If I had only Known

DDBINK1

I was reading an article on some travel site recently giving suggestions on how to cruise and I had a thought that the people that contribute to this site could probably do better.

It also reminded me of my first Cunard Voyage on QM2 in the Inaugural Caribbean trip. I actually knew nothing about Cunard except for some basic brochure information. I knew the name of the ship and that it had a planetarium. I also knew to bring a tux. (thank god).

So I was thinking, as a help to future novice travelers on Cunard,

what would you have liked to know prior to your first Voyage on a Cunard Vessel?

That it's a good idea to check your table in the DR and ask to be changed if you don't like the position and or the number at the table.

And that room service is the best bargain (like free) on the ship. And that a dollar to the server makes it even better.

David.

While it is always a good idea to get the culture of the line understood and a basic idea of the ship's layout and what is and is not available before embarking, do not preplan the entire trip with massive amounts of menus readings, wine and drink list prices, activities etc. The best vacation is one where you simply let it unfold in front of you. Let everyday contain a new surprise to discover. No need to memorize the appearance of every part of the ship before setting forth etc.

Cunard in its totality is a rich experience enjoy it all.

That Cunard is not the "above all" if you have been used to sailing on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. I was really apprehensive before our first "Cunard"....but now I know better.

On the other hand....Celebrity and RCI, in the past few years, have gotten a lot more casual when it comes to dress.....so today....it is wise to know that Cunard does expect more from their passengers....and so do the other passengers. Evening dining means dressing properly..which is why we keep coming back to Cunard. :)

While it is always a good idea to get the culture of the line understood and a basic idea of the ship's layout and what is and is not available before embarking, do not preplan the entire trip with massive amounts of menus readings, wine and drink list prices, activities etc. The best vacation is one where you simply let it unfold in front of you. Let everyday contain a new surprise to discover. No need to memorize the appearance of every part of the ship before setting forth etc.

Cunard in its totality is a rich experience enjoy it all.

One of the best posts I have ever read.

I was thinking about my own question and one of the biggest things I wish I had known was that the History of Cunard is rich in many ways and I mean that in the best traditions of sea travel.

It reminds me of a more Victorian Era of dressing for dinner and presenting your best to strangers etc.

On a more practical issue, I wish I had been told the difference between a Liner and a Cruiser. I learned it on board the first day on QM2. I was corrected in the elevator by an officer. I mentioned that the cruise was going well and I had not even felt a wave or bump yet. And I got a short lecture on the difference between the QM2 and a cruise ship (in a very nice way).

Which is another thing, I wish I had known what the strips on the sleeves of the officers meant prior to boarding. Would have lead me to say thank you to the Captain in that elevator.

The thing I wish I had known was that cruising was so addictive. My once in a lifetime never to be repeated voyage in 1991 has turned into 30+ and I don't want to think how much it has cost me. :D

I thought my first crossing would be once in a lifetime, too. But happily, it didn't turn out that way. And like you, I don't want to think about what it cost.

When we look at our "free" Todd English lunch and internet minutes and whatever else we get for diamond/platinum level, it isn't really free. We've paid for it in advance over the years. But that's okay, I think of it as money well spent.

The thing I wish I had known was that cruising was so addictive. My once in a lifetime never to be repeated voyage in 1991 has turned into 30+ and I don't want to think how much it has cost me. :D

How true, our addiction begain earlier in l983... suspect as long as we can breath we will cruise.

What I found out after my first trip on QM2 that the ship is very casual during the day. I worried about what to wear, I was quite surprised that jeans were the norm for day wear.

I did take long gowns for formal evenings and loved dressing for the occasion.

My first cruise was nearly 6 years ago and I loved it. I continue to enjoy cruising and can't wait to try celebrity for the first time on Saturday.

Catherine

The itinerary makes the cruise not the ship or the cruise line.:D

I think you may have opened a can of worms.

I disagree with your statement, respectfully.

I had a cruise on Carnival on a great itinerary and the ship was awful, full of kids not just children but young adults getting sick they drank so much, and the service was that of a one star hotel. What a great pleasure it is to voyage on a Cunard ship with White Star Service and a better clientele.

I had a cruise on Carnival on a great itinerary and the ship was awful, full of kids not just children but young adults getting sick they drank so much, and the service was that of a one star hotel. What a great pleasure it is to voyage on a Cunard ship with White Star Service and a better clientele.

The itinerary is the last thing on my mind when booking a cruise. The QMII was the most awesome ship we've ever been on, just because it's the QMII. Our ports of call on the Fall Colors cruises were little logging towns out in the middle of nowhere but we didn't care. Just being on that majestic ship was the experience of a lifetime! But, I do think Americans need to realize that people dress up for dinner on Cunard and should follow suit (literally).

The itinerary is the last thing on my mind when booking a cruise. The QMII was the most awesome ship we've ever been on, just because it's the QMII. Our ports of call on the Fall Colors cruises were little logging towns out in the middle of nowhere but we didn't care. Just being on that majestic ship was the experience of a lifetime! But, I do think Americans need to realize that people dress up for dinner on Cunard and should follow suit (literally).

You reminded me of another thing I would have liked to know.

I wish I had brought better clothing for the day time when I went on my first voyage on Cunard. I felt under dressed in my daytimes on QM2. I had great suits and a tux with me for the nights but I generally am a slob at home during the day. Imagine a guy from Tennessee dressing in shorts and t shirts with logo's on them.

