No bottle:diabetics,no caffeine,no sugar....

MEcruisin

Hi OP,

I am diabetic and I am high risk for heart failure and I am on a struck diet, I ordered the bottle water for $2.99 for twelve bottles, I can not have the Diet sodas because it has Asperatain in it which is rat poison and it affects my kidney function and my liver function, so my Dr. told me that I can not drink that He also told me I can drink a sprite if I really need the soda, it is low in sugar and no caffeine, I usually don't drink soda carbonation is not good for you anyway, I live off of water or unsweet tea. I have been on 20 cruises and I usually drink sprite if I have to have it but mostly just water and unsweet tea. I have just been diagnosed with the heart failure and I started the no salt diet and I can tell you when we go cruising I have no problem sticking to what I have to have. I don't eat the deserts I eat fruit. It is not that hard to let them know what you can and can not have they will accommodate you. Good luck and best wishes

Again, carbonated drinks are a NO - GO for gastric bypass patients.

OP, I have diabetes also, and I can totally relate to the limited drink options available to us even in grocery stores. How do you feel about fruit infused water? You could get one of those special cups and carry it while it's steeping or just get a pitcher to keep fruit steeping in water in your state room. Also, how do you feel about just adding a small splash of fruit juice into a large cup of water to flavor it? This is doable on a ship. Lastly, are there any teas that you like as iced tea? Starbucks makes a passion tea chiller that I copycat at home. I brew some of their passion tea bags, ice it down, and a pack of crystal light lemonade or a couple of squeezes of fresh lemon juice and a dash of stevia. It might be some trouble, but you could make this work by bringing a large insulated mug, the passion tea bags and crystal light powder of stevia.

Of course, it would never hurt to contact the special needs department for guidance, either.

OP, what kind of sweeteners can you use?

I personally like the stevia type that are available in packets. And nothing beats fresh iced tea. Can you bring some decaf teabags on board in your carry on, or even some herbal type teabags? That way you can have hot water delivered or served to you, with a supply of ice and cups...squeeze some fresh lemon, apply stevia packets to taste, and voila-tasty super fresh decaf iced tea!

Actually, that sounds good right now :p

I was going to suggest this also. There are several flavored teas that do not contain caffeine. If you do not want to make the tea on the lido deck, order hot water from room service. Or what about buying a case of bottled flavor water like Zero Vitamin Water, or SoBe Zero? Maybe even diet Gatorade or PowerAde.

My husband is diabetic so I understand the struggle. ;)

Unfortunately, the new policy doesn't allow for bottles of anything to be brought onboard. Just cans or cartons.

My dad is a fan of no sugar kool-aid and sweetener. Could you take an empty bottle/sip cup and mix individual kool-aid pacts with water and sweetener powder?

My T1 hubby drinks these when we visit and really likes them so as we cannot take our usual cordial on board we will have to take these instead.

Also concerned we cannot take lucozade bottles on the ship for when he is low. It comes in cans but these are harder to find and sugar gels are pricier and Lucozade is easier to get his dosage to come right back up to 4-7.

i don't know what lucozade is, but I would think that if it's a medical need, contacting the Special Needs dept should take care of it. Hope it works out for you!

OP, I hope some of the ideas have helped. Do you have a Target near you? They carry a Market Pantry water enhancer liquid that is Orange and...something...pineapple? Anyway, it is sugar free and tastes a lot like orange juice. They really have a lot of flavor options and many of them are sweetened with Stevia or sucralose. I cannt tolerate aspartame, so I'm always careful about that.

Good grief this is completely a medical issue and the OP needs to contact Medical/Special Needs Dept. All this hand wringing is ridiculous, speak with the people who can assist and make provisions for your needs.

with the surgery you had you should not be drinking those other light drinks, if you must flavor the water, use crystal light, lemons or limes. My sister had the surgery and those are all to be avoided.

OP sorry for your predicament. Please disregard the rude responses and just focus on the many good recommendations here. I understand the the no carbonated drinks. Also I may have missed along the way, as I did not read all posts, whether you are type 1 or 2 diabetic.

Only you can figure out what is best for you, but I must say that after many years of drinking aspartame sweetened beverages, I have only recently learned how bad they are for you, and in so many ways. I no longer drink them. I have learned to enjoy water with a slice of lemon or lime. And I also sometimes mix regular juice including cranberry with water. I prefer to take a lesser amount of natural sugar, than to have a sweeter aspartame drink. This is just me though. I hope that will all the helpful responses here you can figure something out by cruise time, and certainly a pre cruise call to special needs will help.

Good luck and have a great cruise.

In the MDR, ask your waiter for extra lemons, bring your favorite sweetener and make lemonade. They have other fresh fruits, orange and grapefruit, which you can get and do the same. I like those better than anything out of a can, they are cheaper, less hassle than toting the drinks on the ship, and a little better for you.