Insurance Help again

N&J

Since we live in Fort Lauderdale do not need all the flight delay etc. Main concern is medical of course - here are a few questions cruising the Caribbean

Travel guard- got 1 mil evacuation and $50,000 accident and sickness

Question: should I lower the evacuation and increase the accident and sickness

Question: Any one used Insure and go or Insure Assist.

Any suggestions will be great!

Thanks you

Nan

Edited by N&J

Some of the insurance websites such as insuremytrip have user reviews. I always check the ones that have actually made claims. We used Travel Safe last year and they had a claims policy that was very nit picky. (For example, we had to provide proof that we had paid for the policy even though they had a record of payment.)

With regard to amounts, I always want to know that we can get home if need be and won't end up in debt from hospital bills. And I want a company that will assure the hospital of payment so that I don't have to pay upfront.

I would definitely want higher medical coverage, a minimum of $100,000.

We carry an annual MedJet policy for evacuation.

Likewise... I have Med Jet and have a solid policy which I bought both through TripInsuranceStore.com

Steve

We wouldn't travel without medjet....and we have medigap policies that cover up to $50K of medical expenses outside the US (both of those are annual policies). We buy travel insurance at final payment time (when we are sure we are taking the cruise) to cover evacuation from the ship to a hospital, add $50K to our medical and get the baggage and other coverages.

We don't buy TA when we purchase the tickets because if you cancel the cruise, you don't get the travel insurance back...The "risk" is pre-existing" conditions but I've posted a few times here about understanding the definition of "pre-existing conditions".

I think $50K of medical insurance outside the US is probably enough to get us medically stable enough for medjet to fly us back to the US.

I can't imagine a situation where you would need $1M to evacuate...maybe $250,000 and that would be high in my estimation even without MedJet.

Now where it gets sticky is without medjet...because you can be in a foreign hospital for a long time depending on your medical issue. Most policies require the remote hospital and your insurance company to agree that it's medically necessary for you to be evacuated. Medjet doesn't...it's only requirement is that you are medically stable enough to be flown home and you request that they fly you home. That's a VERY big difference and it's why we carry a medjet policy.

We wouldn't travel without medjet....and we have medigap policies that cover up to $50K of medical expenses outside the US (both of those are annual policies). We buy travel insurance at final payment time (when we are sure we are taking the cruise) to cover evacuation from the ship to a hospital, add $50K to our medical and get the baggage and other coverages.

We don't buy TA when we purchase the tickets because if you cancel the cruise, you don't get the travel insurance back...The "risk" is pre-existing" conditions but I've posted a few times here about understanding the definition of "pre-existing conditions".

I think $50K of medical insurance outside the US is probably enough to get us medically stable enough for medjet to fly us back to the US.

I can't imagine a situation where you would need $1M to evacuate...maybe $250,000 and that would be high in my estimation even without MedJet.

Now where it gets sticky is without medjet...because you can be in a foreign hospital for a long time depending on your medical issue. Most policies require the remote hospital and your insurance company to agree that it's medically necessary for you to be evacuated. Medjet doesn't...it's only requirement is that you are medically stable enough to be flown home and you request that they fly you home. That's a VERY big difference and it's why we carry a medjet policy.

Would you mind sharing what insurance you buy at final payment? Thanks.

I just purchased with Travel Guard - very professional, answered all the questions, the 4 to 5 times I called ;). I called several other companies but did not provide me with the customer service, it was like pulling teeth to get an answer etc.. I max out medical and evacuation with also pre existing and all the other stuff. For 3 of us it was cheaper than the cruise line price plus alot, alot more coverage. Best thing is to call them and speak with them.

Good Luck

Nan