The ever changing tides at Carnival...

I'll stop cruising with Carnival when I stop having fun on Carnival ships. Hasn't happened yet.

If the changes that have been made spoil your fun, then I completely understand. Different people like/want/need different things. There's no right or wrong here, just differing opinions.

Hey Chuck. I agree, when I stop having fun I'll stop cruising Carnival. Well said. I am 5 for 5. No complaints so far. Jeff

I'll stop cruising with Carnival when I stop having fun on Carnival ships. Hasn't happened yet.

If the changes that have been made spoil your fun, then I completely understand. Different people like/want/need different things. There's no right or wrong here, just differing opinions.

We have done a couple of Celebrity cruises and with everything included (drinks/grats/OBC) and a great balcony, it was really nice... the 10 hour drive was not. Most likely the next one will be a 15 minute drive with Carnival but NCL or Celebrity is still looking mighty tempting with the "specials" they are running right now... for next Feb.

I am new to CC and cruising in general. This being said, to seems to me in the last few months as I have been getting acclimated here; there have been lots of CCL changes IMO. Though many changes are somewhat minor to me at this time but not to all here on the CC soap opera "As the Ship Docks." :rolleyes: Ha Ha Ha.

Are some of these changes happening now been in the works for a long time? Or is it just my timing here and everything coming together like a perfect storm? I understand the industry needs to keep evolving but, is the frequency of J.Heald "announcements" and the like normal things to expect from Carnival?

My cruise is 8 months out but have been mentally setting up plans/ lists, not sure how good of an idea this is. I mean I am not going out buying bottled water yet only finding out I can't bring it aboard anymore for example. Or telling my DW about her getting to go to the VIFP party she that has now changed to a drink coupon being that she is gold. These changes are rather minor but I wonder what else is in store before we travel.

I've been cruising with Carnival and other cruise lines since the 1990's. Carnival has made a lot of changes over the years. Most don't bother me but one does. The loss of steel drums on Lido deck disappoints me greatly. But I've never had a bad cruise--on Carnival or any other cruise line. A bad cruise day is still better than a good day at work. And I now have a new pastime of downloading great cruise music to take with me on my Carnival cruise--to block out that DJ stuff that doesn't fit on a cruise ship. Just take it as it comes and learn how to make the best of it. As long as you're on a ship with great service and great food, the rest is gravy. I'm so thankful to be able to enjoy those things.

I totally agree with this statement. The issue is when it's booking time, you're looking at thousands of dollars, and you come on CC to read and ask. Then what. I've been on here for 11 years, uneventfully, and have cruised multiple lines and ships, paying for some number of my five kids and their SO's along the way. You're talking major bucks. When you read repeated posts from coherent past passengers saying things have taken a nose dive and you experience it yourself, then what? I could go right now to the NCL board, Celebrity, etc and see the same sorts of threads. So booking becomes a crap shoot. One thing I can say for sure is that the MDR food on Pride was not good.

The one thing I miss on Carnival cruises is that my sister and her family won't ever be going with us again as my sister passed away 7 years ago. Her kids are grown and on their own. We have fond memories of Carnival cruises - more than with Princess. But what's there not to like? I think the best change was the no smoking on balconies. Will I let it ruin my cruise? NO! Will it ruin the offenders cruise? YES!

Gone is the "class" system? Honey, we're just getting started. We began with access to the spa facilities when booking a spa stateroom on Splendor/Dream class. Have you seen the aft Havana pool area on Vista class ships? This is a page right out of NCL's book.

TRUE THAT!

And the rest of us may be nickeled and dimed to death. I hope not!

All this talk reminds me of a company called "Easy Cruise" (was an European cruise line giving you just the bare basics for a very low price) that is now no more.

So yes the prices have gone down, but I don't think cruising will get to the point where everything is extra including making up the room and food.

I still feel there is no other vacation one can take for the price where you get so much.

I don't really care about most of the changes. What gets me is the negative feeling I get from be told I can't do this and can't have this. I'm paying for the cruise. CCL is not providing a free service. I think they think they are the electric company and can do what they want without recourse. If ppl keep paying, they'll keep on taking from us.

Thanks for all in insight. I have been working double shifts all week. Just getting back to the boards getting some popcorn and reading up on the replies. LOL. :D

Of course the first thing we are looking forward to is being on vacation (and our, oops I mean "my" 8 hour drive, not so much. lol.) and #2 is have fun which I am sure we will. The perks are just an added bonus. Just killing the time asking Q's making statements and collecting information for our ship to set sail in less than a long 240 days away! :)

Thanks to all that gave their ¢.02!

We just got off the Miracle today. Carnival has changed for the bad. Food was awful. Only ate in the dinning room the first day. After that it was burgers and pizza most of the time because we could hardly make the buffet in time, during lunch or dinner. (Short times) When we ate at the buffet, it was bad. Breakfast was ok. Cold toast, not fully stocked. No bacon **** around, now they put the bacon far back so when you grab the claw grabbers its so hot you can not get any bacon. LOL!!!! Happened twice. Room stewards were friendly but the shower was dirty and towards the end you can smell that the toilet was not cleaned. 2 teenage boys with us. Wife found a few pair of socks from the previous cruisers. Bartenders hate Cheers people until you tip extra. (know that from previous cruise and what I have read on here) We made the best of it. Had a really good time, but for the money. Not worth it. Best to pay a little more and move on. Going to take a break from Carnival and try another cruise line.

