Ship time vs. local time (Mexico)

theloo

Someone on the Mexican Riviera board wrote that Cabo is on Mountain Time, but that cruise ships stay on Pacific Time. Does anyone know if NCL ships change their time to local time? (NCL Sun did so in Alaska.) We will be leaving on the Jewel from LA, so I'd like to know so I can plan for independent shore excursions. Thanks!

The local excursion companies will know. Not to worry. Also, it is clearly posted in the Freestyle Daily. Return to ship time is posted when you depart for your excursion. Those who have problems are the folk who walk around the ports on their own and end up drinking too much tequila.

I'm actually trying to plan excursions in advance, so the Freestyle Daily wont help. Also, I'm not, at this point, worried about getting back to the ship on time. It's more that I'm not sure we'll be off the ship in time to get to the excursion, which is at a set time.

I have never been on an NCL cruise ship that didn't not change to local time, including stops in Cabo.

I've been on more than one NCL cruise that didn't change to local time, including New England/Canada cruises and Western Caribbean cruises. On Western Caribbean cruises in particular there have been issues on certain itineraries at some times of the year where some ports of call are on Daylight Savings Time and some are on Standard Time, some in one time zone, some in another. Using local time in every port would have meant a ping-ponging of time changes for several days in a row...forward and back...forward and back, so for simplicity the ship's time was not changed.

It's an itinerary-and-time-of-year-specific problem.

It's an itinerary-and-time-of-year-specific problem.

So, Mexican Riviera in January with stops in Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta ... will ship time be local time? Anyone with experience? (Roger, your comment on Cabo was a little confusing.)

Edited by theloo

So, Mexican Riviera in January with stops in Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta ... will ship time be local time? Anyone with experience? (Roger, your comment on Cabo was a little confusing.)

I haven't taken a Mexican Riviera cruise so I can't tell you.

So, Mexican Riviera in January with stops in Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta ... will ship time be local time?

NCL ship time will be local time in the Mex Riv. Final answer.

You will receive a friendly reminder via the Freestyle Daily and a card in your stateroom which reminds you of the forthcoming timezone change.

Booking excursions outside of the ship will book at local time. Which will be ship's time upon arrival.

I recognize that sometimes ship's time does not match local time for whatever reason. That is not the case at any port on the NCL Mex Riv itinerary.

Edited by triptolemus

I think it is amazing how when folk get their question answered, they do not accept it. Again, the local tour operator will know what time the ship is on. They will know when you can meet. They do this day in and day out. You do not, which is why you are concerned. Relax, and enjoy your planning! All will be well.