No Bottles allowed

TXFATGUY

I think this is fair...

Question - we were on Freedom in Dec, and used refillable water bottles and filled with water from the ship. It was perfectly fine. So why buy the water even?

We always brought refillable bottles on our cruises. We used them mostly for the gym and excursions. And when we finished the water, we often had to buy more in port for more $$ than the 12-pack now costs. We never brought them for sunbathing on deck. Admittedly, they did take up space in our suitcases.

With the new reduced price of the bottled water, we ordered a 12-pack for the convenience. Now we can just throw a few bottles in our backpacks and head out for our tours.

I think this is fair...

Question - we were on Freedom in Dec, and used refillable water bottles and filled with water from the ship. It was perfectly fine. So why buy the water even?

I'm not the most experienced cruiser, but have completed 16 cruises. When I first started cruising, I drank the ships water and had no discernable swelling (at least that I remember). Then a few years ago, my feet starting swelling to the extent that I could not wear my shoes. :eek: This was on Celebrity, RCCL and Carnival. On my last 3 cruises I only drank bottled water and no swelling! Carnival's decision to sell the cases for $2.99 is a godsend for me as I drink at least 2 liters of water a day and it would be a hassel to try to bring that much water onboard.

Just because you're does that mean every grocery store does? The one I frequent only has organic in large bottles. Not everyone will have the same type of your store as you do. You should never assume because you have it available others will.

So try a different store. Good grief.

Just because you're does that mean every grocery store does? The one I frequent only has organic in large bottles. Not everyone will have the same type of your store as you do. You should never assume because you have it available others will.

Then you either shop at another store, order from Amazon, or find another means to satisfy your own needs.

Clearly there's always someone that's going to be up in arms over any changes.

I think the biggest thing will be when people bring their wine to the MDR and find out they have to pay the $15 corkage fee. In the past it was waived most of the times and I think now that it is going to be enforced, it's going to cause a lot of people to start complaining.

I know there will still be those who will bring a glass and then want a second one, so running back to the cabin during dinner may result in Carnival's selling more wine. I think that is the idea. Also, if you have to pay $15 for a $6 bottle of wine you carried on, it might not seem so expensive to buy a cheap bottle of Carnival wine.

I really thought that would go the way of NCL and charge everyone bringing on wine a corkage fee when boarding. Perhaps that will come later though, who knows?

By the way I haven't experienced the fee on NCL, but I have read it on here a few times, so I guess that's what they do.

If you like your sodas in bottles, you can probably bring an empty soda bottle on board and refill it from your cans. I sometimes do that at home since I like diet cherry coke and I've never seen it in small bottles.

If you can't find what you want in cans or boxes at home, you probably can buy it in your port of embarkation or order it online at Amazon or a similar site.

Edited by Viv0828

It's not a big deal, of course, but it is a deal.

I prefer my sodas in bottles as I only use a small amount at a time. A 20 oz bottle lasts me most of 2 days. Once opened, a can will go flat in half a day. So I will have to use at least twice as many cans as I did bottles. Again, not devastating, but also not without its disadvantage.

Might a screw-top sports bottle keep your soda fresher longer?

As for water... They are not all alike. There is a particular national brand that has always tasted like dirt to me. I know that there are many people who claim that all water tastes alike and that the water on board is perfectly fine. That's great that they think that. There are also a great number of people who think that all mayonnaise tastes the same, or that all sodas and beers taste alike, and that a steak is a steak is a steak. Conversely, there are also a large number of us who know that this is nonsense. We have our brands that taste different and which we prefer over the others. Were this not true, brand wars would cease to exist.

I definitely agree about some water tasting awful. I enjoy any brand of spring water. But I think purified water has a funky taste.

Again, the changes are not a BIG deal, but for many of us, it IS a deal.

Bob

I think all the people who have made a big deal about bragging on how they snuck on alcohol will make the biggest deal out of this.

Sure, I'll get right on that. One grocery store in my town, nearest town is 46 miles.

I just did a quick search on Amazon for organic juice available in cans and small cartons. Funny enough, there was plenty to choose from. I would imagine UPS or USPS deliver to your home.

The interwebs are a magical resource.

Edited by RickinNYC

I'm okay with the water, I already ordered it. But does this mean the bottle of vodka I order for my room won't be given to me until the day I leave? That's pointless. Im an extremely unpleasant person in the morning until I've had my coffee and bloody Mary. I had planned to bring my own veggie juice and have my morning drinks before leaving my cabin. Just to be considerate to my fellow cruisers, of course😁

Then you either shop at another store, order from Amazon, or find another means to satisfy your own needs.

Clearly there's always someone that's going to be up in arms over any changes.

Doesn't affect me, people always think that everyone has access to the very same thing as you do. So many think because it doesn't affect them that it won't effect others. Order from Amazon really ? Pay $15 in shipping for $3 of juice?

Doesn't affect me, people always think that everyone has access to the very same thing as you do. So many think because it doesn't affect them that it won't effect others. Order from Amazon really ? Pay $15 in shipping for $3 of juice?

A solution was offered. You don't like the solution. Perhaps a strongly worded email to Carnival will get you the results you clearly need.

I can't get decent grits, let alone sweet tea, or biscuits and gravy, here in NYC. Three things I grew up with. So nope, I can't get everything I want in my neck of the woods. I should complain vociferously.

And wait, if this change doesn't affect you, why are you complaining? Are you that concerned about all those millions of people out there that will be impacted by this horrible change?

Edited by RickinNYC

Beware of your unopened bottles of booze your trying to smuggle on. Looks like now they will be thrown away instead of returned to you at the end of cruise if found. Announcement only mentions bottles purchased at port or on board will be returned to you at the end of cruise. :rolleyes:

There will be some upset folks. Only can drinks will be allowed, no bottles.

All the blame goes to those people that smuggled alcohol in their water, soda and other means of rumrunners. And those that scream the loudest are probably the ones that did the smuggling.

If you have any friends or family who have Amazon Prime, shipping is free. They can even have items shipped to your home.

GrannyFlamingo

I am certain they don't mean pre-ordered alcohol that you have purchased for on-board consumption. They mean alcohol that you buy duty-free onboard during the cruise and that is purchased duty-free in port.

Edited by bargainsniper

And those that scream the loudest are probably the ones that did the smuggling.

orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.........

People like me who have preferred bottle water brands. I do not like the water you can get from taps on the boat, & I liked getting larger bottles for port days. Though yep everyone who is complaining must have been cheating.

But does this mean the bottle of vodka I order for my room won't be given to me until the day I leave? That's pointless. Im an extremely unpleasant person in the morning until I've had my coffee and bloody Mary. I had planned to bring my own veggie juice and have my morning drinks before leaving my cabin. Just to be considerate to my fellow cruisers, of course

Bottles ordered through the funshop will be delivered to your cabin as requested; it's the bottles you buy onboard through the duty free shop (at often very cheap prices) that you won't get until debarkation.

If it is really about alcohol safety then why will they still sell me a full bottle from the Fun Shop? There is nothing to prevent me ordering two full bottles and drinking them both in one day. (Other than my own body couldn't handle it). Is their $80 bottle of white rum that much safer than the $20 bottle of the same thing I can purchase on land? Either way there is no control on how I drink it.

I don't plan to smuggle. I just don't buy their rationale.

Edited by edbro