Getting from Port of Marseille to Aix and Cassis

NewCruiserMPC

So I need some help. Will be docking here on Sunday for 11 hours

Can someone share what the best way to get from the port of Marseille to Aix and Cassis is? Is taxi better? If so how much does it cost?

If by train/bus is easy... please share bus # and or any additional advice you may have. Would appreciate it so much!!!!

Lastly, which should we go to first when we arrive?

There is a lot written on this board if you use the search option but lets talk a little about your options. First, you are talking about a Sunday which means that nearly all the shops in the cities will be closed (there are some touristy shops open). It also rules out rental cars since nearly all the agencies (not at an airport) are closed on Sundays. As to Aix and Cassis, they are in opposite directions from Marseille, so going to both those cities is difficult on public transit. You can certainly hire a taxi (or a private car/driver) for the day and if you are OK with paying several hundred Euros you can go where you please.

It is relatively easy to get from Marseille to Aix by simply taking a shuttle bus or taxi into town (from the port). You need to go to the St Charles Train Station (you can walk from the shuttle drop point or a taxi will get you to the right place) where you can catch either a regional train or regional bus (the bus station is outside the train station). There are also trains and buses to Cassis, but keep in mind that the Cassis train station is a few kilometers from the center of town.

You also should do some research on what you want to see and do in these places. Aix is actually a pretty large city so it is helpful to have a plan of action.

Hank

Hank, you have always been so helpful on these boards. I have a quick question. We will be flying into Marseille for a Med cruise. I am thinking of going to Aix on the day we arrive (not sure how we will feel following a transatlantic flight). Do you think a couple of hours in Aix is enough while we are waiting for our hotel rooms? My plan was to hire a private tour from the airport, tour for 4-5 hours, then have them drop us off at the hotel. What do you think of this plan?

We will definitely be back to the south of France so I know that eventually we will have more time to spend but just curious if it is worth the private tour (approx 300 euro). I have been to Paris several times but really looking forward to Provence.

Hank, you have always been so helpful on these boards. I have a quick question. We will be flying into Marseille for a Med cruise. I am thinking of going to Aix on the day we arrive (not sure how we will feel following a transatlantic flight). Do you think a couple of hours in Aix is enough while we are waiting for our hotel rooms? My plan was to hire a private tour from the airport, tour for 4-5 hours, then have them drop us off at the hotel. What do you think of this plan?

We will definitely be back to the south of France so I know that eventually we will have more time to spend but just curious if it is worth the private tour (approx 300 euro). I have been to Paris several times but really looking forward to Provence.

Not sure :). Seems like a lot of hassle (and money) to go to Aix for a short time. So ask yourself what you would want to do in Aix for 2 hours while you are probably exhausted (jet lag). Aix is a pretty large city (over 150,000) and you should have some kind of plan where you want to go and what you want to see. When we fly into Europe (anywhere) our norm is to go directly to our hotel and drop our luggage (nearly all hotels will store your luggage in a secure room). If you have any valuables, ask your hotel to give you a safe deposit box (most will do this with no problem) so you can lock up your important stuff right away. After doing all that, if you still want to go to Aix why not simply take the train or regional bus. You will save most of that 300 Euros (which will pay for a great dinner) and you can simply do as you please in Aix. You can easily learn just about everything you need to know (about Aix) on the internet and perhaps pick-up a Rick Steves book. In fact he has a Provence and French Riviera guide for Kindles (and probably other devices) which are good for modern folks who hate carrying books.

Hank

P.S. One bonus that can happen by going to a hotel early is that sometimes (not often) your room might just be ready. When this happens it really makes our day :).

