Does our "outbound" NCL contact get comp'd

ndabunka

As the title says, I am interested in learning if our "outbound" NCL contact get compensated even though we never used his services to book our reservation (as we did it online and then by calling in prior to finalizing & paying)?

The reason I am asking is because I might want him to "keep an eye out' for category changes and or availablity. I can do some of that myself but if he is making a dime on my (independent) booking then I might as well have him monitor and alert us to any changes, right? If he doesn't get a dime (due to us going direct), then I would not want to impose.

Edited by ndabunka

As the title says, I am interested in learning if our "outbound" NCL contact get compensated even though we never used his services to book our reservation (as we did it online and then by calling in prior to finalizing & paying)?

The reason I am asking is because I might want him to "keep an eye out' for category changes and or availablity. I can do some of that myself but if he is making a dime on my (independent) booking then I might as well have him monitor and alert us to any changes, right? If he doesn't get a dime (due to us going direct), then I would not want to impose.

Don't know the answer to first part of your question but do know that there are way more NCL passengers than there are PCC's (personal cruise consultants). It is very doubtful they would have either the time or inclination to monitor changes and let you know. It is very easy for you to monitor your own sailing or sailings. Some people pay a small fee and use the fishing site for cruises and many (like me) just go on NCL site and do a test booking. Was shocked a couple months ago to see a price drop for our October 2016 Breakaway cruise - called our assigned PCC and received the lower price with no problem. If your PCC is unavailable you can call the main NCL number.

Don't know the answer to first part of your question but do know that there are way more NCL passengers than there are PCC's (personal cruise consultants). It is very doubtful they would have either the time or inclination to monitor changes and let you know. It is very easy for you to monitor your own sailing or sailings. Some people pay a small fee and use the fishing site for cruises and many (like me) just go on NCL site and do a test booking. Was shocked a couple months ago to see a price drop for our October 2016 Breakaway cruise - called our assigned PCC and received the lower price with no problem. If your PCC is unavailable you can call the main NCL number.

Apparently, I wasn't clear enough. I ALREADY have the ablity and knoweldge of tracking changes using the sites and do so regularily so HOW to monitor isn't THE question.

The issue in this case is that we are already booked in a suite category SG on POA. That category does not include a murphy bed * but category SF does. Based on CF info (one of those tracking sites), I can "see" that a SF cabin opened up so wanted to see if our PC might have incentive to move us rather than us calling into the 'general' inbound call desk (where we could get a 1st day employee or one that knew the system simply based on randomness of a call center). If the PC who has our name on his distribution list get's commission even when we don't use him, he would likely be more than willing to track our (already paid for and thus $$$'s to him) reservation.

* only important should our 19 year old college student (not currently on reservation) be available to join the rest of the family (myself, wife & 12 year old who are already on the current reservation)

Edited by ndabunka

Your PCC gets credit for what HE Books . You booked your own . No credit for him .

I am not sure if they get compensated per se, but if you do get your own PCC, they will be happy to make changes for your existing reservations prior to you booking any through him/ her. I always deal with my res's through email to my PCC, and he makes changes very promptly, and is always happy to do so. I just recently had a change to make, to the last SF on Escape in Dec, and he made it so within 10 minutes.

I recently made the mistake of trying to "save my PCC some work" by calling the general res number at NCL to make a change, and they screwed up my res so bad he had twice the work to do had I just emailed him for the change. Lesson learned.

But as you said, tracking is more our job then theirs, and I have never depended upon them to track, only to change. Hope this helps!

My PCC seemed rather annoyed when I inquired about an upgrade on a booking that I made on NCL.com while he was on vacation because he missed out on the credit (I'm pretty sure it's not commission). He did upgrade me but wasn't his usual friendly self. Not like I hadn't booked through him before. Maybe the PCC would get something if you pay to upgrade but I don't know.

Your PCC gets credit for what HE Books . You booked your own . No credit for him .

Thank you for the concise direct response.

From a fellow biker who will be at sea.. eventually ;)

But he should get compensated if you add someone' date=' shouldn't he?[/quote']

I would expect so but the issue is that the particular suite classification is "coming and going" from the listings. If the category does show up again with a reduced price closer to what we paid for our SG (say within $300pp) then I might want to simply change over to it WITHOUT adding him 'just in case". The issue with the 19 year old is that he may (or may not) find a summer job.

I would expect him to get commission on the difference but also know that some businesses compensate sales agents based on their book of 'potential' clients and was simply wondering if NCL followed that type of policy or not. It sounds like they do not so I will watch myself and then call in should the prices and availability become favorable.

Edited by ndabunka

Because of lifeboat capacity etc you should always add the max number of people possibly going and remove them from the reservation later - you can always remove 3rd and up passengers a lot later than you'd be able to add them in some cases.

Because of lifeboat capacity etc you should always add the max number of people possibly going and remove them from the reservation later - you can always remove 3rd and up passengers a lot later than you'd be able to add them in some cases.

It appears that your advice may be based on a premise not applicable to our situation such as having booked (and make changes) well in advance which is not the case here.

We were told that we would not get any refund should we decide that we needed to REMOVE the 4th passenger in the future. Keep in mind that this was booked within 60 days of sailing so it was all "paid in full" when we booked it and the cancellation rules are pretty clear.

It appears that your advice may be based on a premise not applicable to our situation such as having booked (and make changes) well in advance which is not the case here.

We were told that we would not get any refund should we decide that we needed to REMOVE the 4th passenger in the future. Keep in mind that this was booked within 60 days of sailing so it was all "paid in full" when we booked it and the cancellation rules are pretty clear.

NCL's US cancellation policy states that you can cancel 3rd and up passengers free of charge no later than 21 days before the cruise on Hawaii itineraries (that's the divider between 75% and 100% cancellation fees for 1st and 2nd passengers, exact dates vary by different parameters).

http://www.ncl.com/about/cancellation-fee-schedule

As PoA cruises generally do sell very well, it is definitely not granted that you'd be able to add another passenger at or after 21 day mark even if your specific cabin still had empty beds.

NCL's US cancellation policy states that you can cancel 3rd and up passengers free of charge no later than 21 days before the cruise on Hawaii itineraries (that's the divider between 75% and 100% cancellation fees for 1st and 2nd passengers, exact dates vary by different parameters).

http://www.ncl.com/about/cancellation-fee-schedule

As PoA cruises generally do sell very well, it is definitely not granted that you'd be able to add another passenger at or after 21 day mark even if your specific cabin still had empty beds.

Thanks for the clarification. Apparently the inbound sales agent didn't know those details. We plan to make the decision on him here in the next week or two so we will not get into the 21 day issue. Perhaps I should simply add him tomorrow and then remove him prior to the 21 day deadline should he get a job that would prevent him from joining us.

Edited by ndabunka

Thanks for the clarification. Apparently the inbound sales agent didn't know those details. We plan to make the decision on him here in the next week or two so we will not get into the 21 day issue. Perhaps I should simply add him tomorrow and then remove him prior to the 21 day deadline should he get a job that would prevent him from joining us.

I would add him ASAP simply because of life boat capacity. I have seen numerous posts about people not being able to add to their cabin simply because the life boats were filled.

We book directly through our PCC. As we get closer to our cruise, our PCC will call us to confirm details and wish us a good trip. A few days before our last cruise, she called to tell us that there was a price drop (which I already knew about, but didn't care) and told us that she was going to try to get us some additional OBC. She called back a while later with the details of our additional OBC.

She also does a follow-up call after we return from our cruises to check in with us. I'm not certain if she is an exceptional PCC or if it is because we cruise in suites that she is so attentive.

I'm not certain if she is an exceptional PCC or if it is because we cruise in suites that she is so attentive.

Yes she is exceptional. We cruise about 50/50 in suites and also usually longer (many times more expensive) cruises and never had a PCC do anything like that for us.

I would add him ASAP simply because of life boat capacity. I have seen numerous posts about people not being able to add to their cabin simply because the life boats were filled.

We book directly through our PCC. As we get closer to our cruise, our PCC will call us to confirm details and wish us a good trip. A few days before our last cruise, she called to tell us that there was a price drop (which I already knew about, but didn't care) and told us that she was going to try to get us some additional OBC. She called back a while later with the details of our additional OBC.

She also does a follow-up call after we return from our cruises to check in with us. I'm not certain if she is an exceptional PCC or if it is because we cruise in suites that she is so attentive.

Spoke with the 19 year old and apparently he has ZERO interest in joining us for our cruise (has an adversity to hot environments) so no need to change anything in our case.

I think we ALL want the name and number of your PCC... unfortunately, we can't ask for it as that is against forum site rules. Sounds like you have a VERY good PCC!