Alcohol Related Questions

sjs1224

Hi all! I just joined Cruise Critic and I have a couple of questions! My dad is taking us kids and our significant others on a family cruise on the Norwegian Breakaway in a couple of months. Unfortunately, it'll be one month before my 21st birthday. My fiancé and I are sharing a room and he will be purchasing the Ultimate Drink Package (he's 23). So, my two questions are..

1. My dad will be signing the form for me to purchase beer and wine. Can I purchase the corks and caps package once he signs the form? Or do I have to pay by the glass? How does this work?

2. How difficult would it be for my fiancé to just buy two drinks at the bar and bring one to me, if I'd like to have a cocktail or two? Do they have a limit on how many drinks you can buy at once? Has anyone does this? It wouldn't be often, maybe just while we are sitting by the pool during the day and I'd like a cocktail.

Thanks in advance for any answers you can give me! No rude comments please.

1) No. Alcohol packages, including Corks and Caps, are not available to passengers under 21.

2) According to the Package terms and the Guest Conduct Policy, your fiancé will not be allowed to bring you drinks (liquor). What you're able to get away with is a different conversation. For example, if he brings back cocktails to enjoy in your stateroom, no one is really going to notice. If you're sitting 20 feet away from the bar in a sun chair and he is bringing you Mai Tais, someone is probably going to question that.

According to the Terms and Conditions you must be 21 or over to purchase any alcohol package.

http://www.ncl.com/terms/corks-and-caps-package

The Terms and Conditions of the UBP state that they package is solely for the person purchasing and will not be shared.

http://www.ncl.com/terms/ultimate-beverage-package

1) No. Alcohol packages, including Corks and Caps, are not available to passengers under 21.

2) According to the Package terms and the Guest Conduct Policy, your fiancé will not be allowed to bring you drinks (liquor). What you're able to get away with is a different conversation. For example, if he brings back cocktails to enjoy in your stateroom, no one is really going to notice. If you're sitting 20 feet away from the bar in a sun chair and he is bringing you Mai Tais, someone is probably going to question that.

Thank you for the answers! My question is just whether someone can even purchase two drinks at once. Of course we would be smart about it and wouldn't do it right in front of employees or something.

According to the Terms and Conditions you must be 21 or over to purchase any alcohol package.

http://www.ncl.com/terms/corks-and-caps-package

The Terms and Conditions of the UBP state that they package is solely for the person purchasing and will not be shared.

http://www.ncl.com/terms/ultimate-beverage-package

Yes, I understand the package is not to be shared. My question is to how difficult it would be for him to buy me one or two cocktails since I can only purchase beer or wine. :)

Typically, the bartenders will limit the drinks a UBP holder can purchase at a time to one drink only.

Notable exceptions to this might be couples who both have the UBP... the bartenders typically allow one person to pick up drinks for the two of them after they've become familiar -- or bring both cards.

If someone with the UBP wants to purchase a drink separate from the UBP at the same time, I don't think that would be a problem.

A great attitude and a few well placed cash tips tend to smooth out many of these types of issues...

Edited by triptolemus

is this a fake thread?

Illegal activity. Is illegal. Very strange post.

I apologize for offending anyone. I figured that this was a somewhat common issue. Thank you for the replies.

Wine & beer you purchase will be charged to your cabin using your key card.

With the beverage packages you are limited to 1 drink at a time.

If you & your BF got a cocktail & a bottle of beer at the same time, nobody will notice who drinks what. Drunken behavior & blatant violations are sure to be noticed & have been known to bring an abrupt end to a cruise. :cool:

I apologize for offending anyone. I figured that this was a somewhat common issue.
Actually, the common issue is people coming on here asking if they can scam free drinks from NCL by using someone else's UBP. I think some responders assume that you are one of those people, hence the hostility, so you should make it very clear to everyone that you want to pay for your cocktails (or for your fiancé to pay for them… :p)

Just know that if your fiancé orders two drinks, but only presents one UBP sticker, the bar server will ask questions about who the drinks are for. They need to know at least which drink is for him, so they know how to ring up the order, but if you are right there, looking as young as you are, they will probably also ask for your card, and they will see that you are only allowed to have wine & beer. So ordering two cocktails could be a problem, and I would not count on being able to sweet talk or tip your way out of it. The bar staff have more to lose than you do by knowingly violating NCL's alcohol policy.

You will be absolutely fine. You fiancé can get his drink and then he can go get you a drink on another run. He might get timed out on the unlimited beverage package for the second trip, but he can just charge that drink on his card. Things will be so busy that bar staff just want a card, any card, for payment. You can drink up when in Bermuda.

Actually, the common issue is people coming on here asking if they can scam free drinks from NCL by using someone else's UBP. I think some responders assume that you are one of those people, hence the hostility, so you should make it very clear to everyone that you want to pay for your cocktails (or for your fiancé to pay for them… :p)

Just know that if your fiancé orders two drinks, but only presents one UBP sticker, the bar server will ask questions about who the drinks are for. They need to know at least which drink is for him, so they know how to ring up the order, but if you are right there, looking as young as you are, they will probably also ask for your card, and they will see that you are only allowed to have wine & beer. So ordering two cocktails could be a problem, and I would not count on being able to sweet talk or tip your way out of it. The bar staff have more to lose than you do by knowingly violating NCL's alcohol policy.

Thank you for the information! Yes, I'm definitely not trying to get free drinks. I would most surely pay for them if they'd let me! I'm just not a beer drinker, and wine isn't really a "day time" drink, so I was wondering about just getting a cocktail or two for when I'm sitting by the pool. I'll probably just have to suck it up and drink beer/wine or not drink at all. Oh well!

Thank you all for the informative replies and again, I am truly sorry for offending anyone. That certainly was not my intention at all.

Maybe you would be able to get something like a mimosa since the only alcohol it contains is sparkling wine? That's a very nice daytime drink! Peach Bellini (Prosecco sparkling wine and peach purée) is another good one! :)

Also, virgin frozen drinks are delicious and make for a tasty poolside drink! I even get one of those at times if I want to pace my alcohol intake but want another drink, and I'm 38 years old lol!

Oh and when you're on land in Bermuda, enjoy some rum swizzles! ;)

Edited by bangzoom6877

Just know that if your fiancé orders two drinks, but only presents one UBP sticker, the bar server will ask questions about who the drinks are for.

That's interesting. I've wondered what would happen if someone who has the UBP wanted to buy a round of drinks. I would think that if only 1 of the, say, 4, is "free," they probably wouldn't care who the other three are for since they aren't being "scammed" for more free drinks. I know on past cruises (albeit not on NCL), I've had zero questions when I've bought more than one drink at a time.

That's interesting. I've wondered what would happen if someone who has the UBP wanted to buy a round of drinks. I would think that if only 1 of the, say, 4, is "free," they probably wouldn't care who the other three are for since they aren't being "scammed" for more free drinks. I know on past cruises (albeit not on NCL), I've had zero questions when I've bought more than one drink at a time.

Remember that people just kinda sorta make stuff up around here when they really don't know the answer.

Educated guesses are fine, but they should be presented as guesses.

I know on past cruises (albeit not on NCL), I've had zero questions when I've bought more than one drink at a time.
Sure, in most cases they don't care. But if NCL takes their alcohol policy seriously (and quite honestly, I have no idea if they do or not), young people ordering drinks should be asked more questions than, well, the rest of us…

I think the poster was referring to the fact that the OP is under 21 so therefore, it is illegal for her to drink hard liquor on the ship.

Illegal or just against policy? They aren't in a U.S. port.