Number of tokens or tickets for my cruise to Bermuda

JC168

Our family will be on the Breakaway June 14 Cruise to Bermuda. Since my plan is to utilize the ferry and bus a few times each day, therefore my calculation is that it might be cheaper to purchase tokens or book of tickets rather than the day passes. Our party consist of 3 adults and 1 children. Would appreciate if anyone can provide me approximate number of tokens or tickets required based on my itinerary so that I can purchase in advance once arrive in Dock Yard.

Day 1 - Ferry to Hamilton and then bus 8 to Horseshoe Bay. From Horseshoe Bay take bus 8 to Gibbs Light House. From Gibbs Light House take bus 8 back to Dock Yard. ( I am assuming that I will need 16 tickets or Tokens if I decide to stop at Gibbs Light House. However if I decide to skip Gibbs Lighthouse, I will only need 12 tokens.

Day 2 - Ferry to St George from Dock Yard and back to dock yard via ferry from St George. ( This should require total 8 tokens or tickets).

Just want to clarify if above is correct. In addition, I have some further questions.

1) Will the bus or ferry take US Quarters instead of tokens or tickets.

2) Does the ferry or bus takes either 1 ticket or 1 token for each trip since the books of tickets seems to offer the best deal.

3) Will I be able to get a refund on the unused tokens that I might have over bought.

4) Does St George sell book of ticket since I might go to St George on the first day.

Thanks in advance for any help on this question.

Our family will be on the Breakaway June 14 Cruise to Bermuda. Since my plan is to utilize the ferry and bus a few times each day, therefore my calculation is that it might be cheaper to purchase tokens or book of tickets rather than the day passes. Our party consist of 3 adults and 1 children. Would appreciate if anyone can provide me approximate number of tokens or tickets required based on my itinerary so that I can purchase in advance once arrive in Dock Yard.

Day 1 - Ferry to Hamilton and then bus 8 to Horseshoe Bay. From Horseshoe Bay take bus 8 to Gibbs Light House. From Gibbs Light House take bus 8 back to Dock Yard. ( I am assuming that I will need 16 tickets or Tokens if I decide to stop at Gibbs Light House. However if I decide to skip Gibbs Lighthouse, I will only need 12 tokens.

Day 2 - Ferry to St George from Dock Yard and back to dock yard via ferry from St George. ( This should require total 8 tokens or tickets).

Just want to clarify if above is correct. In addition, I have some further questions.

1) Will the bus or ferry take US Quarters instead of tokens or tickets.

2) Does the ferry or bus takes either 1 ticket or 1 token for each trip since the books of tickets seems to offer the best deal.

3) Will I be able to get a refund on the unused tokens that I might have over bought.

4) Does St George sell book of ticket since I might go to St George on the first day.

Thanks in advance for any help on this question.

Your calculations are correct.

1. Yes, the tourist board confirmed that the buses and ferries will take U.S. Coins. I had a roll of quarters just in case I needed them. the ferry fare in cash is $5. When we got off the ship the line was so small, we waited for tokens and saved $.50 each, as tokens are $4.50.

2. yes, the buses and ferries take one token or one ticket. The ticket book has perforated tickets and you just rip them out. When you get on, there will be a fare box. just drop it in. Don't forget to say Good morning.

3.You will not be able to get a refund for unused tickets but you can save them for a future trip or pass them on. I gave mine to a crew member because they do get off the ship in port. just figure what you need and go from there. The ticket book for fifteen is $37.50 or tokens are $4.50.

4. St. George does sell the ticket books in the ferry terminal. When you get off the ferry, it is right there with maps, brochures and rest rooms.

Also, if you are changing bus lines, you can ask the driver for a transfer when you board and it is included in the same fare. You should ask for the transfer as you board and when you pay.

Ticket/token counts aside, you need to take the #7 bus from Hamilton to Horseshoe Bay, Horseshoe Bay to the lighthouse and then back to Dockyard. The #8 bus does not take you to the South Shore beach area.

Also, to clarify what the previous poster said, free transfers from one bus line to another are only good for the next arriving bus. You can't get off a bus with a transfer, do whatever for an hour or two and then use the free transfer for a subsequent bus. Also, there is no free transfer between buses and ferries.

Also, keep in mind that you can't purchase ticket books at the Dockyard, only tokens and passes. Do the math, but it's possible that your best bet will be to buy one token per person for the initial ferry ride to Hamilton or St. George's and then to buy a ticket book upon arrival in St. George's or Hamilton. If that leaves you a token/ticket or two short of your needs, just buy the right number of additional tokens.

Edited by njhorseman

I think the if you are using the ticket book, it costs 2 tickets to get to St. G's on the ferry from Dockyard, at least it did when I was there last month.

You only need one ticket for the ferry or the bus. We just did this multiple times, the first week of June.

If it takes 2 tickets to get onto the ferry from Dock Yard to St George, it breaks down to $5 per ride and that seems more expensive than the token which is $4.50. However if it takes only 1 ticket, then it's about $2.50 per ride and that's a good deal vs using the token.

If it takes 2 tickets to get onto the ferry from Dock Yard to St George, it breaks down to $5 per ride and that seems more expensive than the token which is $4.50. However if it takes only 1 ticket, then it's about $2.50 per ride and that's a good deal vs using the token.

It's only one ticket per person in each direction. The poster who said it requires two is wrong. The ferry fare between Dockyard and St. George's (Orange Route ferry) is the same as the ferry fare between Dockyard and Hamilton (Blue Route ferry). The Pink Route ferry has a lower fare than the Blue, Orange and Green routes, but few tourists use the Pink Route...it's mostly used by commuters traveling to and from work and school.

Edited by njhorseman

So could two people use the same ticket book? We always by a 2 day pass but with the increase I think we'd be better off buying the ticket book as we don't use the buses and ferries very much.

Yes, you can share a ticket book. You can only pick the ticket books up in Hamilton or St. George's bus stations. You would need to use tokens to get to either of these two places. They only sell tokens and passes at the Dockyard.

We just shared the ticket booklet and it worked out perfectly. You can buy your tokens at Dockyard. I had brought along a roll of quarters ($10) and if the lines for tokens would have been too long I planned on just paying $5 per person to get on the ferry and then get the ticket booklet at the ferry terminal when we got off. They will not accept paper money but U.S. Coins are accepted for fares. As it turns out the line was so short, I bought two tokens for $9 and off we went. I bought the tickets and they were super easy to use. There are fare boxes and you just deposit one as you get on the ferry or bus.

It's only one ticket per person in each direction. The poster who said it requires two is wrong. The ferry fare between Dockyard and St. George's (Orange Route ferry) is the same as the ferry fare between Dockyard and Hamilton (Blue Route ferry). The Pink Route ferry has a lower fare than the Blue, Orange and Green routes, but few tourists use the Pink Route...it's mostly used by commuters traveling to and from work and school.

So for 2 adults and 2 children to go from the dockyard to St. George it would be one ticket pp each way? Same scenario but from Dockyard to Hamilton?

Trying to find out the most economical way for us to travel. What would you recommend? We plan on spending the day in St George one day and Hamilton the next. We wont be using buses at either location. Either walking or taking a taxi.

So for 2 adults and 2 children to go from the dockyard to St. George it would be one ticket pp each way? Same scenario but from Dockyard to Hamilton?

Trying to find out the most economical way for us to travel. What would you recommend? We plan on spending the day in St George one day and Hamilton the next. We wont be using buses at either location. Either walking or taking a taxi.

Yes, one ticket per person in each direction. But you can't buy the ticket books at Dockyard, only tokens and transportation passes, so you'll need to go to Hamilton or St. George's to buy tickets and that would meaning buying tokens or paying in cash for your first trip from Dockyard.

Yes, one ticket per person in each direction. But you can't buy the ticket books at Dockyard, only tokens and transportation passes, so you'll need to go to Hamilton or St. George's to buy tickets and that would meaning buying tokens or paying in cash for your first trip from Dockyard.

What is the price difference tokens vs. tickets? If we went that route how many tokens would we need each person each way from the dockyard to St George? From the Dockyard to Hamilton?

The most economical way for your family to get around is to buy four tokens at the Dockyard and take the ferry to either St. George or Hamilton. That would be $18 (4 x $4.50) to get you to either port. Once you get at the port, make a stop at the main bus station and pick up a book of tickets which will cost $37.50 for 15 tickets. Each ferry or bus ride is one ticket. So your turn trip to the Dockyard is 4 tickets. The second day, you would use 8 tickets for your round trip. You would have an extra three tickets but it is still the most economical way for your plans. You can either keep the tickets for your next trip to Bermuda or give them to some one who lives on Bermuda to use up. That would be a total of $55.50 for your transportation on Bermuda, much less than buying two adult and two children's transportation passes.

The most economical way for your family to get around is to buy four tokens at the Dockyard and take the ferry to either St. George or Hamilton. That would be $18 (4 x $4.50) to get you to either port. Once you get at the port, make a stop at the main bus station and pick up a book of tickets which will cost $37.50 for 15 tickets. Each ferry or bus ride is one ticket. So your turn trip to the Dockyard is 4 tickets. The second day, you would use 8 tickets for your round trip. You would have an extra three tickets but it is still the most economical way for your plans. You can either keep the tickets for your next trip to Bermuda or give them to some one who lives on Bermuda to use up. That would be a total of $55.50 for your transportation on Bermuda, much less than buying two adult and two children's transportation passes.

Ok perfect thank you! All these years we've been cruising to Bermuda we have always bought the 3 day transportation passes for all of us but normally only did a round trip ferry. I never thought it would be cheaper to do the tokens/tickets. Thanks again!

The passes use to be the way to go but the price of them keeps going up so now we have to do our math and figure out which way would be better and more economical. If you were planning on visiting many different places in one day and were going to be getting on and off the buses and ferries, the pass is a better deal but for one trip each way each day, it is better to do the tokens and tickets.

The passes use to be the way to go but the price of them keeps going up so now we have to do our math and figure out which way would be better and more economical. If you were planning on visiting many different places in one day and were going to be getting on and off the buses and ferries, the pass is a better deal but for one trip each way each day, it is better to do the tokens and tickets.

I always make a guess about what I will be doing every day. It has always been the case on all my Bermuda cruises that most of the time getting tokens is less expensive. But when planning on doing a lot of hopping on and off and ferries, or if I am not sure then I get the pass. Some cruises I didn't buy passes or tokens. When I went with four or more we took taxies everywhere. Some might want to get the passes even though they could save by doing the trips with tokens for the convenience. Sometimes that beats being economical. With the passes you don't have to fumble for tokens. Also some destinations require 2 tokens. If I do get the pass on these 2 and three quarter day itineraries which are shorter than the 3 and a half day itinerries we used to have, I get a two day pass. I never get a three day pass anymore. If I use public transit the third day I use tokens.

Edited by Charles4515

Ok perfect thank you! All these years we've been cruising to Bermuda we have always bought the 3 day transportation passes for all of us but normally only did a round trip ferry. I never thought it would be cheaper to do the tokens/tickets. Thanks again!

If your children are between the ages of 5 and 15 you don't have to spend $4.50 each on tokens for them. You can pay a cash fare of $2.75 each (in coins only). If they're under age 5, they ride for free.

If you're taking the ferry from Dockyard to Hamilton you don't have to go to the bus terminal to buy ticket books. They're also sold at the Hamilton ferry terminal. Of course if your next stop after exiting the ferry was to take a bus anyway then you can just as easily buy the tickets at the bus terminal, but if not, buy them at the ferry terminal.

If you're taking the ferry from Dockyard to St. George's, then the ticket books are supposed to be sold at the Visitors Information Center adjacent to the ferry terminal. Someone recently confirmed that they were being sold there. In St. George's there really isn't a big bus terminal akin to the one in Hamilton.

Edited by njhorseman