Taeiri Gorge Train from Dunedin

We tried to book the Taieri Gorge trip though an independent company and found that Princess had booked all of the train cars the days the ships were in port. We were forced to book our trip through Princess.

Same on Celebrity - all cars booked by the Cruise Line, as it picks up from the port.

We tried to book the Taieri Gorge trip though an independent company and found that Princess had booked all of the train cars the days the ships were in port. We were forced to book our trip through Princess.

Same on Celebrity - all cars booked by the Cruise Line, as it picks up from the port.

This usually only happens when 2 or more ships are in port.

The Taieri Gorge operator can advise you if independant travel is available on the day you require. Just send them an email.

Very easy and so much cheaper to do this great trip independantly and the private operators also take you back to the gang plank.

there is a tour company that goes from the cruise ships much cheaper than the ships... http://Www.goodcompanytours.com. $125. With transportation to and from the ship and includes a city tour. Same 4 1/2 hour train ride at the same time the ship tour goes for much less.

I have emailed them, will hopefully get a reply. On the railway website it looks like there are still spaces for the journey. Fingers crossed.

Hi Karen and Thx ent704 for the info on this company. http://www.goodcompanytours.co.nz

Karen I ended up phoning them to enquire when they would be taking 2016 reservations. Trouble with their website which got fixed promptly this morning ( Monday there!) I booked us for Feb 7... Which cruise are you on?

Very fairly priced trip ...as noted, half the cost of a ship excursion. 125.00 pp NZD compared to HAL line 249.95pp USD. Only difference, you take company coach from ship to railway stn where you board the public train on the exact same tracks, for the exact same trip. The ship has their own train which leaves from the port and returns there later. Ship tour provides lunch. However, Good Company also picks you up in a coach after the train returns and takes you on a 2 hour local sightseeing tour before returning you to the ship in port. You also buy your own lunch! Looks very good to us.

I will put this info on our roll call in case others are interested too.

Thnks CC....cooperative minds win out! Cheers, Marg

Edited by muffin

I've been watching videos about the train ride and the scenery is not what I expected (more pastures and rolling hills). I've done train ride in Skagway Alaska and thought this would be similar. Am I watching the wrong footage ? What is the attraction with the train? There must be something to it if both cruise lines are buying it up, right?

Thanks- Karen

I have emailed them, will hopefully get a reply. On the railway website it looks like there are still spaces for the journey. Fingers crossed.

Suggest a look at tripadvisor under Dunedin and Taieri gorge railway. Riders are

Seemingly very happy with the trip. It mentions going through several types of terrain from rolling hills to spectacular gorges snd tressels etc. it will not be like skagway, as there are no rolling hills anywhere near those huge mountains. Plus it is over two hours each way.....obviously lots more time to see varying countryside. I understand it was an amazing feat to build the NZ route too. Viator seems to be another NZ source of travellers reactions. Just keep looking, you will find something that meets your needs and expectations I am sure.

I've been watching videos about the train ride and the scenery is not what I expected (more pastures and rolling hills). I've done train ride in Skagway Alaska and thought this would be similar. Am I watching the wrong footage ? What is the attraction with the train? There must be something to it if both cruise lines are buying it up, right?

Thanks- Karen

Funnily enough I was having second thoughts about the railway as we have recently been to skagway! DH thinks it will be just like England but with a lot less people and a lot more sheep! To be on the train for 4 hrs sounded too much for him.

Good tour company was offering a one way trip to join the train at the turning point as our ship (Solstice) doesn't dock till 9am and they didn't think they would get us on the 930 train. So 2 hrs by bus and 2 hrs train. Plus 2 hrs sightseeing. It is still good value compared to the ship!

Might just get off and see what's on offer in the end. The Otago peninsula sounds good..... Or Dunedin itself is nice to just wander around. We are doing big tours in some of the other ports, so maybe a restful port might be nice.

4 yrs ago we did the Tieri Gorge Train on own own. One of our fellow passengers arranged for tickets for a group of approx 12. There were vans which we paid a $5 to take us from the port to the train station. As previously mentioned we were on the train not reserved for the cruise line. Yes they had mimosa and a lunch but at a hefty price than what we paid. The trip was beautiful and doddering from Skagway which we too have taken.

Along the way we stopped where there were a group of ladies selling some crafts. Not many and not pushy. It was mainly a photo op.

When we disembarked the train we walked to the Cadbury factory a little shopping and a shuttle back to the ship. A very nice day.

We took this trip while staying in Dunedin in April (off season so we just walked down to the station and got tickets that morning). It was nice but not spectacular-we met some kiwis on the long trip back and forth who gave us lots of good advice for our next stops and who told us about the museum next to the station which has some very nice old time decor. Far better is the Otago Peninsula even if you have to take an expensive ship tour.