Sequence dancing

bellemere

Do they teach sequence dances on the Queen Mary 2?

Thanks.

As far as I am aware, the only lessons offered (other than private lessons) are those offered at noonish in the Queens Room by the dance duo. They take a different dance each day and run through a few basic steps to a crowd of willing participants. Most have trouble sorting the right foot from the left but all seem to have great fun doing it. The Gentlemen Hosts assist with the solo ladies.

Sequence dancing is not taught on the Cunard ships. It is a British thing. The ship's dance professionals are not British and do not know the sequence dances.

There are a few sessions of sequence dancing, but it is clearly stated that this is NOT a lesson.

I have managed to learn a few dances by dancing along with the Dance Hosts - but when I danced them later with my dance teacher, there was a huge difference in style and finesse. :D

We have enjoyed watching dancers performing the various sequence dances many times in the Queens Room on both the QM2 and QE. It looks to be great fun and it is a shame that it is not generally taught in the USA. The same can be said for the Quickstep. However, we were able to learn the basic steps from a DVD before our last QM2 TA and it is nice to be able to do some different ballroom dances than the ones we normally do at home.

Bob

Sorry, never heard of Sequence Dancing.

Must be something old style.

Use to the regular dances seen and experienced on the Cunard ships.

Check out your daily programme ! usually every other evening at 7.45pm ( on Cunard)

Then again, of course you wouldn't have heard of it ..... you're American ;)

Sorry, never heard of Sequence Dancing.

Must be something old style. ......

Yes, Bell Boy is right. Sequence Dancing in various forms has been popular in the UK for well over 100 years. And it is still very popular today. In fact more people dance sequence in the UK than they do ballroom and latin.

We are ballroom dancers but as most social dances in the UK include both sequence and ballroom dancing it behoves ballroom dancers to learn many of the popular sequence dances. Otherwise you find yourself just watching for maybe half of the night. And all experienced dancers know that this is not a good idea! So full marks to Cunard for catering for the Brits!

Kudos to the Brits...

But a cruise ship, oceanliner or dance hall should offer dances that everyone feels comfortable.

If this is a major change to offer European style dances during Ball Room time,

then others will be sideline observers and not participate.

Sounds like classes or lessons are not offered which may encourage participation.

I have seen sequence dancing vary between sailings, from very popular to none at all.

As Foxy says there are various forms, but there are several sequences that are very common, considered to be the standard basics. If you go to one of the sessions and ask you may well find some very knowlegable people, or even teachers, who are willing to show you.

Sequence dancers are very picky about music. I was on one sailing, the Social Hostess knew so little, she scheduled the Orchestra for music. By the time I heard about it and went running over to watch the fireworks, everyone had already stomped out in disgust. So you will rarely see anyone trying sequence dancing on QM2 except in special sessions.

The Social Hostess is usually the person who would handle scheduling, see her once you're on board to find out what's planned.

Edited by Dancer Bob

Kudos to the Brits...

But a cruise ship, oceanliner or dance hall should offer dances that everyone feels comfortable.

If this is a major change to offer European style dances during Ball Room time,

then others will be sideline observers and not participate.

Sounds like classes or lessons are not offered which may encourage participation.

Well that's exactly what Cunard Line are doing. They are offering all their guests the option to enjoy whatever dancing skills they feel 'comfortable' with.

The daily programme offers the following, at least once or twice per seven day cruise/voyage. e.g. Line dancing, Ballroom,Latin, Party night dancing, Sequence. and not forgetting an afternoon Tea Dance.

Sequence dancing is more often than not an activity that has to be requested through the social hostess, providing there are a number of other guests who are interested. 45 minutes ( 7.45-8.30) during pre dinner cocktails will hardly push anyone to the sidelines.

:)

..........Sequence dancers are very picky about music. I was on one sailing, the Social Hostess knew so little, she scheduled the Orchestra for music. By the time I heard about it and went running over to watch the fireworks, everyone had already stomped out in disgust. So you will rarely see anyone trying sequence dancing on QM2 except in special sessions...........

