3,092 "Lower Berths" - Wot Mean?

I am about to embark on the Emerald Princess and was wondering about it's capacity (guests and crew). For some reason, 3,000 stuck in my mind. So of course I Googled it. I found a fact page [link below] that stated it this way:

Crew: 1,200

Guest Capacity: 3,092 lower berths.

For the guests number, why did they add the words "lower berths?" Wouldn't just the number (3,092) be sufficient or is there some traditional nautical reason to add the words or phrase, "lower berths?" 'Splain Lucy (please)!

http://www.princess.com/news/backgrounders_and_fact_sheets/factsheet/Emerald-Princess-Fact-Sheet.html#.VXjPImc5DX4

As Mary Ellen said, 3092 is the double occupancy capacity. Meaning there are 1546 staterooms on the ship. But the Emerald Princess has a whole deck of mini-suites with sofa beds, plus a healthy smattering of cabins with one or two upper berths. So (subject to not overselling the lifeboat capacity) you could have in the neighborhood of 35-3600 of your closest friends you haven't met yet onboard.

(I must say that I normally put on my ignore list new members that start another thread every time a random unfiltered thought enters their heads. But there's something weirdly entertaining about (most) all of yours....)

Edited by fishywood

(I must say that I normally put on my ignore list new members that start another thread every time a random unfiltered thought enters their heads. But there's something weirdly entertaining about (most) all of yours....)

Uh... thank you? I'm on a number of personal hobby forums myself and ignore unremarkable questions on ones I've been on for years too. Otherwise, I have no problem asking whatever I feel like knowing at the moment -- there's always a never-ending supply of fellow hobbyists who are happy to show what they know and (as a bonus) share that information. Win-win! In fact, I'm about to start another: "Pressing Question: Irons in the Cabin." And I bet you think I'm kidding.

In any event, thanks to you both for clearing up that minor mystery. Admittedly I had this picture in my mind of little people or non-revs in bunk-beds who weren't getting counted for various reasons or sumptin'. I know, Disney should have had my imagination... Anyway, I'm looking forward to my, er, intimate affair with two "tons" of people (algorithmically speaking)!

Edited by Chunder Worthy

Chunder Worthy, thanks for asking the question, while I knew the answer I am certain that many people did not and have learned something by reading this thread. Please feel free to ask any question that comes to your mind on Cruise Critic that relates to cruising, nautical terminology or ports of call. You will find that most will provide a respectful answer and those that don't ....well I guess you have the option of putting them on your "ignore" list.

Thanks Putterdude. I do in fact figure -- no matter how inane my questions may sound to others -- that somebody else is probably wondering the same thing. That's always the beauty of being relatively new to a forum, the freedom to plead ignorance so that answers to any and all basic questions can be learned.

Otherwise, heck, I just want to know things and most people here have a great attitude (I mean it's a CRUISING forum, so it's already got that built-in R&R leisure aspect - haha)!

To be a bit more precise, most ships list two different passenger capacities: normal (also referred to as "lower berth" or "double occupancy"), and maximum capacity, which is governed by the number of lifeboat seats available in the ship's boats.

There will usually be more "berths" (lowers, uppers (Pullman), and sofa beds) than the allowed maximum capacity. This allows booking 3rd/4th guests across a variety of cabin levels (suites, balcony, inside, oceanview).

Your ship, the Emerald Princess, has a maximum capacity of 3592 passengers.