Belize - Excursion Panic (Carnival Miracle)

voyagerfl

Aaaahhhhhhhhhhh,

Figured I'd better start getting ready for our October 30th Miracle cruise.

Roll Call = http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=4682365#post4682365

I went to Carnivals website and all the excursions for Belize have disappeared !

All the ones for Costa Maya, Cozumel & Grand Cayman are still there.

Belize says 'nothing available' Aaaagggghhhhhhhh

Of course logic tells me...Carnivals site is just messed up (as usual) But.......of course there is the panic..!!! What if they are all booked up ??

Anyway......I know it's been asked before, but can someone please give me the names of those private vendors for the Cave Tubing ??

x

We did Cave Tubing with Xtreme Tours. It was the best. Ask to have Richard as your guide. He was great. We went in Oct of last year and had the time of our lives. It would be something I'd do again. He will give you the option of buying lunch for after the tubing. Do that. It was a great meal.

http://belizecruiseexcursions.com/CaveTubingBelize.htm

In Costa Maya go to Mahajual Beach. It is a small fishing town about 5 mins taxi ride from the dock. We had a wonderful day lounging on the beach and eating. The food was good. Fresh fish. There is a cruise ship built area that is nice also, but that beach is low key and relaxing. Water is warm and you can walk out forever in it.

I second the motion...Xtreme is great! I've used them twice now, and have been happy both times. The first time there were only 5 of us, the second, 6 or 7. the price is cheaper also.

The lunch afterwards is a great deal! for $5 you get bbq chicken, a slaw type salad, rice/beans, fried pantain,slice of bread, and the most delicious chocolate cupcake. The local beer is $3 (I think).

Have fun

Please excuse me for high-jacking your thread... ;) ... can anyone who's done the cave tubing tellme if it would be an inappropriate excursion for a 12yo developmentally delayed child? (He's more like half his age). I hear everyone rave ove the excursion, but is it scarey? ANy details you would like to share on voyagerfl's thread :o

Thanks

A~

PS... do you actually feel any fish swimming up against you? My DD (on the other hand) gets the skeevies from fish... :rolleyes:

Thanks again!

Please excuse me for high-jacking your thread... ;) ... can anyone who's done the cave tubing tellme if it would be an inappropriate excursion for a 12yo developmentally delayed child? (He's more like half his age). I hear everyone rave ove the excursion, but is it scarey? ANy details you would like to share on voyagerfl's thread :o

Thanks

A~

PS... do you actually feel any fish swimming up against you? My DD (on the other hand) gets the skeevies from fish... :rolleyes:

Thanks again!

No fish. You child would need to be able to walk about 45 minutes down a path, carry his own tube likely. If the guide does it, a big tip is in order. Do a hand over hand rope pull in his tour across the river to the other side, some climbing.

The entry point is smooth rock bottom, wear old sneakers, but there can be a current.

My opinion only, I wouldn't take anyone under 12. Most cruise ship tours limit to 12 or older for this tour.

Just4kix

I have an 11 year old with Down Syndrome whom I did not take. He doesn't have any mobility problems but I don't think it would have been a good thing for him. Things scare him more than usual. At the time we went the river was not a raging river. I would have taken my 8 y/o "typical" child, but it would have freaked Brandon out. I think it depends on your childs abilites. Brandon functions about half his age also. We do take him on alot of things and encourage him to do stuff. It's good to see you include your child in things. IF you have any questions feel free to e mail me ih855@aol.com

Debbie

We just returned on Sat from our cruise. We had a group of 11 and booked through cave-tubing.com. It was $45 for the tour, less than any others I saw and the best customer service and tour! We all had an amazing time. While all those who booked through the ship were paddling away with their tubes, our guides, yhony, timmy and rafael, pulled, paddled and led us on a very relaxing and beautiful ride down the river. On carnival, if you don't have an excursion booked through them, you need to be sure to get a tender ticket that morning in order to get off the boat and meet with your guides. Hope that helps and have a great time!

Thanks for the detailed info on this excursion. Although I think it sounds like a great adventure, I think it best we pass on this one... this year, anyways! Besides my DS, we are traveling with family who have a petite 9 yo DD. Better safe than sorry!

A~

PS... Debbie, I emailed you. Thanks! :)

In general, as an excursion, cave tubing was the best one my family has done. We are still talking about it. I'm sure all of the independent operators are great versus the cruise tour in terms of service (customer to guide ratio) and PRICE. We went with Yhony and cave-tubing.com but Reggie and his groups were also there at the same time. The guides from both groups helped everyone out and they were all good friends.

With Yhony you pay when you get off the bus at the end of the trip so if the weather doesn't cooperate and you don't go or even get to Belize (heaven forbid) then you don't pay. No worries about a refund. Make your reservation on line and they will be waiting for you at the terminal. Do your best to get an early tender so everyone else doen't have to wait.

An earlier post mentioned Timmy and Rafael as guides. We had them in our group too and they were great. Timmy did most of the commentary on the trip to the park and took questions about Belize (government, religion, education, etc.) Timmy is also a member of a gospel band which tours all around performing. During the hike and float he kept trying to get everyone to sing. Day-O!!! At one point he sang on of his band's songs. It may not be everyone's cup of tea but with the accoustics inside the caves, it sounded amazing. He is very talented. Rafael and Timmy raced all over the river keeping the group together. They had a friend with them named Vicky and she stayed with a family to personally watch their small children. If you have a concern about taking children then email them to explain your situation. They will make sure they have extra guides to help or advise you that the children may be too young.

During the hike stay close to one of the guides and ask questions about the jungle and vegetation. They are all very knowledgeable (i.e. the coo coo nuts).

Happy tubin'

Sure! Wow, you have to do the cave tubing and rain forest because it was everything and more than I ever imagined. I did a my homework and Cave-Tubing .com payed off for us. I never felt worried only pure wonder once I arrived there. I will be going back one day for sure. Have a wonderful time and take time to enjoy all that you see!

My friend used Reg Tours and Reggie himself was the tourguide and she said he was the greatest. She said he took total care of her 9yo daughter and made sure nothing happened to her so the rest of the family could enjoy themselves without fear of losing her or anything.

My family has booked with Nacho and Cynthia for November and I'll write back to let everyone know how they are. We chose them because we can change and have lunch in Jaguar Paw resort. Their website is: www.ncqadventuretours.com This is also one of those "pay after you're satisfied" kind of tours.

Good Luck.

As someone else had mentioned, cave-tubing.com doesn't require payment until they drop you back off at the port. They had also told us that they had a large group one time and upon arriving found that the water was too high for safe tubing. They asked the group if they would rather do a dry cave tour and changed routes and took them there instead at their request.

Voyager:

The reason the Belize trips have disappeared is because the itinerary has changed. The stops in Belize and Cozumel have been swapped. According to my TA, the website will not be available to book trips through Carnival until September 21.

However, for your cruise the letter from Carnival says that they will handle rebooking the shore excursions once you get on the ship.

That being said, I still highly recommend using an independent operator. They are cheaper, less crowded and generally get better reviews than the ship-sponsored excursions.

• 2 weeks later...

Voyagerfl - make sure you go with Richards group (some times there are more than one) He is the best. Very knowledgable. You will have a great time. Be sure to order the BBQ when Richard asks for orders. It was YUMMY.

They are always on top of changes and ship time.

Archived