Falmouth, Jamaica

Here's a pretty cool map of town that I studied a bit before we left. I wished that it would read better when zoomed in, but I just filled in some of the details from google maps in pen. The churches and Water square are pretty clearly marked though.

http://5663061.sites.myregisteredsite.com/images/map-large.jpg

We just returned, and did the Hilton Rose Hall resort. We booked through resortforaday.com, and they provided transportation in a reliable bus to / from the resort. We felt very safe! The area inside the gated port was very safe, IMO, and when I asked about the tents set up outside the port gates & shopping there, I was told in a resounding chorus, "NO!"

Thanks CCC3 fir the recommendation. I booked resortforaday.com last year for a day at a resort. We were on an Eastern Caribbean cruise with Carnival. We didn't go to the Port, where I had booked the resort. I didn't follow through to get a refund ( on resortforaday) and they never contacted me. My fault .

I'll look into the site again .... Lighting can't hit twice, right?

Bobbi

Maybe, but that is the fun of travel, one never knows until after you visit what to watch out for LOL

Falmouth is not my favorite port, but we ALWAY have gone out the gates tand have a reasonably good time drinking a beer or two setting on a bench talking to locals. YES you will be approached, for what ever, drugs, even your empty beer bottle, this is another cultural experience.

We did the walking tour on our first visit, not great, but worth the time to acquaint your with Falmouth.

I have heard from locals cruise ship terminal has not helped much with the local economy, the so called pushy vendors outside the gates, really appreciate you buying something.

I am looking at this excursion Falmouth Heritage Walking Tour.

My question is, is it worth the money or can we see the sites on our own. First time to Falmouth and first time on RCL.

Thank you

We booked http://jamaicaculinarytours.com/tours/view/falmouth_food_tour_868291713#.VXW0M45VhHw and really enjoyed it. Never felt unsafe. The tour guide "protected" us from the kids trying to sell us things:D! Same site you're looking on.

I have done both of these tours and enjoyed them both.

I would never counsel anyone to ignore his or her own "inner voice" but MY inner voice says, "Go out and explore!"

So I do.

Obviously, I am alive and well enough to be posting this message! ;)

Has anyone done the Falmouth Tours by trolley.

and should we do the Falmouth Heritage Walking Tour

My wife and I did this tour in April 2015... at first we were not going to do anything, but a friend I have known for about 2 years is from Jamaica and encouraged me to do something there.

So we took the Heritage Walking Tour.... it was really nice and I am so glad that we did it. It was 2 hours and the pace was fairly slow. We saw many things that were really interesting and the guide had lots of information. There was a group of 10 I think, and my wife and I never felt threatened or worried about anything, as we would walk numerous locals would say hi, and quite a few knew our guide and would say hello to her or give her a hug. Towards the very end of the tour there was a guy that drove up and was saying something to our guide, apparently giving her a rough time about taking 'white people' around, because she mentioned not to pay attention to that and we were on the way.

On the flip side of this, we were going to meet up with some friends when we got back to the port and walk back out and show them a couple of things...we ate and they decided to go outside of the gates for a bit while they were waiting for us. They said they were quickly bombarded with people trying to sell them things including drugs.

My advise is take the tour you will likely have a good time, but I would be careful of going outside the gates without a tour just like anywhere you are not use to

Edited by Carguylee

We did the Jamaica Culinary Tour in Falmouth. It was excellent. Go to Tripadvisor and read the reviews. Most everyone rates it excellent.

Our first time in Falmouth we were discouraged from leaving the gated area. Those that did returned quickly.

The second time we took the Culinary Tour. It was fun walking the streets and eating in interesting places that we would not have go into on our own.

We will repeat the tour the next time we are in Jamaica.

Can't say anything about the walking tour but DH and I did take the trolley tour this April (2015). You book the tour INSIDE the gates but it goes on a nice little tour of the area outside the gates. Nothing to be afraid of. You WILL see poverty and there will be vendors outside the Church they stop at and let you walk around. It's a fun thing to do the first time in Falmouth.

I am looking at this excursion Falmouth Heritage Walking Tour.

My question is, is it worth the money or can we see the sites on our own. First time to Falmouth and first time on RCL.

Thank you

We did the Heritage Walking Tour and it was EXCELLENT! We had a great young guide (who was enthusiastic and knowledgeable).

I have info on Falmouth and the tour here - http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/8295b/19def7/. And you must go to Club Nazz & Restaurant for amazing jerk chicken!

BTW, after our tour we explored more on our own. We never felt unsafe - maybe we don't scare easily? :D

I suddenly remembered something that I wanted to share about this.

If you go on a walking tour, please take some individual candies. Like a BIG BAG.

We walked past a primary school and the children were at recess out on the playground.

I dug deep into the bottom of my purse, and came up with ...................ONE piece of hard candy!

If only I had had more! :eek:

My teen son and I (female) went alone (GASP!) to the center of the town to Pepper's and had some authentic jerk chicken. Then we shopped at some of the stalls on the way back to the ship. I had no problem there. Not one single problem. I've had more issues in the states than I had there.

I guess if you're not from a majority black area where the people are poor you would be frightened of Falmouth. They need to sell you things so they can EAT so of course they are going to try to get you to come look at their goods. Hell, I've been offered drugs in some of the "safe" ports as well as my home town. Just politely say no and go on about your business.

Edited by vital1

Ah yes the beautiful port of Falmouth, we also walked out the gates took this photo then went back in and spent some time in Margaritaville for a bit then right back on the ship...

16710973579_13a4de272c_b.jpg

If only it were that quiet and desolate the day we visited. There had to have been at least 50 folks right outside the gate all "enthusiastically" trying to sell to the tourists. There were police present, and they did a great job keeping the road clear.

To each their own, but I had a much nicer time turning it into "a sea day with most of the other passengers off the ship."