FREEDOM OF THE SEAS review May 31st-June 7th

We booked this cruise January 30, 2015. It was my hubby and me (60ish), grandson (10), son (35), his girlfriend (45), and her two children (girl 17 and boy 15). We had a JS on deck ten, they had balcony and inside cabins on deck 8. The early MDR seating was full and the late was wait listed so we took My Time dining. I made reservations online right away for 5:45 as nothing else was available until 7:30. MTD allows you 15 past your time then you lose your reservation. We were seated at the same table every night. Our wait staff was great and very accommodating especially having two vegetarians and a picky 10 year old.

The worst part of the cruise was dropping off at the terminal, we arrived at around 11am, the far right lane was drop off and pick up. It was very confusing. We had a 40% off parking voucher from the La Quinta Inn we had stayed at the night before, so it cost us $72. I had a huge carry on and it fit fine in the x-ray machine. All wine must be in your carry on. We checked in and boarded around 11:30. The grandson was fitted with a wristband before we boarded. The cabins aren't available until 1 pm. The kids made their shore excursion and we made our Chops reservations before we ate lunch at the WJ. We didn't book online because we wanted to use our on board credit. The WJ was crowded. Jade is first, then salad bar and finally towards the back there were hot foods and desserts. Sorrento's pizza on deck 5 was also available. We had vouchers for the Royal Replenish soda package and a spa treatment. The voucher for the spa treatment was only good on port days so I booked my facial for Monday morning as hubby and I didn't get off at CocoCay. S booked hers for the first night and she got an additional 15 minutes free. I loved the facial, but I guess because I am older and more decrepit, she poked and exfoliated a lot. I broke out in huge cysts and my nose peeled. Real attractive for pictures. Note to self: massage next time.

SHORE EXCURSIONS: They did the Aqua Park/ Waterslide at CocoCay. It was ok. The best one was at St. Thomas, the Snuba. They said it was well worth the cost ($69.75)

SPECIALITY DINING:We did Chops on Wednesday for our Anniversary. 9 oz. filet for me and large strip steak for hubby. Mine was better. We all ate at Sabor for lunch on Friday. Although the food was good, it was very small portions. Luckily, we ordered several dishes. The staff had a very difficult time with any special requests.

DINING: My Time was great, we had the same table and wait staff. We ate at Johnny Rockets one night. It was a $5.95 cover, they only charged us for the four adults. The hamburgers, chili and shakes (they were $4.50 for a small) were very good.

My hubby and I ate at Leonardo's for lunch 3 days. It was the same menu. Beware of the rolls, some of which had whole peppercorns in them, not a good idea. The best dessert we had on the ship was here, cherry crepes with a berry sauce.

ENTERTAINMENT: We saw all the shows, Ice show, Quest, Love and Marriage, comedians. Both comedians had late night adult shows, a little racy but not blue. Get to the Ice show at least 30 minutes early if you want a seat facing the stage.

SHOPPING: I only bought a hat at St. Thomas, we did not go into downtown. We walked the 15 minutes into St. Maarten, taxi is $3pp one way. Hubby and son struck a deal for 3 Seiko Watches. I checked Amazon when we got home and hubby's was the same price. I bought a mother of pearl/Swarovski Citizen watch on the ship and it was $30 less than Amazon. So I felt I got a good deal on the price and not having to pay tax.

All in all, it was a great trip and would do it again.

Our junior suite had a departure time of 7:30, the rest of the family was later. We chose to eat a sit down breakfast at Leonardo's so we left the ship around 9am. We did not do self-carry. You can get off as early as 7am if you do. The bags were easy to find and customs took about 20 minutes. Look at your scheduled time on the information sheet placed in your cabin the last night and see what is best for you. Enjoy your cruise!

Our family of 21 will be Freedom 7/19/15 sailing sound like we are in for a treat, thanks for your review.:)

What dining option are you doing? If you are My Time you need to make your reservations on line and tie your reservations together to have tables near each other. There was a party of 20 checking in for dinner ahead of us and they couldn't be seated near each other the first night.

What was bad about Drop off

Prior guests were getting picked up by friends and taxi's. It was the same lane as the drop off. The two left lanes are thru lanes. There were a couple of people directing traffic, one guy motioned my husband to get in the middle lane, only to find out it was not the drop off lane. At that point he stopped the car and pretty much threw the bags on the curb, the guy yelled at him but my husband told him that is where he was directed. There was no way he was going to exit and come back around. It's just very chaotic. Just a heads up.

Prior guests were getting picked up by friends and taxi's. It was the same lane as the drop off. The two left lanes are thru lanes. There were a couple of people directing traffic, one guy motioned my husband to get in the middle lane, only to find out it was not the drop off lane. At that point he stopped the car and pretty much threw the bags on the curb, the guy yelled at him but my husband told him that is where he was directed. There was no way he was going to exit and come back around. It's just very chaotic. Just a heads up.

We did Enchantment over Easter. Got dropped off by a friend around noon. The place was a ghost town. Maybe Freedom will be more crowded

Thanks for the review!

A few questions: Did you ask to have your mini-fridges emptied? Was there a news channel of any kind? Did you see the cabanas that others have reported by the pool, and any idea what the rental for them is?