wealth of Charleston information. http://www.charlestoncvb.com/

Then I can offer you more helpful information. There are several Inns near the port. However a short taxi ride would probably be better for the mobility issue.

I try not to steer anyone towards specific favorite restaurants and hotels but offer opinions based on preferences that fit requests.

BTW, do you have a handicapped placard?

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Some properties you could look at close to the port are: (in no particular order) Ansonborough Inn, Meeting Street Inn, French Quarter Inn, King Charles Inn Best Western or Harborview Inn. There's also a Days Inn on Meeting Street next to the Meeting Street Inn.

Edited by ChucktownSteve