Edited by Hlitner

We love Aix, have gone out of our way to spend a full week there two separate years. Having read that sentence, though, bear with some further thoughts. Aix, particularly Vieux Aix, is the sort of place that wants to be savored. Wine and beautiful-people watching from a bistro table along the Cours Mirabou will demand two hours anyway. Trailing your hand in several fountains on shade dappled streets another hour or more. Noshing that delightful snack you were handed by the guy in the crepes shop on the way to hear an organ recital at San Sauveur cathedral? Not a pastime to spend glancing at your wrist watch. Aix-en-Provence is absolutely a must see town, but within your time constraints I highly recommend enjoying the sights of Marseilles this trip. Okay, to your actual question. St Charles station is a healthy, brisk walk from the M harbor but its train connection is direct to Aix (assuming no strikes have been called by SNCF workers). But after you alight, as you walk from the station to the massive plane trees of Cours Mirabou I suggest you scope out where a taxi may be secured for the ride back to your ship. My recollection of Sundays there, is that public transport is minimal, certainly not to be counted on for any deadline.

Not sure :). Seems like a lot of hassle (and money) to go to Aix for a short time. So ask yourself what you would want to do in Aix for 2 hours while you are probably exhausted (jet lag). Aix is a pretty large city (over 150,000) and you should have some kind of plan where you want to go and what you want to see. When we fly into Europe (anywhere) our norm is to go directly to our hotel and drop our luggage (nearly all hotels will store your luggage in a secure room). If you have any valuables, ask your hotel to give you a safe deposit box (most will do this with no problem) so you can lock up your important stuff right away. After doing all that, if you still want to go to Aix why not simply take the train or regional bus. You will save most of that 300 Euros (which will pay for a great dinner) and you can simply do as you please in Aix. You can easily learn just about everything you need to know (about Aix) on the internet and perhaps pick-up a Rick Steves book. In fact he has a Provence and French Riviera guide for Kindles (and probably other devices) which are good for modern folks who hate carrying books.

Hank

P.S. One bonus that can happen by going to a hotel early is that sometimes (not often) your room might just be ready. When this happens it really makes our day :).

Thanks for your feedback. I think we will play it by ear. I don't usually get jet lag but you never know. Plus we can see what the weather is like at that time. It is calling for thunderstorms. I mostly like to DIY as I feel like that is part of the fun of exploring so if we feel up to it and can drop our bags and go, then we will. I have a guide book and Tom's Port Guide with a few ideas planned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We love Aix, have gone out of our way to spend a full week there two separate years. Having read that sentence, though, bear with some further thoughts. Aix, particularly Vieux Aix, is the sort of place that wants to be savored. Wine and beautiful-people watching from a bistro table along the Cours Mirabou will demand two hours anyway. Trailing your hand in several fountains on shade dappled streets another hour or more. Noshing that delightful snack you were handed by the guy in the crepes shop on the way to hear an organ recital at San Sauveur cathedral? Not a pastime to spend glancing at your wrist watch. Aix-en-Provence is absolutely a must see town, but within your time constraints I highly recommend enjoying the sights of Marseilles this trip. Okay, to your actual question. St Charles station is a healthy, brisk walk from the M harbor but its train connection is direct to Aix (assuming no strikes have been called by SNCF workers). But after you alight, as you walk from the station to the massive plane trees of Cours Mirabou I suggest you scope out where a taxi may be secured for the ride back to your ship. My recollection of Sundays there, is that public transport is minimal, certainly not to be counted on for any deadline.

Thanks for your input. We do have some time to explore in advance of our cruise so depending on weather and how we feel, that will determine our agenda.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So I had the same question as CruisinGirl, however we will not be there on a Sunday - we arrive on Saturday July 4. If we were to rent a car - how difficult would it be for us to drive to both Aix and Cassis (and maybe do a boat tour of the Calanques)? We are in port from 8am - 7pm. Does anyone have any idea as to how much it would cost to rent a car? We are a family of four. Are there car rental companies at the port, or would we have to take the shuttle/cab to the city of Marseilles? Thanks in advance!

...how much it would cost to rent a car? We are a family of four.
It sounds tight. Doable but mighty snug in terms of timing. I can't speak to the location question, but highly recommend procuring a rental car ahead of time through your AAA affiliate. They are able to get good rates w Hertz. Much easier than wading through street maps online, trying to locate the pickup lot. And do get a GPS while you're at it. Roads are marked, yes, but signs swivel over the years, and besides you WILL BE in a hurry. Good luck, and enjoy.

