Breakaway phone texting

lf046

Does anyone know how to communicate with others on the cruise. I hear that there is an app but do not know details and if there is a cost. We are a group of 8 with kids and would like to be able to give them some liberty. Thank you!

No, that's not correct. You can text and make phone calls to other app users and to any "house phone" on the ship. Anyone can pick up a public phone on any deck and call you on your cell phone. The app provides you with a unique phone number that works only on the ship. In fact, I left that number with the staff at the Splash Academy in case there was an emergency.

I used it a year ago on the Breakaway. Cell phone to cell phone voice calls were hit and miss. House phone to cell phone worked great. It's worth the $7.95, IMHO. Walkie talkies don't work. Unfortunatley, the GEM hasn't been upgraded yet to work with the app. I'm going to miss that for sure!

Ok, I downloaded the app and my son will download it as well, before he gets on the ship! So, can we text each other on our cell phones for this $7.95 one time fee? Must we put our phones in airplane mode? I am just trying to figure out what we can and can't do with this app! I don't want to be charged for anything else except the one time fee! Anyone that has experience using this app, could you please help with the answers? Thank you very much in advance!

Here -

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2209384&highlight=iconcierge

More info about the App -

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2072883&highlight=iconcierge

Specific to the Breakaway/Getaway -

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2212242&highlight=iconcierge

And, if you open the APP now or when you get the chance before sailing, you can preview yourself and get a feel for what it can do, there are context related tips & info on various sub-menu screens inside the APP. Follow the given instructions & the prompts once you are onboard to activate it - others had been able to go to see the internet staff on the ship during their "office" hours for help to check & turn off other unneeded features, some of which will need to be reset & re-enabled at the conclusion of the cruise for it to work on dry land with cellular services and data, settings are sometimes specific to iOS and Android OS.

Happy reading & running your own drills, if you have specific questions to your devices, post your hardware and carrier summary here in case your son & you are still unsure.

Edited by mking8288

The APP was a major plus for our cruise. We made show reservations, dining reservations, you could see the activities on the ship at all times. But the best feature was having the texting/calling, we were on the BA and it is a huge ship. You get a personal phone number, and then any phone on the ship can dial your phone through the app. You can also message other devices that have the app.

Given that it works out to like $1 per day per device, I thought it was a great feature. Remember to put the phone in airplane mode, and turn Wifi on