Drinks Package - Explination for a Brit please?

Bruce62

Hi,

My wife and I are going on the breakaway this August, and have a Haven Owners Suite.

I was looking at the drinks package, as my TA suggested we paid for this in advance here in the UK, but couldn't work out if it was worth while, especially as I have no idea of the cost of drinks onboard. I also believe that we get some drinks incorporated with the suite? I also believe that the advance drinks package bought here in the UK also includes gratuities.

Could somebody let me know the cost of a beer (i.e. Bottle Sam Adams) onboard, and let's say a 'G&T'

Another silly question, I would also have to buy a package for our son (20 yo), but this will only be the soft drinks. However, once in international waters he can have a beer, so how do I go about this?

Many thanks,

Bruce

As far as whether it's worth it, most people who get the package seem to be happy with it, so it would seem that if you're on the fence, you probably wouldn't be disappointed if you got it.

Having said that, the package isn't for everyone, and isn't for me/us. First, on NCL, both parties in the cabin have to buy it, and as my wife doesn't drink much, its a non-starter. Even on previous cruises we've taken and considered where one can purchase the package solo, it hasn't made sense for me. My analysis is pretty simple: will my bill be larger with or without the package? Our last few cruises have been longer and/or port-intensive, and I didn't see myself (nor did the bill play out) drinking $60 per day in alcohol each and every day. YMMV.

I also don't put much value in "fringe" benefits such as drinking "what I want, when I want" or being able to try and discard new drinks since both "perks" are, for me, dependent on me otherwise getting the full value of the package.

As far as prices, it looks like "call" gin (Beefeater) is $6.95 + 18%. Sam Adams is $5.95 + 18%.

As far as getting your son a drink, there may be a parental consent form (not sure about the ages), but he should then be able to get a drink. Others may have more (or more accurate) info on that.

Edited by Cauzneffct

There are no alcoholic packages available for passengers under 21 years of age even if they had a parental consent. So the son would have to pay for every alcoholic beverage as they go.

Also all the drink packages purchased anywhere do include gratuities in the purchase price.

Edited by Demonyte

And don't forget, you get three bottles of alcohol with the Owners Suite. The last time we sailed in the OS, we didn't bother with the UBP because we had enough alcohol for our 7-day cruise.

And don't forget, you get three bottles of alcohol with the Owners Suite. The last time we sailed in the OS, we didn't bother with the UBP because we had enough alcohol for our 7-day cruise.

Now that I didn't know......

Looks like the soda card will do us then, I'll just buy my beer (and son's) as I go.

Looks like the soda card will do us then, I'll just buy my beer (and son's) as I go.

You will receive a card when your arrive at you suite with the list of available alcohol to select from....and they very rarely deviate from that list! With that being said, we had no difficulty choosing three bottles! :eek:

the owner suite also gets all the sodas/bottled water included with the suite. The Butler will keep the mini bar stocked with the cans of soda (Pepsi Product) and you can ask for garnish to make your own drinks.

Once you sign the young adult waiver, your son can buy his own beer and wine. Or at least use his card to charge it to his own account. It sounds like you may be the one paying for it all in the end, though… :p

Once you sign the young adult waiver, your son can buy his own beer and wine. Or at least use his card to charge it to his own account. It sounds like you may be the one paying for it all in the end, though… :p

Ain't that the truth........:)

But at least I have a good excuse whilst in NYC and WDC either side of the cruise. "Sorry son, I would love to buy you a beer, but your too young!"

Hi,

My wife and I are going on the breakaway this August, and have a Haven Owners Suite.

I was looking at the drinks package, as my TA suggested we paid for this in advance here in the UK, but couldn't work out if it was worth while, especially as I have no idea of the cost of drinks onboard. I also believe that we get some drinks incorporated with the suite? I also believe that the advance drinks package bought here in the UK also includes gratuities.

Could somebody let me know the cost of a beer (i.e. Bottle Sam Adams) onboard, and let's say a 'G&T'

Another silly question, I would also have to buy a package for our son (20 yo), but this will only be the soft drinks. However, once in international waters he can have a beer, so how do I go about this?

Many thanks,

Bruce

You're in the haven so should have free ubp and free udp. Whoever you booked with needs to rectify this. If you hooked before the offer, you could lose the deposit to change but it's cheaper than paying for the package. Your son should therefore get the free soda package and wifi. Then for a waiver, if offered on your trip (depends on the waters you're in) you can sign a waiver for him to get wine and beer

the owner suite also gets all the sodas/bottled water included with the suite. The Butler will keep the mini bar stocked with the cans of soda (Pepsi Product) and you can ask for garnish to make your own drinks.

I'm glad you wrote that, I was just about to write that they don't need to buy any drinks at all unless they want to because it's all included in the Owner's Suite. They can also get all the mixers they want for their alcohol including soda, club soda, juices and more. They can order up fresh fruit from the butler for garnish. They can order a vanilla milkshake to turn into an alcoholic drink. I never tried ordering a virgin pina colada to add OS rum to, so don't know if you can go that far or not but it seems like a possibility. Being in the OS is the BEST!

Edited by SuiteTraveler

You're in the haven so should have free ubp and free udp. Whoever you booked with needs to rectify this. If you hooked before the offer, you could lose the deposit to change but it's cheaper than paying for the package. Your son should therefore get the free soda package and wifi. Then for a waiver, if offered on your trip (depends on the waters you're in) you can sign a waiver for him to get wine and beer

OP isn't in the US/Canada, so may have other booking terms to go by than the US/Canada....its' not always so easy for others to make changes to their reservations.

OP isn't in the US/Canada, so may have other booking terms to go by than the US/Canada....its' not always so easy for others to make changes to their reservations.

OP lives in UK, as does Tiggertastic. I feel that it is safe to say that Tiggertastic has the necessary info about UK T&C and the promos available there.

Thanks for all the replies and comments. I will check this out with my TA, but I did book this about 10 months ago, and paid the balance a few weeks ago, so not holding out much hope.

Cheers

If the cruise is in August then I'm pretty sure that you will have passed the deadline for being able to cancel without losing any more than the deposit. Final payment is due 60 days out for a normal cabin, but I think it's 90 days for a suite (it was the one time I booked one).

In addition, I think the deposit for a suite is higher isn't it, so even just losing the deposit can involve a lot of money. My deposit for an OS on the Pearl was almost £1,500