If I had only Known

DDBINK1

Ladies don't really need to bother much about the dress code. Even on formal nights the different interpretations of formal wear by the distaff side are quite surprising.

On multiple cruises I have never seen a lady refused entry to the MDRM but quite often have seen men turned away.

David.

It's not as strict as you imagine. I was on the QM2 Crossing last October in the Queens Grill. We got selected for an upgrade to the Queen Elizabeth Suite. There isn't anyone at the door checking labels as you enter, nor did I see anyone doing that when entering any of the ballrooms. You do see women wearing full out designer ball gowns or formal wear. The majority wear something I'd call dressy mother of the bride, or smart separates. Shoes. They'd have had ample reason to deny me entry based on footwear, but didn't. DRS/NC, you and I must be sisters; I am a 60+ solo traveler, mobility impaired (travel with a Luggie scooter), and also have to be picky about footwear for medical reasons. I completely understand. I, too, travel with what I call the Joan Rivers dressing system; black pants, black top, different colors and types of tops or jackets, and a multitude of accessories. It's served me well. For the formal nights, I had one long sleeved black sheath dress I wore with different jackets and accessories. I could have done the exact thing with silk pants or skirt and top. If I didn't get kicked out of the Queens Grill for inappropriate attire, you won't.

I've taken 30+ cruises, but never w/Cunard. I would like to sail with one of the grand ladies, but am uncomfortable with the dress code -- especially in the evening.

I'm am a solo senior (65+) with mobility issues. My formal attire is black silk pants & fancy blouses or sweaters. For health reasons, I cannot wear "dressy" shoes (i.e., heels). I have heard/read that dressy shoes for women are a part of the "code".

Is the dress code that strict?

Perhaps it used to be, but it is not enforced to the strictest guidelines anymore, you will be fine with what you have mentioned wearing.

Edited by MicCanberra