NCL Spirit Grand Med Barcelona to Venice May 19-31, 2015 Review

Hey Carolyn, thank you so much for taking the time to post such an amazing review. I know they take time and many of us really appreciate your time. I don't know when we will ever take this itinerary (it's on my bucket list!) but after having read your review I feel like - WOW!

We have booked the Spirit next year when she comes back to the U.S. I have done some research - seems like the balconies are quite small (we have a BC cabin booked), the cabins are a little stark, the pool area looks very interesting and the aft of the ship also looks very interesting.

What is your overall thoughts on the feel of the Spirit? Would you go back on her again? Was there anything you really didn't like and, or on the other hand, what did you really like?

Again, thanks for taking the time, your review and pictures are amazing!

Jai

Yes, I would absolutely sail on the Spirit again. The decor is definitely Asian-themed but that just makes it unique. I loved the size of the ship, it being on the smaller side. I have no interest on sailing on one of the new mega ships with 6000 guests and 2500 staff. It lacks some of the bells and whistles (rock wall, bowling alley, ice rink, ropes course, etc) that the bigger, newer ships have, but that's just fine for a couples-only cruise as this was for us.

I didn't feel like the cabins were stark. Ours seemed quite similar to cabins on Carnival. The balconies are tiny but they have 2 chairs (that do not recline) and a tiny side table to place a drink or a book. Often we would just open the slider so we could hear and smell the sea and sit on the bed to read or relax. Sometimes we slept with the slider open too.

I liked Galaxy of the Stars and its forward location. You have a 180 degree view of the sea in there. Champagne Charlie's quickly became our favorite bar on the ship. Live music was offered there daily. The ship is easy to navigate, unlike some ships where you have to go up 2 decks, walk to the aft stairs, go down 4 decks, and walk to the middle of the ship, just to get to the dining room (many Carnival ships are like that). I also loved having several specialty restaurants to choose from each night.

As for what I wish was different...I wish the ship had an adults-only Serenity Deck or at least a quiet area, away from live or canned music, for adults to sun or read. Most outdoor areas were very noisy. The theater could definitely be bigger - seating could get tight. I'd love to see comedians on the ship, we really missed that. Oh, and I wish it had self-serve laundries like Carnival, but they did offer laundry specials twice during the cruise.

To be honest, our itinerary was so port intensive that we didn't explore/use the ship as much as we would have if it had been a Caribbean cruise.

Thanks for your reply loving my life, I am glad that the shows are as good as they were on the previous ncl cruises I've been on, it will be good to meet people from different countries on the cruise, Aldo it is useful that maps are available although we do have the rick steves book which is very good. Do NCL usually tender in mykonos or does it depend on the cruise pier being available? I have seen on previous reviews that norwegian spirit has docked in the new port and free shuttles were provided to the town. Also what was the general condition of the ship like as I am aware it is an older vessel? Thanks for your help

I think it all depends on how many ships are in port the day you are there. The docks were full and at least one other ship was anchored off shore and used tenders.

The ship is older but in good condition. On this cruise, more than any of our previous cruises, crew were always visible cleaning, scraping, painting, and replacing. There was nothing that was noticeably run-down, rusty, or dirty.

Yes, I would absolutely sail on the Spirit again. The decor is definitely Asian-themed but that just makes it unique. I loved the size of the ship, it being on the smaller side. I have no interest on sailing on one of the new mega ships with 6000 guests and 2500 staff. It lacks some of the bells and whistles (rock wall, bowling alley, ice rink, ropes course, etc) that the bigger, newer ships have, but that's just fine for a couples-only cruise as this was for us.

I didn't feel like the cabins were stark. Ours seemed quite similar to cabins on Carnival. The balconies are tiny but they have 2 chairs (that do not recline) and a tiny side table to place a drink or a book. Often we would just open the slider so we could hear and smell the sea and sit on the bed to read or relax. Sometimes we slept with the slider open too.

I liked Galaxy of the Stars and its forward location. You have a 180 degree view of the sea in there. Champagne Charlie's quickly became our favorite bar on the ship. Live music was offered there daily. The ship is easy to navigate, unlike some ships where you have to go up 2 decks, walk to the aft stairs, go down 4 decks, and walk to the middle of the ship, just to get to the dining room (many Carnival ships are like that). I also loved having several specialty restaurants to choose from each night.