The other thing was that I didn't discover Tea Time till the second day and it was fantastic fun. I made friends with the Harpist and actually bought her a adult beverage one evening in the club. We were the only two in there after midnight one night. We had some great laughs that night. The bartender that night was telling jokes.

I think the first Voyage on Cunard is always the most magical/fun of any of the following trips.

I know what you mean. For years, we would say "Where shall we go next on QE2?"

The line matters a lot because they're all different. We're down to two lines that we like, and we have learned that some are not for us. A few years ago, we were in Macy's NYC to look at their flower show displays. As part of the show they had a drawing to win a free cruise. I picked up the paper, read the name of the line, and put the paper back in the tray. Even for free, I wouldn't travel with them.

I'm looking forward to this sailing. It's only my second cruise with Cunard; third in my lifetime. My mother, age 92, and I went on another Transatlantic last October. She got pneumonia the second day out, and we were confined to the cabin for the rest of the trip. We stayed in the remainder of the cruise, and I missed so much. This trip is for me to discover the QM2 and all her glories. I'm going all the way to Hamburg this time. I'll be visiting my daughter who lives in Oldenburg. I'm looking forward to just being, exploring, and getting to enjoy this marvelous time. I'll be alone, and it's ok.

I was prepared for the dress code the last time, so nothing different there.

I'm going on my first Cunard cruise next month, the QM2. I would like to know exactly what 'casual' dress at dinner is. Can I wear dress pants with the appropriate heels and nice top? I know what formal night is...and because I don't wear dresses, I hope it's okay to go eat in the King's Court (buffet) on those nights. What does one wear to eat in the buffet at dinner? I read that jeans are not appropriate after 6pm. Could I wear non-jean casual pants?

I'm really looking forward to seeing the ship and enjoying it.

Thanks for any help in solving these puzzles.....:D

Yes, I did, obviously there are many other things in play, price, standard, service, demographic, timing, duration, etc to name some.

However, if it is between the which Cunard ship or which itinerary, I would take the itinerary I liked best.

I'm going on my first Cunard cruise next month, the QM2. I would like to know exactly what 'casual' dress at dinner is. Can I wear dress pants with the appropriate heels and nice top? I know what formal night is...and because I don't wear dresses, I hope it's okay to go eat in the King's Court (buffet) on those nights. What does one wear to eat in the buffet at dinner? I read that jeans are not appropriate after 6pm. Could I wear non-jean casual pants?

I've haven't sailed with Cunard yet but I would imagine something like these, paired with an elegant evening top, would be perfectly acceptable on formal nights for dinner. http://www.amazon.com/Evening-Trousers-Palazzo-Stretch-MontyQ/dp/B00Q8XWQ28

You don't have to wear a dress for formal evenings. Cunard say:

Evenings will be split into 2 different dress codes. You will be notified of the evening's dress code in your Daily Programme. As a guide, these will be:

Formal

Evening wear consists of an evening or cocktail dress or smart trouser suit for ladies. A tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit with appropriate neck wear for men or you may wear formal national dress and army uniform. Further details on this facility can be found by clicking here.

Informal

Evenings would consist of a required jacket and optional tie optional for gentlemen, whilst ladies should wear cocktail dresses, stylish separates or equivalent.

Please note that after 6pm, shorts and blue or worn denim (for men and women); sandals and sleeveless tops (for men) are not considered appropriate within the ship. On formal nights, any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court or Lido buffet restaurant and relax in the Winter Garden or Garden Lounge bar, but should not use other areas within the ship, including our Alternative Dining Restaurants, out of respect for their fellow guests.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/life-on-board/dress_code

Thank you OzKiwiJJ and Ray66 for your answers. My cruise is only the 5-day one so I'll probably skip any formal nights...and just stick to the regular nights in the dining room. I don't want to look too out of place.

The palazzo pants certainly do look swish, but unfortunately I wouldn't look that great in them, LOL

It is good to know that dress pants are acceptable. :D

I've taken 30+ cruises, but never w/Cunard. I would like to sail with one of the grand ladies, but am uncomfortable with the dress code -- especially in the evening.

I'm am a solo senior (65+) with mobility issues. My formal attire is black silk pants & fancy blouses or sweaters. For health reasons, I cannot wear "dressy" shoes (i.e., heels). I have heard/read that dressy shoes for women are a part of the "code".

Is the dress code that strict?

Edited by DRS/NC
wording

I've taken 30+ cruises, but never w/Cunard. I would like to sail with one of the grand ladies, but am uncomfortable with the dress code -- especially in the evening.

I'm am a solo senior (65+) with mobility issues. My formal attire is black silk pants & fancy blouses or sweaters. For health reasons, I cannot wear "dressy" shoes (i.e., heels). I have heard/read that dressy shoes for women are a part of the "code".

No, it's not that strict at all. As Ray66 suggested, visit the Cunard site at https://ask.cunard.com/help/life-on-board/dress_code. There you'll see that "a smart trouser suit" will meet all the requirements for formal nights. As for shoes, you'll be fine (and in good company) without high heels

For health reasons, I cannot wear "dressy" shoes (i.e., heels). I have heard/read that dressy shoes for women are a part of the "code".

I don't wear heels on dry land, I certainly wouldn't wear them on a moving ship !

I've got some sparkly ballet type flats and some low wedge sandals, they are fine for formal nights.

Your planned outfits sound perfect acceptable to the dress code.