We just got off the Miracle today. Carnival has changed for the bad. Food was awful. Only ate in the dinning room the first day. After that it was burgers and pizza most of the time because we could hardly make the buffet in time, during lunch or dinner. (Short times) When we ate at the buffet, it was bad. Breakfast was ok. Cold toast, not fully stocked. No bacon **** around, now they put the bacon far back so when you grab the claw grabbers its so hot you can not get any bacon. LOL!!!! Happened twice. Room stewards were friendly but the shower was dirty and towards the end you can smell that the toilet was not cleaned. 2 teenage boys with us. Wife found a few pair of socks from the previous cruisers. Bartenders hate Cheers people until you tip extra. (know that from previous cruise and what I have read on here) We made the best of it. Had a really good time, but for the money. Not worth it. Best to pay a little more and move on. Going to take a break from Carnival and try another cruise line.

Wise choice for you to branch out and sail another line. Hopefully the availability of bacon is more accessible elsewhere.

WOW! Is is possible the bacon was supposed to be served by someone? In the past they had a "bacon guy" that would give you 2-3 pieces... it was always limp and I just got used to the fact that I would eat something else. Another minor thing but they do add up.

So sorry to hear about the food BUT to have a "friendly" cabin steward but dirty shower is unacceptable... the toilet may not have been his fault. The system has a way of causing a smell that can happen in any place on the ship, not saying it not bad, just saying it could have been that. I think that would have merited a call or walk down to the pursers office.

Go try something else and see if the price difference is worth it!

Just got off Ecstasy on Friday. We are gold members and disappointed with some of the changes. I even had to ask for free bottles of water after 2nd day when they hD not appeared. I never did get my ship pin! But they really did downgrade the programs for diamond and platinum by selling FTTF which gives the person willing to pAy more the privileges others have earned over time.

They sell no more than 15 to 20 cabins of FTTF, depending upon how many Platinum and Diamonds are on that ship. That being said, when it comes to priority for anything, FTTF are lined up behind Platinum and Diamonds. How does that come anywhere near a "downgrade" of the programs for Diamonds and Platinum passengers.

They sell no more than 15 to 20 cabins of FTTF, depending upon how many Platinum and Diamonds are on that ship. That being said, when it comes to priority for anything, FTTF are lined up behind Platinum and Diamonds. How does that come anywhere near a "downgrade" of the programs for Diamonds and Platinum passengers.

They sold 45 staterooms of FTTF on the Shnshine Transatlantic, mostly comprised of Platinum and Diamond members. It is not based on how many Platinum and Diamond passengers are onboard, regardless of what Cutback Cruise Line (cheers, DD) tells you.

Many ports do not follow the instructions and mix FTTF with Platinum and Diamond passengers. You need to stop believing what you are told.

It may not be a downgrade, but it certainly puts a price on your loyalty (as little as $10) and devalues your cruise experience.

Edited by Gryffindor55

Sorry your experience wasn't that great. Thankfully for Carnival they'll continue to fill ships because of people like me. My experiences get better and better every time. Looking forward to cruise #13 later this year.

I am new to CC and cruising in general. This being said, to seems to me in the last few months as I have been getting acclimated here; there have been lots of CCL changes IMO. Though many changes are somewhat minor to me at this time but not to all here on the CC soap opera "As the Ship Docks." :rolleyes: Ha Ha Ha.

Are some of these changes happening now been in the works for a long time? Or is it just my timing here and everything coming together like a perfect storm? I understand the industry needs to keep evolving but, is the frequency of J.Heald "announcements" and the like normal things to expect from Carnival?

My cruise is 8 months out but have been mentally setting up plans/ lists, not sure how good of an idea this is. I mean I am not going out buying bottled water yet only finding out I can't bring it aboard anymore for example. Or telling my DW about her getting to go to the VIFP party she that has now changed to a drink coupon being that she is gold. These changes are rather minor but I wonder what else is in store before we travel.

I've been cruising CCL for awhile (21 cruises since 1999), and I've seen many changes over the years. Some have been for the better, but sadly many more have been for the worse. Since we lost Uncle Bob, most of the negative changes have related to unrelenting cost cutting maneuvers and the reduction of past guest perks.

Of course some will say that the product is still the same as it used to be, but I feel like things have been watered down. It's the same model the airlines use. The experience included in the base price can't be too good or else no one will pay for the premium stuff.

I've mostly switched over to RCI because of their better past-guest perks. But I'd still do my party cruises with CCL if they'd just drop their 15 drink daily cap on the beverage program. That's another example of cost cutting (or should I say profit protection?) that causes me to stay away. I'd like to come back, the Fantasy Class ships are tied with Royal's Radiance Class as my all time favorites.