As for what I wish was different...I wish the ship had an adults-only Serenity Deck or at least a quiet area, away from live or canned music, for adults to sun or read. Most outdoor areas were very noisy. The theater could definitely be bigger - seating could get tight. I'd love to see comedians on the ship, we really missed that. Oh, and I wish it had self-serve laundries like Carnival, but they did offer laundry specials twice during the cruise.

To be honest, our itinerary was so port intensive that we didn't explore/use the ship as much as we would have if it had been a Caribbean cruise.

Thank you so much for your thoughts! I am a little worried about some areas of the Spirit. I love the Sun which is a much smaller ship but the cabins and balonies on the Sun - I think are bigger. We love to spend time on the balcony (only having done Caribbean) so worry it will be very small on the Spirit. Having said all that, she looks very beautiful!

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to post your review. It was amazing!

I would like to know how you booked your train to Milan. Looks like airfare is cheaper from Milan than Venice and might be a good option for us.

I booked the train on the Italiarail website. There are 2 train stations for Venice. If you are staying in Venice proper, the S. Lucia train station is the one you want. It is located about 5 minutes from Piazelle Roma. You want to take it for 2.5 hours to Milan Centrale. The train was very comfortable and the time went really fast. The cost was about 30 euros per person. When you exit the train station in Milan, there are shuttle buses that will take you to the airport for 5 euros each. Very, very easy to do.

Carolyn,

Your review was wonderful!! I loved reliving our trip through you! You guys saw such cool things that I would love to see when we go back!

I'm so glad our M&G group was so wonderful - seeing friendly faces everywhere made the trip that much more enjoyable!

Nick and I would love to come for a visit and meet the boys! Too bad Nancy and Pete live so far away and can't join us :(

Dawn

Carolyn,

Your review was wonderful!! I loved reliving our trip through you! You guys saw such cool things that I would love to see when we go back!

I'm so glad our M&G group was so wonderful - seeing friendly faces everywhere made the trip that much more enjoyable!

Nick and I would love to come for a visit and meet the boys! Too bad Nancy and Pete live so far away and can't join us :(

Dawn

Hi Dawn. :)

I agree! We definitely had a great roll call group - the best we've ever sailed with - which made the trip even better! I'll be in touch soon. Loved your video of the trip!

By 11pm, we were feeling tired so we hopped on the vaporetto at St. Mark’s Square for the ride back to Piazelle Roma. Once we got to P. Roma, however, we discovered that the People Mover was no longer running. This meant we had to walk about 4 miles, at midnight, in an area that were not familiar with, to get back to the ship. Keep this in mind when exploring Venice at night.

[/size]

Do you know when the People Movers ends for the day? Checking their website - don't see a notation when it stops................Thanks, I'll keep looking though :)

Edited by Tyskie

By 11pm, we were feeling tired so we hopped on the vaporetto at St. Mark’s Square for the ride back to Piazelle Roma. Once we got to P. Roma, however, we discovered that the People Mover was no longer running. This meant we had to walk about 4 miles, at midnight, in an area that were not familiar with, to get back to the ship. Keep this in mind when exploring Venice at night.

[/size]

Do you know when the People Movers ends for the day? Checking their website - don't see a notation when it stops................Thanks, I'll keep looking though :)

I'm not sure exactly, but fellow cruisers said it was closed at 8:30pm when they got there, so sometime before that. Definitely too early though. Venice is amazing at night!

It was definitely off when Pete and I returned from our tour with Alessandro at 8:30 pm. It was a VERY long walk around! That is one suggestion I would have is to let people know this because Carolyn noted several people walking with canes trying to get back. It was very hard for them navigating the hill and bridges and up and down curbs.

Thank you for your review. I love The Spirit. Do you know who the Senior Officers were both on the Hotel side and the Bridge? Thank you

Vanja Litovic, Captain

Armando Da Silva, Hotel Director

Giovanni Artavia, Cruise Director

Ana Maria Haza, Guest Services Manager

Martin Cliff, Restaurant Manager

Bike shop Chandran, Executive Chef

Jun Valdez, Bar Manager

It was definitely off when Pete and I returned from our tour with Alessandro at 8:30 pm. It was a VERY long walk around! That is one suggestion I would have is to let people know this because Carolyn noted several people walking with canes trying to get back. It was very hard for them navigating the hill and bridges and up and down curbs.