The reason that sequence dancers are 'picky about music' is that the music must be strict tempo. Not only that, all sequence dances need a 4 bar introduction so that everyone starts at the same time. Thereafter the dance is repeated in 16 bar sections. Unlike P & O, which caters mostly for British dancers, the Cunard orchestras and bands are not generally acquainted with these requirements, hence the confusion on the floor to which you refer.

In my experience, Cunard have been using proper recorded CDs for their sequence sessions and this is by far the best way. Incidentally, for obvious reasons, sequence and ballroom are very rarely danced together on the same floor.

Edited by Slow Foxtrot

As usual, I find myself completely agreeing with Foxy, except my last time on QM2, what they put on for general dancing during band breaks was really just elevator music. QE and QV did have strict tempo music and remain my favourite ships in the higher price point range, but I worry Cunard's policy could change overnight.

Any rational definition of dancing I have seen involves some sort of “movement in time with music”, if you aren't in time with music, you're not dancing, Oxford English Dictionary says so. I leave arguments about the “right” figures to the experts, but almost all the sequence dancers I have seen on Cunard are models of style and grace. When I was on P&O Oriana, the music was far, far superior to Cunard and there was an IDTA-qualified dance teacher in charge, obviously far superior. But I was not at all impressed by the calibre of dancing.

Edited by Dancer Bob

We have sailed on many Cunard ships. We are American trained ballroom dancers and came upon the sequence dancing by accident on one of these trips. Since then we have come to understand what it is and are fascinated by it.

It is not taught here in the states, but we would be interested in learning the basic patterns before our next cruise on Cunard in October.

How would we discover the basic set of sequence dances so we can master them before this cruise?

The patterns seem to be short and comprised of fairly standard steps for the most part. I like the idea of all couple doing the same steps at the same time, it greatly reduces the challenges of floor crafting I assume.

We have sailed on many Cunard ships. We are American trained ballroom dancers and came upon the sequence dancing by accident on one of these trips. Since then we have come to understand what it is and are fascinated by it.

It is not taught here in the states, but we would be interested in learning the basic patterns before our next cruise on Cunard in October.

How would we discover the basic set of sequence dances so we can master them before this cruise?

The patterns seem to be short and comprised of fairly standard steps for the most part. I like the idea of all couple doing the same steps at the same time, it greatly reduces the challenges of floor crafting I assume.

Well, LTT, there are not many good demonstrations of proper sequence dancing on the internet but there is a couple called Shannah and Phil who do a reasonable demo of all the popular sequence dances. If you go on to Google and print the words (say) " Mayfair Quickstep demo Shannah and Phil" you will find they will oblige. Then try the same heading with "Saunter Together demo Shannah and Phil". And so on and so forth for the dances you wish to learn. Fact is that if you learn about a dozen of these popular dances they will be more than enough to keep you going !!!!!

Try the link at the top as an example and you will soon be in business. Note that they do a quick version and a much slower version. Hope you will be able join in for at least some of them on your October cruise. And well done for trying.

Of course there are some wonderful ballroom dancing demos and tuition on Youtube and they are all free, and very often by top professional and even World Champions. The days of buying expensive videos are now a thing of the past provided you have a reasonable grounding in ballroom dancing fundamentals.

Edited by Slow Foxtrot

Slow Foxtrot has given you a great answer to that. Now the question is, which dances to learn? I started a thread asking this question, so you can find some suggestions here: http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2222015#

Just for your interest, I had a private dance lesson today and asked to learn the Cindy Swing. It's the easiest I've found. We walked through it twice and then put on the music and danced the track once before going on to revise the Balmoral Blues. Of course, now that I'm home I've forgotten it! However, I know I'll pick it up again as soon as we start dancing.

Well, LTT, there are not many good demonstrations of proper sequence dancing on the internet but there is a couple called Shannah and Phil who do a reasonable demo of all the popular sequence dances. If you go on to Google and print the words (say) " Mayfair Quickstep demo Shannah and Phil" you will find they will oblige. Then try the same heading with "Saunter Together demo Shannah and Phil". And so on and so forth for the dances you wish to learn. Fact is that if you learn about a dozen of these popular dances they will be more than enough to keep you going !!!!!

Try the link at the top as an example and you will soon be in business. Note that they do a quick version and a much slower version. Hope you will be able join in for at least some of them on your October cruise. And well done for trying.

