Final Payment Yesterday.. Price Drop Today!!

Weeziblu

Congratulations! Nice for you:)

I check every day, sometimes twice a day, and will do so way past final payment. I have already once gotten a price reduction, and an on board credit. I was leery of ES always, but now I have gained some faith in it's merits.:)

I'm a little confused on what I am actually supposed to be looking for with a price drop.

We booked ES. Am I supposed to be looking for the price of the actual room to go down? We are cruising Elation on August 31st. We have room E89.

Do I just do a mock booking with the same deck/room/etc that we have now?

This is our first cruise which is why I am confused. It seems the more I read about price drops the more confused I get. Help!!!!

I'm a little confused on what I am actually supposed to be looking for with a price drop.

We booked ES. Am I supposed to be looking for the price of the actual room to go down? We are cruising Elation on August 31st. We have room E89.

Do I just do a mock booking with the same deck/room/etc that we have now?

This is our first cruise which is why I am confused. It seems the more I read about price drops the more confused I get. Help!!!!

You want to compare the room category. 1As to 1As, 4Ds to 4Ds and so on.

How do I figure out what category room E89 is in?

E89 is an 4E

I found this by looking at the deck plans on Carnival's sight and clicking on your room number.

Happy sailing (fingers crossed for a lower rate... for OBC :) )

Edited by ncovert

How do I figure out what category room E89 is in?

as noted, you are looking for rooms of comparable category. also, you may want to look at rooms of a HIGHER category...

if for instance, you booked E89 and it's a 4E for 300pp, and an 6a oceanview is 300pp, you could move to it. if the oceanview were 250PP you could move to it, AND get a 50pp OBC.

you figure out your room category from booking documents, or by looking at the deck plans and identifying the category. FWIW, E89 is a 4E.

Can you only get a price drop credit if you booked Early Saver. We booked a quad under the More the Merrier promotion. The exact same room category is now $170 cheaper. Carnival is saying I can't get any OBC, but I don't understand why I can't. Any ideas??

Can you only get a price drop credit if you booked Early Saver. We booked a quad under the More the Merrier promotion. The exact same room category is now $170 cheaper. Carnival is saying I can't get any OBC, but I don't understand why I can't. Any ideas??

you can get a price reduction, before final payment DATE (regardless of when you make the 'final payment' / pay off the balance). after that, no, other rates do not offer OBC. you may, however, be able to move to a higher category cabin that costs less than what you've paid but ymmv on that anymore.

early saver is the only rate that offers OBC after final payment DATE, and that is in part because it is a more restrictive fare in terms of name changes, re-scheduling or cancellation.

Carnival uses a number of different names for sales and promotions. Early Saver is one that's always there (until the cut off date, is it 3 months out?). It is, AFAIK, the only one that offers price protection all the way up to within 2 days of sail date. It is also the only one with a penalty for cancelation before final payment. Are you past final payment day? If not, just cancel and re-book at the lower rate.

If you are past final, unless you see "price protection" in the description of your rate, you are out of luck. Never hurts to call and ask for your options, but, "The outlook is doubtful", to quote my Magic 8-Ball.

To the other poster who asked how to check the prices, there is an easier way besides doing a trial booking. Save this link to the Fare Finder. Follow the instructions. You'll need to know your ship and sail date and cabin catagory: inside, oceanview, balcony, etc. Check the boxes for 55+, state and so on as necessary. Enter the scrambled code to verify you're a person, not a bot. Click continue.

Next you need to select the rate plan you want to check. Early Saver is usually the lowest-priced, but if other rates are close and you don't have the cheapest cabin, sometimes a free-upgrade promotional rate may be less. Try more than one if any are close to your current price, but you need to do one at a time. Click continue.

Now, you see a table with each different class in your catagory. Find your class on the list. Your class is on your invoice that you should have gotten in your email. If not, ask for one. Is the price for your class less than the price you paid? I think the prices are shown without taxes and fees. Look on your invoice for your current price.

It doesn't sound like it's easier or faster than a trial booking, but I think it is. It's easier done, than said.

http://www.carnival.com/BookingEngine/FareViewer/#

I guess I should complete the process by tell you that, if you find a lower price, you are supposed to fill out the Price Protection form and submit it to Carnival.

About half the time it is denied even if you are right. Be prepared to call the number on the rejection email to have them check it. I was denied twice and got the price drop both times after calling.

Here's the link.

http://www.carnival.com/request-forms/price-protection-claim.aspx

Edited by Hawaiifrank

If you booked with a PVP you can call them if you find what you think is a price drop.

Anyway, that is what I have done in the past.

Usually the cruises I book don't go down in price.

But a couple of times I got obc or an upgrade.

Edited by mzloolue

Carnival uses a number of different names for sales and promotions. Early Saver is one that's always there (until the cut off date, is it 3 months out?). It is, AFAIK, the only one that offers price protection all the way up to within 2 days of sail date. It is also the only one with a penalty for cancelation before final payment. Are you past final payment day? If not, just cancel and re-book at the lower rate.

If you are past final, unless you see "price protection" in the description of your rate, you are out of luck. Never hurts to call and ask for your options, but, "The outlook is doubtful", to quote my Magic 8-Ball.

To the other poster who asked how to check the prices, there is an easier way besides doing a trial booking. Save this link to the Fare Finder. Follow the instructions. You'll need to know your ship and sail date and cabin catagory: inside, oceanview, balcony, etc. Check the boxes for 55+, state and so on as necessary. Enter the scrambled code to verify you're a person, not a bot. Click continue.

Next you need to select the rate plan you want to check. Early Saver is usually the lowest-priced, but if other rates are close and you don't have the cheapest cabin, sometimes a free-upgrade promotional rate may be less. Try more than one if any are close to your current price, but you need to do one at a time. Click continue.

Now, you see a table with each different class in your catagory. Find your class on the list. Your class is on your invoice that you should have gotten in your email. If not, ask for one. Is the price for your class less than the price you paid? I think the prices are shown without taxes and fees. Look on your invoice for your current price.

It doesn't sound like it's easier or faster than a trial booking, but I think it is. It's easier done, than said.

http://www.carnival.com/BookingEngine/FareViewer/#

THANK YOU for the fare finder info. I had no idea and was doing a mock booking a couple of times a day to keep watch. This is MUCH easier and only takes a minute or two. Love it!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

No price drop here yet but I'm hopeful we will get something...Hahah