Bad Weather

alpha0meqa

Go to the Dollar Store and get a clear rain poncho for everyone in your crowd. We planned for over a year for a cruise to Hawaii and like you, I saw rain predicted for EVERY island on the day we were there. In Maui, we went on a whale watch and left the port to go to the boat with our rain ponchos on. It cleared up after about the first hour and was sunny the rest of the day.The whale watch was amazing. After spending a little time on the deck that had a shelter, we were able to go back up to the sundeck and enjoy the rest of the day. That was the only island where we had rain. We went to the Old Lahaina Luau and they were just getting everything dried off...no rain while we were there. We've been in ports in the Caribbean when it rained and we grabbed our handy disposable rain ponchos and just carried on. The rain didn't last very long. We had winds and rough weather coming from Hawaii to Ensenada so bad that they closed the outside decks and locked the doors. It got windy and chilly, but inside the ship, they had activities planned and we had a great time. It's hard not to build up expectations, but you will be on a beautiful ship with loads of things to do if the worst predictions of rain come true...but plenty of things can be enjoyed, even if it rains.

There are lots of things to do on rainy days. The ship is like a small city and there are activities and things going on all the time. Join in. Try something new. Meet some new people. The other thing rainy days are great for is really gearing down. Sleep in. Order room service. Read a book or watch something stupid on TV. Snooze. Get a board game or a deck of cards (they have them on the ship), and play a game as a family. Put on your bathing suits and go in the hot tub - it's a nice experience to have the cool rain on your face while the hot water bubbles around you.

Bring rain coats and umbrellas, and go ashore. Sure, it's wet, but life goes on for the people who live there. Find a little bar, hunker in, and play charades or 20 questions.

In all my travels, it's the moments of adversity that I have remembered best and most fondly.

alpha0mega, I don't know where you live, but you must know when it rains in the Caribbean, it is a warm rain, and it usually doesn't last long. The first time we experienced rain on a cruise, we were blown away by the fact that we didn't have to break out our warm (lined) raincoats and shiver for a while. A little travel umbrella will be all you need, or if you want to keep your hands free for drinks (with little umbrellas in them:D), bring along little rain ponchos from the dollar store. And remember, the happiness of your family on this cruise does not depend on you, it is your holiday as well and you can't control the weather. Enjoy the time spent with your loved ones and look for the rainbows.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

alpha0mega, I don't know where you live, but you must know when it rains in the Caribbean, it is a warm rain, and it usually doesn't last long. The first time we experienced rain on a cruise, we were blown away by the fact that we didn't have to break out our warm (lined) raincoats and shiver for a while. A little travel umbrella will be all you need, or if you want to keep your hands free for drinks (with little umbrellas in them:D), bring along little rain ponchos from the dollar store. And remember, the happiness of your family on this cruise does not depend on you, it is your holiday as well and you can't control the weather. Enjoy the time spent with your loved ones and look for the rainbows.

Thank you very much. I'll be grabbing umbrellas then just in case.

I live in Raleigh, North Carolina. Rain is no fun here...Two cruises so far, never seen a drop of rain so I was just worried :) Thanks for the positive vibes!!

I live in Raleigh, North Carolina. Rain is no fun here...Two cruises so far, never seen a drop of rain so I was just worried Thanks for the positive vibes!!

Seriously, the first warm rain we ever experienced was one summer vacation when we drove from the "frozen tundra" to visit friends we'd met on a cruise who live just outside of Charlotte, NC. We were amazed that we could walk around and despite being wet, were warm, unlike the cold rains we get up here. I hope you have a wonderful cruise.