What is so dangerous about cave tubing ?

NightOne

All the pictures, reviews, and websites I see about cave tubing in Belize show everyone with a helmet and life vest with groups of people strapped together.

So, what is so dangerous about cave tubing in Belize that this is required ???

For those that have done it, will they let you go without all the safety equipment?

Thanks

Liability insurance purposes for excursion vendors. Same reason they make you connect with the tube in front of you. But in the wet season, there could be run off after a storm passes and the water could be flowing quite rapidly. If a tub flips, there always a possibility of drowning. Bottom is rocky in spots and there have been instances of rocks falling from the roof of the caves. Better safe than sorry.

Liability insurance purposes for excursion vendors. Same reason they make you connect with the tube in front of you. But in the wet season, there could be run off after a storm passes and the water could be flowing quite rapidly. If a tub flips, there always a possibility of drowning. Bottom is rocky in spots and there have been instances of rocks falling from the roof of the caves. Better safe than sorry.

If it is merely for liability reasons then a simple waiver could take care of that.

I am more asking what any regular legitimate issues that require this. I mean, I do not see the guides wearing any protection. :)

Where did you hear about the rocks falling? or did you experience this 1st hand?

Thanks for the links.

Ok, so it sounds like the standard drowning precaution.

Those stories also imply this was an issue with the conditions and the guide.

Under normal circumstances I am not seeing how it is that dangerous. Sure, if you are on a river with rapids then that is a different story.

It is just safety precaution- the helmet if you hit a wall or if rocks fall. The life jacket as a drowning precaution.

People have died on these excursions (when the water is so fast the company should have canceled) but it is generally extremely safe.

Linking people together is just to keep the groups together.

I have floated streams and rivers my whole life without a life jacket, but I liked having the helmet and life jacket because: (1) you are floating in a dark cave and it is difficult to judge water depth and flow, and (2) the helmet has the convenient feature of having a light attached to it.

Our guide also wore a helmet during the trip.

I have floated streams and rivers my whole life without a life jacket, but I liked having the helmet and life jacket because: (1) you are floating in a dark cave and it is difficult to judge water depth and flow, and (2) the helmet has the convenient feature of having a light attached to it.

Our guide also wore a helmet during the trip.

Thanks for the response. This is exactly the kind of info I was wondering about.