Torn between NCL or Carnival...

Angela61280

I'm back and forth and back again...

We are a small family of 3, myself DH and ds (4 y/o). Years ago DH and I sailed on the Pearl for our honeymoon. I don't really recall all too much, other than it's a beautiful ship, it was cold and rainy, we still had a good time, there were a bunch of restaurants... And the fish on the carpet, which I still talk about every time we set sail and I get lost! ;)

We have only sailed on Carnival since having ds, in 2011. The he loves the kids club and we have had, mostly, good experiences. But recently we are thinking of expanding outside Carnival. I'm torn between going back on NCL, this time with a child in two, or doing a Carnival Journey. If we went on NCL (which I'm leaning to...) we would most likely do a B2B sailing.

I need help! I really love the newer ships (Getaway/Epic) and the activities on board (the shows look AMAZING!!), many of the shows on Carnival we've already seen. But price-wise, we couldn't do a B2B on one of the pricier ships. I'm curious about some of the older ships (like Spirit or others y'all may recommend) and what you thought of them.

I'm also worried about the kids club. And ds hating it. He loves Camp on carnival, but has some sensory issues, and needs time to chill out just playing with toys alone. Carnival has been awesome about giving him space, if he can't handle the activity. What types of activities (other than the circus, which ds probably won't get on stage for) does camp offer? Camp carnival has a bunch of imaginenext toys that he just plays with and then will participate in hands on activities like bubbles/coloring. Etc.

We really enjoy splash parks as a family on board, as well as movies under the stars and other family friendly activities... When we can drag ds out of camp.

DH and I would also love to have a date night on board. I know there are tons of speciality restaurants. Are there live bands still (carnival took those away pretty much). And my biggie.. Steel drums?! Does the kids club ever offer dinner to the kids while they're in camp, so DH and I can have a dinner date on board? We like to attend the adult activities on board, while ds is enjoying camp at night. Other than on the bigger ships, are there a variety of things for the adults to get into?

I'm also worried about getting bored on a b2b on a not-so-huge ship. If anyone has done a b2b on some of the older ships, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

My last question would be cabins. Does ncl have trundle beds or only uppers? If I were to just pull the mattress off the upper and put it on the floor, would there be enough room?

I wish I remembered more from the Pearl :( other than it was a really fun time, and we went cave tubing (and of course the directional fish :)

Ps.. Not trying to start an ncl vs carnival war.. We sailed carnival bc the kids club age bracket worked for us.. Now we are thinking of trying something new.. Help!

Take a look at Norwegian Dawn, it has a very nice kids' pool area in the aft, not crowded at all and even a nice place for parents to hang out. Norwegian Star (sister ship) has the same, and also slides in the main pool. Not sure what cabin category you are looking at but we had a mini-suite with pull out sofa only (no Pullman).

Edited by Mistizoom

Take a look at Norwegian Dawn, it has a very nice kids' pool area in the aft, not crowded at all and even a nice place for parents to hang out. Norwegian Star (sister ship) has the same, and also slides in the main pool. Not sure what cabin category you are looking at but we had a mini-suite with pull out sofa only (no Pullman).

I agree with these ships... My son was 3 and 4 when we were on both of them (about 3yrs ago). I loved the kids pool area. They had a small one for smaller kids with a small slide. Then 2 that are a little bigger and deeper with slides and then a regular pool in between the 2 with the slides. There is a nice sitting area and it was NEVER crowded when we were back there. He didn't do the kids club on these so I can't comment on them. Out of the 2 ships, I like the Star best. We stayed in one of the newer suites after it dry docked I believe on deck 12. Plus, the Dawn has had it's share of issues which we experienced one of them ourselves.

If you really are set on a b2b, take a look at the Spirit. It is one of NCLs' smaller and older ships (never been on it), and it sails out of Port Canaveral. It will be stateside Nov/15-Apr/16.

This might fit your wallet, and maybe some ports you would like to see. My kids are all grown so I can't answer about the kids club. But knowing NCL, they would try to make it fun for your little one.

As far as getting bored, that would be a tough one. Because it is a smaller ship, it won't have the number of activities that the Getaway will have.

Hope this helps! :)

In all honesty, you can't go wrong either way... Pick the best cruise(s) that give you the best itinerary for your family and enjoy. I'm partial to Norwegian these days mainly because of the perks that are offered when booking... (free UBP etc) but certainly you would have a good time on either line :)

The Spirit has a kids pool and hot tub right on the aft of the ship. It has a slide that looks like a pirate ship. It isn't a big fancy sort of slide. The pool there is quite shallow, I saw children standing in it so maybe 24-30 inches deep? The kids I saw playing there were having a really good time letting their imaginations run riot and just having fun. It made me smile just watching them while I was having lunch up on Deck 12 which overlooks this area. The club is right near this pool. I don't have kids so have no knowledge of that.

I have sailed on the Spirit several times and it is a smaller ship and can be much quiter than the mega vessells. The crew are super friendly and seem to really make a fuss of children, most probably because they miss their own.The shows are good and they have live music performers in 3 places each night and by the pool in the daytime. Usually a pianist/singer. Guitarist/singer and a band in Galaxy, Champagne Bar and Gatsbys pub.

I did read a review by someone a few days ago where they said their child who had autism was very well cared for in an NCL kids club. I am sure some others will be along soon to help with that and there is a board on here that is about family cruising and I think you will find a lot of info there about kids facilities on all the lines and all of their ships.

The ships with the kiddie pools (smaller ships that is) are the Dawn (with a dinosaur theme), Star-the sister ship of the Dawn (with a astronaut theme) and the Spirit-a class of its own and an Asian theme around the ship (the kids pool in the back is pirates). Most of the other older ships have a very small kiddie pool in an area off to the main pool and behind a glass to protect from the weather and sun.

Of course the bigger ships have the kiddie splash areas that are just amazing as well.

We absolutely loved the Spirit and is one of our favorite smaller ships. It's just so different from the rest of the fleet.

We have been on the Star (getting ready to go on the Dawn in a few days) and the Spirit, along with the bigger ships like Epic and Getaway as well. I have complete reviews in my signature line and they have tons of photos from the ships. If you are just trying to get a feel for what they're like, you could scroll down the pages just looking at the pictures.

I think NCL has one of the best kids club and our daughter has been cruising with us since age 3 (she's just turned 7 and has been on 10 cruises now). Their programs and counselors are amazing and they all have degrees relating to children. :)

The Dawn's Dino pool area and slides

nclcruise240_zpsca880c73.jpg

nclcruise239_zps9c44c4c3.jpg

nclcruise237_zps4ad10c76.jpg

nclcruise236_zps32b6b8b4.jpg

nclcruise235_zpsd9752c32.jpg

The kids area hot tub, one of the hotter hot tubs on the ship

The green and Red Dino slide were quite quick even for being short. :cool: