Travel insurance and flight delays/cancellations

swengsters

I am looking at InsureMyTrip website and comparing various travel insurance policies. Flight delays/cancellations is my biggest concern and my reason for getting travel insurance.

Right now, our flight is set to arrive at 12pm and we will board the cruise at 4pm.

HOWEVER, a lot of travel insurances will only reimburse for a trip if the flight is delayed 6 hours or more (some are even 12 hours).

In our case, if it's only delayed 3 hours (say we arrived at 3pm instead of 12pm) and we miss the cruise, are we SOL?

Has anyone filed a claim regarding this before?

Thanks in advance!

I don't know what SOL means, but the reason the insurance company says they only pay out for 6 hours plus is because they think 3 hours isn't leaving yourself enough leeway. So I suspect you'd be out of luck.

It depends. If your late flight causes you to miss the ship departure, then that part of the insurance might kick in once your total delay exceeds the six or five hours, and you fly to the next port. But pay attention to the definitions in that particular policy (any word that is Capitalized tends to have a special definition at the bottom). But there can be a difference in flight delay and missed connection...so read closely. Post the wording here and somebody will translate it for you

Keep in mind you may be required by the insurance to try to catch up to the cruise, as in, you miss the ship because your flight was late and you can't just call it a day and go home. They won't necessarily reimburse you for the missed cruise in that case.

I remember reading a thread on here where the people were having trouble getting reimbursed for a missed cruise this winter when their flight got cancelled for weather. They were told they should have tried to catch up with he cruise later.

You are cutting it close. If there were another option for a better flight, I'm sure you would have considered it by now.

Insurance would likely help you out in some way but not until you missed the cruise and tried to rejoin it somewhere else, causing you a great deal of anxiety, frustration, and missed vacation. It is a chance you take. If you do miss, be sure to call the insurance company for instructions on how to proceed, so that your expenses are covered.

I am looking at InsureMyTrip website and comparing various travel insurance policies. Flight delays/cancellations is my biggest concern and my reason for getting travel insurance.

Right now, our flight is set to arrive at 12pm and we will board the cruise at 4pm.

HOWEVER, a lot of travel insurances will only reimburse for a trip if the flight is delayed 6 hours or more (some are even 12 hours).

In our case, if it's only delayed 3 hours (say we arrived at 3pm instead of 12pm) and we miss the cruise, are we SOL?

Has anyone filed a claim regarding this before?

Thanks in advance!

Do you mean that you board at 4:00 or the ship leaves at 4:00. If it leaves at 4:00, you have to be on board at 2:30. Also, where are you flying from and to and what time of the year.

Regardless, unless there are really important reasons for making those arrangements, you are totally bonkers for keeping the flight reservations.

In direct answer to your question, you need to get on the phone and call InsureMyTrip and other carriers directly instead of asking us on CC.

DON

Insurance is not designed to protect you from booking an itinerary where everything has to happen EXACTLY at the right time to work. A flight arriving at noon for a 4PM sailing (and that's what, a 2:30 or 3:00 boarding cutoff?) is tighter than what most insurance companies are going to want to cover.

I'd change my flight if I were you. The best "insurance" is to fly in the day before and crash in a cheap hotel.