What would the alternative be to walking back other than ending the evening early? Is there some other way back?

Vanja Litovic, Captain

Armando Da Silva, Hotel Director

Giovanni Artavia, Cruise Director

Ana Maria Haza, Guest Services Manager

Martin Cliff, Restaurant Manager

Bike shop Chandran, Executive Chef

Jun Valdez, Bar Manager

Lol. Gotta love auto correct! :)

What would the alternative be to walking back other than ending the evening early? Is there some other way back?

I *think* there was another option offered through NCL but I don't know the details. Nick and Dawn used this option so hopefully they see this and jump in to share their experience.

Edited by Loving My Life

I *think* there was another option offered through NCL but I don't know the details. Nick and Dawn used this option so hopefully they see this and jump in to share their experience.

NCL offered a water shuttle between the ship and St. Marks square. The cost was $25 US per person. We caught the last shuttle out of St. Mark's square at 10:30PM. It appears the cost was worth it considering the aggrivation involved in having to find your way back, in the dark, in a place you are not familiar with.

Nick

Thanks for that, I'm picky too about my shampoo/conditioner but some cruise lines have very nice products, so thought I would ask.

Quess my travel size bottles will be coming along. One less pair of shoes to make up the weight.

Just a quick note: if you are in a suite - Penthouse or above, you will have Elemis shampoo, conditioner, body wash and lotion.

Hi Carolyn,

Thanks so much, Carolyn, for posting all the great photos and explanations of the various activities and food. The transportation, the tours - All Great!!

So, now I have my suitcase out, ready to go, but realize ours is 10 more months. Oh well, more time to plan, right?

Anyway, whenever you get a chance to let me know about some of the tour operators and details, we'll appreciate it. I did reserve our Naples tour guide, as she seems to be among one of the best in Europe - We are working with her on details, like if we're doing lunch in Positano or just going there for photo op, not a sit-down 25 euro pp lunch, then seeing Sorrento too on the way to either Pompeii of Herculaneum. Some in our cc group are wanting to hike up Mt. Vesuvius or go other places, but we should be able to pull together a group of 6 for Amalfi coast and visiting the ruins. Ada has all excellent reviews, with some really over the top, so 1 scheduled & 8 or 9 to go. After reading about your ventures from Toulon, we might just decide to go on a tour their too. We might go to see Flamenco dancing dinner show in Barcelona, as it looks fun. Our plan for Mykonos is about like yours, as we did DIY walking tour before there, but maybe we'll get lost on different streets this time. One of the really good tips you gave us was to get tickets for the water taxi and go to the other islands one day there.

When you were in Livorno, did you happen to note whether or not NCL arranged a shuttle to the train station from the port?

My wife and I took the train from Livorno to Pisa and Lucca. There were no shuttles that would take us back to the Spirit. There was a NCL shuttle that took us back to the Epic! We had to scamble and rent a taxi in order to get back to our ship since they wouldn't let us walk in the industrial area. 20 Euro later we were back enjoying the Spirit.

My wife and I took the train from Livorno to Pisa and Lucca. There were no shuttles that would take us back to the Spirit. There was a NCL shuttle that took us back to the Epic! We had to scamble and rent a taxi in order to get back to our ship since they wouldn't let us walk in the industrial area. 20 Euro later we were back enjoying the Spirit.

So a taxi cost you 20 euros? We can split that with the couple travelling with us so I can live with 10 euros. I heard the shuttle is 12.5 US each (round trip) Did the taxi take alot of negotiating or was it just a set price all the taxis seemed to have.

And finally, were there alot of taxis at the train station? I would thing there would be. Every time I took a train somewhere in Italy a couple of years ago there was always a pile of taxis at the train station.

Thank you.

I booked the train on the Italiarail website. There are 2 train stations for Venice. If you are staying in Venice proper, the S. Lucia train station is the one you want. It is located about 5 minutes from Piazelle Roma. You want to take it for 2.5 hours to Milan Centrale. The train was very comfortable and the time went really fast. The cost was about 30 euros per person. When you exit the train station in Milan, there are shuttle buses that will take you to the airport for 5 euros each. Very, very easy to do.

Good info...thanks!