What flowboard do you like best and why?

Since we have started cruising Royal I too have become addicted to Flowboarding on the back of these great ships. I bring my own board now and have a lot of fun meeting people with like interests. For those of you who bring your own boards on to the ship please let us know which one(s) and why you prefer it.

I currently bring a Waveloch 40" shuvit side cut with channels on board as it was the board I became confident with. I could not ride the boards the ship had when I was just learning and just about gave up until I was given the chance to ride another persons board. It is nice and easy to ride and is very predictable but fairly heavy. I now want a light fast board and will likely order a 39" outlaw for our next vacation this winter.

Hopefully a thread like this will help others who would like to purchase a board get a better idea of what others like and help them make a good decision.

I got a 41" Carve with channels two years ago and it really helped me. Then we bought my son a 38" side cut Shuvit with channels this year and it helped both of us get even better. My youngest also has a 35" bodyboard since he's not yet 58" (yes, we are hooked).

I find the boards live up to their names, where the Carve is great if you want to get out there and do big carves and splash everywhere, while the Shuvit is great all around but better for doing tricks. I like riding both boards and if I'm not doing so great on one board I'll switch to the other and usually it will get me back in a groove.

If you are looking for a light board, I see they now have graphite Shuvits on the Flowrider retail site. I don't really like the Outlaws when I try them on the ship, since they are so long. The shorter Shuvit we have is much faster than the Carve, which is basically a wooden version of the Outlaw.

I'm looking at buying a board for my husband so I have some questions.

1) what are the advantages/disadvantages with longer or shorter boards?

2) what do the channels do for performance?

3) What's the advantage of a lighter board?

My husband is about 5'9" and 180lbs - I guess the size of a person makes a difference? He is not an expert and still learning - he can carve (and spray) at the top and bottom, he can start at the top and bottom and he can do a 360. That's about it. Any recommendations for him?

Sorry for all the questions - I just need some help:o

Edited by The Sunset Glow

I started with the 38" Shuvit with channels and still have it. I got it for Father's Day. After 8 months, for my birthday, I got a 39" Carve with channels. I didn't like the carve as much at first, but now I ride it the most. I am sure there are better boards, but I like the Waveloch brand as I know that there is no chance that I will be stopped from riding them on RC. I haven't given them much TLC, as far as revarnishing etc... I figure for the cost after a few years I can replace them.

I have also got to ride other boards, but it is kind of like your own bed. Once you get in it, or on it, nothing else compares and no one can change your opinion.

I'm looking at buying a board for my husband so I have some questions.

1) what are the advantages/disadvantages with longer or shorter boards?

2) what do the channels do for performance?

3) What's the advantage of a lighter board?

My husband is about 5'9" and 180lbs - I guess the size of a person makes a difference? He is not an expert and still learning - he can carve (and spray) at the top and bottom, he can start at the top and bottom and he can do a 360. That's about it. Any recommendations for him?

Sorry for all the questions - I just need some help:o

Shorter is faster and more responsive.

Channels help with the water flow in relation to carving etc.

Lighter is faster, and might take a bit less energy to "throw" around.

I am just over 200lbs and almost the same height as your DH. I started with the carve as I was told it had better stability and was a good intermediate board to transition from a beginner to a much better rider. In all honesty I think almost any board would be better than a ship's board.

I don't think weight really plays much of a difference, it is how you used your weight to your advantage. I think it is the guys with huge feet that hang of the edge of the board, causing water drag, that have greater problems.

I'd have to agree with A&L-Ont that weight won't make much of a difference for most of us Royal Caribbean surfers, unless he's at the point where he's doing serious tricks like kick flips. They changed the design on the Carves since I got mine so they now have side cuts like the Shuvit. Other than that the main difference is the curve of the board. The Shuvit is flatter than the Carve, and more flexible. This can lead to the front of the board getting stuck under the water flow, which won't happen with a Carve.

I also agree that's it's just better to go with a Flowrider/Waveloch brand of board if you mainly are going to use it on RC. I have seen postings that they have relaxed the rules on the brand of boards you can use lately, but the leniency can vary from ship to ship. On Navigator in March they did a full inspection of our boards to make sure they were not beat up too much that they might damage the Flowrider.

Thanks for all the suggestions! So if I get him a carve what length should I get?

I suggest the shorter length of board. It sounds as though he rides well enough to be comfortable with a shorter board and most likely enjoy the more responsive ride.

I am 5-9 as well but fairly light at 135 lbs. I find my shuvit works well for carving and is very stable but it is heavy. When I called waveloch I spoke to Rob and he said I would like the board I purchased and still do. I do agree with the ship boards being too long and usually beat up. They did have a brand new outlaw on our last cruise though and it's short length of 39 inches made it a popular board among the surfers who did not bring a board and could ride fairly well. When I compared it to the board I have now it seemed like it was only 38 inches long but from what waveloch has advertised they do not make one that size. The other guys that I have cruised with had normal 40" shuvit as a popular board. It is interesting to ask the sports staff their preferences too as a lot of them are really good. All of them have hated my board so far with exception of a few new crew who were not as comfortable surfing yet.

If you decide to go with a wood board you should varnish it as soon as you get it. The varnish they put on at the factory is almost non existent. I did varnish mine but it causes the board to stick when loading and also if there is a dead spot on the wave. It would be nice to know if your husband has tried any other boards before you make an investment in one. He may have a preference already or maybe an idea of what he would like to try. The boards are not cheap when you figure in currency, duty and shipping so in reality whatever you pick will be a really nice gift.:)