The SteakHouse

MrsAReid

I was on the Carnival Pride two weeks ago and had dinner at David's. I had the Surf & Turf and it was excellent. The entire meal was excellent as was the service.

The MD whispered to my wife and me that the man at the table next to us was getting ready to propose to his girlfriend. He had set it up with the MD to have the proposal written and included in the menu. The MD was taking pictures the whole time as they were looking at the menu and when she turned the menu page to the proposal, he got down on his knee and asked her to marry him. She said yes and there was lots of crying in the room (others were watching too) and we all applauded.

How nice, wonder how often it happens there.

But imagine if she said no.

We always go on the first and last nights of the cruise. It's a special way to start off your cruise and it gives you something to look forward to at the end of the cruise. For the free wine you can pick from a chardenay or a merlot. We get the merlot and it's just fair but we finish it. The apps, soups, salads and entrees are all good but the desserts are only fair to poor for me. Of course it could be I'm already full from everything else!

How nice, wonder how often it happens there.

But imagine if she said no.

Wouldn't that make for an awkward cruise?

While waiting to board the Breeze, we talked with a few couples and said much the same about the weddings. I really hope that works out, otherwise that would really suck to be stuck in an 8 day cruise with someone you just married and realized you really don't like all that much.

Tip in the SH is $15, and included, per person.

Where did you get the info that the tip is $15 per person? If you order the Steakhouse meat in the MDR, you pay $20 for it and it doesn't include anything else from the Steakhouse.

I have never in all my cruises on Carnival heard that $15 is the tip and sorry, but I have a really hard time believing that. Please show me where your info is posted so I can change my mind.

Hello. I hope everyone is having a great day. The DH and I will be traveling aboard Carnival Breeze on 11/1 and I personally want to know is the steakhouse really worth the 35 per person? My husband do not eat steak like I do so are there any other options he can choose from? Please give your honest opinions and your experience if you had dinner at the steakhouse. Also, is it true you get a FREE bottle of wine?

I think if I were to do it, I would only do it on the first night with the free bottle of wine. Santa Carolina wine, red or white is ok in my books. I do eat beef, just not much of it. Large portions like 8oz of it would likely get half left on my plate.

The other options on the menu, ie; the lobster (photos I have seen, look kind of puny), or the chicken and pasta, just dont look appealing to me. The menu in general is not terribly appealing to me. Therefore the only way I would spend 35.00 for the experience would be with the free bottle of wine. this just me though. Others rave about it, and some folks go there every night of the cruise (cant figure that though, the menu is already boring first night for me)

Where did you get the info that the tip is $15 per person? If you order the Steakhouse meat in the MDR, you pay $20 for it and it doesn't include anything else from the Steakhouse.

I have never in all my cruises on Carnival heard that $15 is the tip and sorry, but I have a really hard time believing that. Please show me where your info is posted so I can change my mind.

For whatever reason Carnival will not say how much the tip in the steakhouse is but do encourage us to add to it. Find that kind of bizarre

We always go to the steakhouse twice during our cruise. The lobster ravioli is fantastic! It seems to me that the 50% off a bottle of wine happens on random nights. That is a great time to try a bottle of wine that you wouldn't normally buy.

We always go to the steakhouse twice during our cruise. The lobster ravioli is fantastic! It seems to me that the 50% off a bottle of wine happens on random nights. That is a great time to try a bottle of wine that you wouldn't normally buy.

Is that about $10 per ravioli? :eek:

Are you saying when you ordered a steakhouse meal in the MDR, you got no other courses with it? No starter no pasta no side no dessert?

Worth every penny of the $35, but I'm not so sure it's $15 additional gratuity per person...

That said, I went once on my last Carnival cruise, I'm going to book, in advance, at least two visits on my next one. We were able to add ourselves to our friends' reservations on the last night last time, I'll be more diligent about getting my own next go 'round.

I had surf & turf, my husband had lamb. Both were excellent. And there is no room for dessert, but it's worth a bite or two just to try.

I am a pretty cheap person and don't generally spend a lot of extra money on a cruise. That being said, I would never miss going to the steakhouse at least once per cruise. It is a wonderful experience and the food is sublime -- all much better quality than what you would have in the MDR (which I love so that is not an insult of the MDR).

Are you saying when you ordered a steakhouse meal in the MDR, you got no other courses with it? No starter no pasta no side no dessert?