It sounds tight. Doable but mighty snug in terms of timing. I can't speak to the location question, but highly recommend procuring a rental car ahead of time through your AAA affiliate. They are able to get good rates w Hertz. Much easier than wading through street maps online, trying to locate the pickup lot. And do get a GPS while you're at it. Roads are marked, yes, but signs swivel over the years, and besides you WILL BE in a hurry. Good luck, and enjoy.

Thanks for the thoughts. If we decide to rent a car, I will definitely procure one ahead of time. I had a feeling it might be too tight a schedule, and I really don't want to be rushing and worrying we will not make it back in time. I was torn between going to Aix and Cassis or Aix and Les Baux de Provence. I know the latter two are closer together, but I have two teens with me and thought the boat ride at the Calanques might be a nice distraction. Do you think it would be doable to do Aix and Les Baux in the time I have available and not be rushed? And is it a fairly easy drive? Parking difficult? I will make sure the car has GPS.

A few years ago we saw Aix, Les Baux and Arles all in one day on our cruise stop in Marseille. We hired a private guide/driver for the day. We did not feel rushed at all. It was a great day and one of our favorite stops.

A few years ago we saw Aix, Les Baux and Arles all in one day...

Whoa, remarkable. Back to mrszuhwiggins' question, though, on routing. I would think teens would be interested in Les Baux, especially if they've had a chance to examine some of its earlier history. Then to walk around those curious streets, some restored and some not. You might consider going there first and just hanging around the centuries-old, partly ruined neighborhoods; maybe going into the humble town church and asking questions about religious quirks there through the years, and their implications for that society. Afterward maybe parking around the perimeter of Old Aix and wandering down beneath the canopy of those magnificent plane trees, getting wine or whatever at a sidewalk table, and peoplewatching for an hour or so. Not to wax over-poetic about it, but it's vivid in my imagination these several years later. As for seeing other old towns in the area, I'd let them wait for your next visit, when there is time to do justice to them. I think of it as a choice between appreciating two glasses of wine, thoughtfully and emotionally, versus licking an array of stemware.

Whoa, remarkable. Back to mrszuhwiggins' question, though, on routing. I would think teens would be interested in Les Baux, especially if they've had a chance to examine some of its earlier history. Then to walk around those curious streets, some restored and some not. You might consider going there first and just hanging around the centuries-old, partly ruined neighborhoods; maybe going into the humble town church and asking questions about religious quirks there through the years, and their implications for that society. Afterward maybe parking around the perimeter of Old Aix and wandering down beneath the canopy of those magnificent plane trees, getting wine or whatever at a sidewalk table, and peoplewatching for an hour or so. Not to wax over-poetic about it, but it's vivid in my imagination these several years later. As for seeing other old towns in the area, I'd let them wait for your next visit, when there is time to do justice to them. I think of it as a choice between appreciating two glasses of wine, thoughtfully and emotionally, versus licking an array of stemware.

Well said. I got a good laugh at that last line. I think I will take your advice - reading your description I can picture my day vividly!!!

We have done a tour in Aix-en-Provence and Cassis with Provence Xplorer.

We were in Toulon Port, but they operate in all the Provence area.

They came and meet us at port and we had a wonderful day.

One of our best shore excursions.

I know they also do transfers for embarkation and disembarkation.

Our guide name was Fabrice and he really made our day. We were a group of 7 (shared tour).

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after all that, we decided that we will not rent a car. Only manual transmission available for anything reasonable, and while I drove manual when I was 18, I havent since then, and that's been quite a while.... We've decided we will do public transportation - that means either a bus to Aix or a train to Cassis. I am leaning towards Aix - seems a little simpler to get there. I am planning on taking the free shuttle and then walking to the bus depot. I checked the schedule and it looks like on Saturdays in July , it leaves every 10 minutes. So my question is this - how far of a walk is it from where the shuttle leaves you off to the bus depot and how do I figure out which way to walk? Are there signs - should I print out a map? Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...