Tipping european tour guides

HLN500

Tipping is commonplace in the UK and Europe.

Leaving a tip is expected in restaurants and on tours (private or Celebrity). There will usually be 'tips' container by the driver and the tour guide will thank you profusely and shake your hand as you disembark, the point at which he will be hoping for his personal thank you.

As with any tip you leave it will depend on your appreciation of the tour and level of personal service. The higher the number of people on the tour generally the less each individual will leave.

Some people will always leave the coach/minibus without tipping, but we have seen that in the Caribbean too.

We have travelled world wide and the only place we have seen less tipping is in Australia.

Chemmo posted exactly what I was going to outline. On our most recent trip which included stops in Turkey, Greece and Italy, all the Celebrity excursions had the tour guide stand outside the bus where many offered her/him tips. Some even tipped a euro of lira or two to the bus drivers. Also on our private tour to Capri we tipped additional to our guide as she was above and beyond what we've had in the past. But we also have not tipped additionally in the past if we felt it was a mediocre guide but on this past trip all were excellent. Naturally, you'll have those who won't agree on this approach and to each his own.

Since Europeans and people from the U.K. are not tippers, what do Americans do regarding this on private excursions?

Went through all of this before our recent land and cruise vacation in Paris, Barcelona and Italy. There is a lot of different ideas and opinions. Check out Trip Advisor ... there are several threads pro and con and in between!

Went through all of this before our recent land and cruise vacation in Paris, Barcelona and Italy. There is a lot of different ideas and opinions. Check out Trip Advisor ... there are several threads pro and con and in between!

I think that Europeans tip less widely and less generously, and generally wages for people in the relevant industries reflect that.

For example, in ordinary pubs, most people would not tip the barman when ordering a couple of pints of beer. In a restaurant, perhaps 10% would be typical. But certainly we'd expect to tip tour guides something.

Stuart

I think that Europeans tip less widely and less generously, and generally wages for people in the relevant industries reflect that.

For example, in ordinary pubs, most people would not tip the barman when ordering a couple of pints of beer. In a restaurant, perhaps 10% would be typical. But certainly we'd expect to tip tour guides something.

Stuart

Yes, and as I mentioned on the threads at Trip Advisor, some Europeans especially, are very adamant about it. Some say they are insulted, others say they more want you to enjoy their Country and services. We were advised to 'round up' on most cases ... cabs, bars and restaurants. Their wages are higher than here. We 'played it by ear' for the most part. On our private tours in Rome and of the Amalfi Coast, we invited the drivers to lunch with us expecting to pay for their lunch, but both declined because of parking the car, etc. I did write them both a thank you note from the backseat and we did tip them as well because they were wonderful! I also had found a great bargain at the Vatican ... I try to get Christmas Ornaments from everywhere we travel. We have a 'travel' tree specially for that and also bring them as gifts to people at home. In Rome our driver said he didn't think we'd find any, but in the Vatican Gift Shop we got a whole beautiful box of them ... all different paintings from the museum. I also gave him one and he was very pleased.

Lived in Germany for four years and discovered a different tipping custom. The custom vaires all over the World. Some places like Australia, you don't tip at all.

Back to the question, tipping tour guides in Europe. We have found that most tour guides seem to expect a tip, especially in Southern Europe.

Even in the UK and northern Europe some tip seems reasonable.

Prior to going to Copenhagen prior to our cruise that included Norway, Iceland, UK and Ireland, I had read here on cc that you don't tip in Denmark. We had a great tour one day and I didn't tip the excellent guide and he seemed suprised. I made inquires with some Danish people later and they indicated that tipping a tour guide would be appropriate.

Therefore, I contacted the tour company and indicated that I wanted to send the guide a tip. They said not to worry, just mention him on TripAdvisor, so I posed review of our tour and mentioned how great the guide was by name. I hoped that made up for not tipping.

Also, we found that tipping a tour guide in Norway is normal.

Our rule of thumb, based on our experience and seeing what others do is to tip the tour guides $5 per person for half-day tours and $10 per person for full day tours. We also give the drivers $3 for half-days and $4 or $5 for full day tours. My feeling is that these people work hard to ensure that we have an entertaining and educational experience and we should show our appreciation. We did a marvelous food tour in Rome last year and were the only Americans among a group of Australians. We tipped and the folks from "down under" did not. I felt badly for the guide who was wonderful.

In Germany tipping is less than in the USA. People get paid (in restaurants, too), get higher wages and tipping is just round up. 10 % is very generous. But as you can imagine, people will always welcome a tip and the higher the tip the more they will love it.....

But they do know, that they will get more from Americans..... :-)

Almost all European countries work on a 10%(ish) tipping amount although this varies with tour guides. Tipping per drink in a bar/pub isn't normal in general. For tours I have often given 5% in Europe.

In Europe its not about the tips 'rounding up' a wage its a gesture of good service and if the service is bad then people do not tip at all. Wages are not higher because of low tips. Wages are high because thats the right thing to do for your staff and smaller tips reflect that.

I have always tipped guides when oh holidays, apart from a rude Portuguese lady guide who shouted at a mother/child to be quiet and other bursts of anger...she did not get a tip from most people on the tour.

Edited by Velvetwater

While in Rome for a week prior to our cruise, we did a whole day (13 hour) tour into Umbria, visiting the towns of Cortona and Montepulciano.

The tour guide seemed upset from the very start, since the minibus was only half full. Everyone on the tour felt he was going through the motions. The towns and vistas were awesome, but the total experience was not good because of his attitude.

At the end of the tour, we were not surprised that not one person gave him a tip. The online reviews afterwards reflected dissatisfaction, not surprisingly.

Thanks to all who responded.

We've traveled the world and have tipped but I sometimes felt we were overgenerous especially when i see fellow pax from Europe line up at guest relations to delete the auto tips.

But that's an entirely different topic.

Thanks to all who responded.

We've traveled the world and have tipped but I sometimes felt we were overgenerous especially when i see fellow pax from Europe line up at guest relations to delete the auto tips.

But that's an entirely different topic.

I have heard about that, too. This is just impossible! I always get angry, when I read about this.....

Velvetwater, very well explained! Thank you.

Edited by black forest