Of course there are some wonderful ballroom dancing demos and tuition on Youtube and they are all free, and very often by top professional and even World Champions. The days of buying expensive videos are now a thing of the past provided you have a reasonable grounding in ballroom dancing fundamentals.

Thank you Slow Foxtrot, exactly what I was looking for. Very helpful.

Slow Foxtrot has given you a great answer to that. Now the question is, which dances to learn? I started a thread asking this question, so you can find some suggestions here: http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2222015#

Just for your interest, I had a private dance lesson today and asked to learn the Cindy Swing. It's the easiest I've found. We walked through it twice and then put on the music and danced the track once before going on to revise the Balmoral Blues. Of course, now that I'm home I've forgotten it! However, I know I'll pick it up again as soon as we start dancing.

And thank you as well Fantasy51. It turn out we did have a lesson here from one of our European Dance couples on a Quickstep Sequence dance, except they modified it to have the couples change partners after each full set of steps. We enjoyed it, though they have not repeated it nor used it at any of the events they sponsor.

Ah yes ! Long Time TVlr, Occasionally onboard Cunard (and at home) we'll modify the Mayfair Quickstep or the Cindy Swing by changing/moving onto the next partner. I think they call it the 'progressive' mayfair quickstep' etc. It's good fun. However, if the dance floor has many couples the music doesn't finish until one has reached back to their original partner. :D

Question: is Yacht Club/Hemispheres large enough for sequence, if there's only 2 or 3 couples, or does it have to be QR? I personally have even less interest in sequence than I do in American-style line dancing. If there's a critical mass, say 15 or 20 couples I have no complaint, but when its only 2 or 3 demanding the floor to themselves- ballroom dancers pay at least lip service to floorcraft- then it's a problem. I might add I think the Caribbean bands are much under-appreciated, if they're given some help and encouragement they can do quite well.

Bob, on every cruise I've been on, the sequence dancing is very well attended. I resented it at first, as I wanted ballroom, but I soon came to see that with so many people wanting sequence, they deserved the few sessions that they had.

Of course, most of my cruises are out of Southampton, and there are many British dancers on board. It may be different on my next cruise in the Mediterranean on QV. There may be more Americans.

• 2 weeks later...

I've often seen an initial burst of enthusiasm dwindle to 2 or 3 couples, not enough to justify a special session in the QR. Sometimes the DJ's in YC/H have been very cooperative, is it viable to suggest those venues or are the floors just too small, even for 1 or 2 couples?

Edited by Dancer Bob

I've often seen an initial burst of enthusiasm dwindle to 2 or 3 couples, not enough to justify a special session in the QR. Sometimes the DJ's in YC/H have been very cooperative, is it viable to suggest those venues or are the floors just too small, even for 1 or 2 couples?

It would be very difficult to do the set steps while continually going around that tiny floor. You learn the steps in a straight line. You manage around the corners through experience. However, a floor that is all curves would be a challenge.

(Queen Mary 2 175 Transatlantic) We had Sequence dancing at 7.45 -8.30pm in the Ball Room the other evening (Tuesday 7th July) it was very well attended and included 'Social Host Tommi' who joined in and knew all 11 dances. Expecting another session tomorrow evening. :)

By the way ! the QM is looking good and I believe all guests are enjoying every minute of the trip. Lots of 175 celebrations and one or two nice gifts on the turn down service each evening . Just leaving Halifax to a 21 gun salute !

I've no complaints ;)

(Queen Mary 2 175 Transatlantic) We had Sequence dancing at 7.45 -8.30pm in the Ball Room the other evening (Tuesday 7th July) it was very well attended and included 'Social Host Tommi' who joined in and knew all 11 dances. Expecting another session tomorrow evening. :) .......

Last year on a sector of Queen Victoria's World Cruise there were several special Sequence Dances in the Queens Ballroom which were well attended.

The floor was big enough to cater for this and there were many spectators trying to figure things out!

In six month's time we will be off again on another sector of Queen Victoria's World Cruise and, although our interest is ballroom dancing, we will be joining in with whatever sequence dances come up.

Nice to see Cunard catering for different dancing interests.