What I am saying, and I think you know fully well what I am saying, is that the only SteakHouse part of the meal is the meat or lobster. The sides are the ones served that night in the MDR that are already paid for with your cruise. You do NOT get the sides from the SteakHouse, ie huge shrimp cocktail, beef carpaccio, freshly made Caesar salad, lobster bisque, French onion soup, wasabi mashed potatoes, mushrooms etc.

The quality of the foods in the SteakHouse is higher than the MDR and the choices are the more expensive ones also. The dessert sampler is never available in the MDR nor is the huge piece of cheesecake, albeit, cheesecake is served and some of the names of the appetizers are the same as those served in the MDR, but they are not the same at all.

So, as I asked you before, please show me where the tip is $15. There is no way that the servers there get that much per passenger.

Hello. I hope everyone is having a great day. The DH and I will be traveling aboard Carnival Breeze on 11/1 and I personally want to know is the steakhouse really worth the 35 per person? My husband do not eat steak like I do so are there any other options he can choose from? Please give your honest opinions and your experience if you had dinner at the steakhouse. Also, is it true you get a FREE bottle of wine?

Is it worth the $35pp? ABSOLUTELY! My wife and I always eat in the steakhouse on the ships that have them. The steaks are fantastic! The free wine is only on the first night of your cruise, however. We HIGHLY recommend trying the steakhouse for yourselves. You won't be disappointed.

:cool:Bill

I ate at the Steakhouse on the Liberty when it was called Harrys and was $30. Was it worth it? Yes and no. It was worth it to find out for myself but to me the meal was barely worth the $30 so I skipped it on the Breeze.

I almost booked it on the Breeze and noticed it was more and depending on when you went there was a huge cluster / gaggle / crowd of people blocking the way in for the comedy club. I did get in and it looked about as appealing as a trendy Dennys.

Oh and they dont serve Porterhouse in Carnival steakhouses.

Personally I think you should give it a try, everything we say here really doesn't matter, some will rave about it, some wont.

IMHO I say give it a shot and try it.

Edited by Rottweiler Puppy

I ate at the Steakhouse on the Liberty when it was called Harrys and was $30. Was it worth it? Yes and no. It was worth it to find out for myself but to me the meal was barely worth the $30 so I skipped it on the Breeze.

I almost booked it on the Breeze and noticed it was more and depending on when you went there was a huge cluster / gaggle / crowd of people blocking the way in for the comedy club. I did get in and it looked about as appealing as a trendy Dennys.

Personally I think you should give it a try, everything we say here really doesn't matter, some will rave about it, some wont.

IMHO I say give it a shot and try it.

I do agree. The location on the Breeze leaves much to be desired. It should be up top, but that is where they relocated Camp Carnival.

I also agree that I wasn't that impressed by the steakhouse. It was a good steak, but I doubt I will return in the future. If and when I sail again, I'd rather try the Italian place.

The same meal at a prime steakhouse on land will often run $100.00pp.

The same cruiseship steakhouse meal can be had for about $35 on land but not include tip.

Carnival, Princess, NCL and RCCL (only ones I tried) steakhouses are not the same quality or selection that you get at $100 per plate steakhouses on land. They are good but not that good. I say they are $40 per plate at best.

I do agree. The location on the Breeze leaves much to be desired. It should be up top, but that is where they relocated Camp Carnival.

I also agree that I wasn't that impressed by the steakhouse. It was a good steak, but I doubt I will return in the future. If and when I sail again, I'd rather try the Italian place.

I am going to try that next time as well. Hoping to redo the Breeze again soon if all works out.

Where do you get USDA prime steak on land for $35.00? (I'm there).

You don't. But you also are assuming your MDR meal was free, it wasn't. Instead of serving you a MDR meal, they are serving you in the steakhouse for that cost plus another 35.

And finally, if that really was prime, I'm disappointed.

Where do you get USDA prime steak on land for $35.00? (I'm there).

On land in the US? Nowhere.

If Carnivals steak was Prime, then I will say I have had better Choice. I was also told my Ribeye was "aged to their specification" but could not tell me if it was dry or wet aged and for how long.

Like I said, it was a good steak, but nothing brag worthy.

Do ships with a steakhouse have the steakhouse selections in the MDR? They do on Triumph (no steakhouse) for $20. It's just the entree upgrade, no appetizer or dessert upgrade. Steak was good, but not so good as the one I had in steakhouse on Magic. Anyway, another option if they offer it.