HAL overnight in Venice - Shuttle?

RMLincoln

HAL Nieuw Amsterdam overnights in Venice, from 1pm arrival until disembarkation the next morning. Anyone have experience with this and if HAL has a shuttle boat to St Mark's Square? Unlimited? or cost per R/T? Wondering if it would run late enough for us to take in a classical music concert. Thanks, m--

There is a people mover (I think it was about 3 Euro per person - I cant remember if that was the return trip price) which takes you from the port to the main transportation square. From there, you can catch a Vaporetto to Piazza San Marco. There was a place to purchase the all day unlimited passes where the people mover drops you off or a Vaporetto station where you could buy 1 way tickets. My parents got that pass while we got the unlimited. Honestly, I wish we had purchased the 1 way tickets as it would have been cheaper than what we paid.

We were there on a national holiday and to say it was busy was an understatement. The Vaporetto system was crazy. We had originally planned to go explore in the afternoon, return to the ship then head out again in the evening for a bit. But because it was so busy, when we returned to the ship - because it had been such a bad and busy day fighting the crowds, we stayed on board. My parents stayed on board and they said the following day, the system was 1/4 of the people and there was no issues so I would assume that is more what the normal is. It was pretty efficient.

One word of advice, if you are ending in Venice, try to have your bags packed before you take the sail into the Grand Canal so you can enjoy the rest of the day versus worrying about it when you get back to the ship.

Enjoy...

Edited by CGYCruisingFamily

Did you look on the excursion list to see if the shuttle was listed ?

Call HAL or your TA?

If HAL doesn't have a shuttle, you can always take a water bus to Piazzale Roma, then use the People Mover (monorail) to the pier. The People Mover closes at 10 or 11pm though. And if you miss the the last train, you can walk to the pier from P Roma in about 20 minutes, or catch a cab.

Thanks all. We have been to Venice before on Princess and they had the shuttle for IIRC $15 unlimited. HAL doesn't list a shuttle in the excursions. I don't trust what their reps would tell me or tell the TA either. I trust CCers experience better than Seattle.

I will try posting on HAL board too. We are excited to be able to return to Venice, love it there and there's always a way! m--