New dining up charge press release

tvguy72

More importantly, like I alluded to a while back. Many new changes are on the way.

The biggest part of this release is the small up charge for most a La cart dining options.

Very, very fair.

I purchased the Dining Package a few weeks ago for my three teen kids and myself for our Escape cruise for this coming November, prior to the change. At the time, I only had the option of buying it for all seven days. I haven't had a chance to call NCL yet, but does anyone know if I can scale that back now to three or four days? Not sure if I will change, but would like to know if I had the option.

I purchased the Dining Package a few weeks ago for my three teen kids and myself for our Escape cruise for this coming November, prior to the change. At the time, I only had the option of buying it for all seven days. I haven't had a chance to call NCL yet, but does anyone know if I can scale that back now to three or four days? Not sure if I will change, but would like to know if I had the option.

Call and try, then report back.

I'm still just a little unclear about one part... If I buy for 3 days, it works out to be $23.21 per person, per day. Regarding the following "upcharges", it's my understanding that these dinners would count as one of my 3 meals. So, if I went to John Hughes Dinner Show on Escape, I'd be paying the $15 upcharge on top of the $23.21, so it would cost me $38.21. Is this how others interpret this? Or for those ships with sushi, you'd pay the $7 on top of the $23.21, so you'd have all-u-can-eat sushi for $30.21 pp, as opposed to ordering a la carte?

- Ocean Blue (Norwegian Getaway/ Norwegian Breakaway) - $15

- Cirque Dreams (Norwegian Breakaway/Norwegian Epic)- $10 general seats/$15 premium seats/$35 VIP seating on Norwegian Breakaway

- The Illusionarium - $10 general seats/$15 premium seats

- For the Record: Dear John Hughes (Norwegian Escape)- $15

- Bayamo (Norwegian Escape)- $10

- Pincho Tapas Bar (Norwegian Escape)- $7

- The Raw Bar (Norwegian Getaway/ Norwegian Breakaway) - $7

- Sushi Bar (fleetwide)-$7

Edited by LrgPizza

You'll probably have to cancel & re-purchase. I'd do the cancellation first & then purchase under the new program. Trying to adjust your 7 day package, even if they allow it, leaves more room for error.

I wish this was starting in July. I know we'll be doing specialty restaurants a few times but 7 is too many for us on a 7 day cruise.

I'm still just a little unclear about one part... If I buy for 3 days, it works out to be $23.21 per person, per day. Regarding the following "upcharges", it's my understanding that these dinners would count as one of my 3 meals. So, if I went to John Hughes Dinner Show on Escape, I'd be paying the $15 upcharge on top of the $23.21, so it would cost me $38.21. Is this how others interpret this?

That has been my understanding, but today I'm not so sure. The release says, "Norwegian guests who have purchased a Specialty Dining Package additionally have the flexibility to indulge in their heart's desire in select à la carte priced restaurants and entertainment-based restaurants for a small upcharge*** including..." and with that wording, this sounds a lot more to me like this is an additional benefit of purchasing any dining package.

I'm waiting on a reply from my NCL DM. I asked the following:

In the a la carte venues such as bayamo, sushi, raw bar etc. Is there a monetary cap on ordering with the UDP up charge?

We all have to be careful with the acronyms

The old plan was UDP the new one is SDP

Unless you are asking about the 20-25% off under UDP

That has been my understanding, but today I'm not so sure. The release says, "Norwegian guests who have purchased a Specialty Dining Package additionally have the flexibility to indulge in their heart's desire in select à la carte priced restaurants and entertainment-based restaurants for a small upcharge*** including..." and with that wording, this sounds a lot more to me like this is an additional benefit of purchasing any dining package.

That's my interpretation as well. The a la carte restaurants are discounted to anyone who purchased a package but not included as one of your dining choices.

I can't see that happening. I'm doing a 21 day cruise next year. I would be shocked if they let me buy 3 days and I could just pay $7 for unlimited sushi for the other 18 days.

You'll probably have to cancel & re-purchase. I'd do the cancellation first & then purchase under the new program. Trying to adjust your 7 day package, even if they allow it, leaves more room for error.

I wish this was starting in July. I know we'll be doing specialty restaurants a few times but 7 is too many for us on a 7 day cruise.

I just got off with NCL...since the new policy went into effect on June 11th, they would be able to just credit me back the difference of days onto my cc if I chose to reduce the amount of days. Not sure yet what change we ultimately will make, but I have up to the day before sailing to make a change if we decided to do so. With all of the new options on the Escape, we may elect to just keep it...we'll see. It is nice to have the option though.

I'm still just a little unclear about one part... If I buy for 3 days, it works out to be $23.21 per person, per day. Regarding the following "upcharges", it's my understanding that these dinners would count as one of my 3 meals. So, if I went to John Hughes Dinner Show on Escape, I'd be paying the $15 upcharge on top of the $23.21, so it would cost me $38.21. Is this how others interpret this? Or for those ships with sushi, you'd pay the $7 on top of the $23.21, so you'd have all-u-can-eat sushi for $30.21 pp, as opposed to ordering a la carte?

- Ocean Blue (Norwegian Getaway/ Norwegian Breakaway) - $15

- Cirque Dreams (Norwegian Breakaway/Norwegian Epic)- $10 general seats/$15 premium seats/$35 VIP seating on Norwegian Breakaway

- The Illusionarium - $10 general seats/$15 premium seats

- For the Record: Dear John Hughes (Norwegian Escape)- $15

- Bayamo (Norwegian Escape)- $10

- Pincho Tapas Bar (Norwegian Escape)- $7

- The Raw Bar (Norwegian Getaway/ Norwegian Breakaway) - $7

- Sushi Bar (fleetwide)-$7

I e-mailed NCL a few days ago and a rep contacted me. You are correct, each sitting "counts" against you. Sushi and tapas are AYCE in one sitting.

Overall it looks like a good deal except for sushi, I normally only eat $20-25 worth here in Kansas were the prices of sushi are higher than on the ship. So I'll have to do some math on which package I will actually get and maybe charge the sushi separately.

This is definitely more attractive for our upcoming cruise. But is it a certain number of days consecutively or throughout the cruise? So if I buy a 5 day package for a 14 day cruise, can I use it any 5 days throughout the 2 weeks or only 5 days in a row? Probably a dumb question but it's not addressed anywhere.

I have the same question as above, do you have to use the package on consecutive days? This really only makes sense if you plan on going to 3 or more specialty restaurants. Am I correct in that the 18% gratuity is also billed separately?

Thanks!

This is definitely more attractive for our upcoming cruise. But is it a certain number of days consecutively or throughout the cruise? So if I buy a 5 day package for a 14 day cruise, can I use it any 5 days throughout the 2 weeks or only 5 days in a row? Probably a dumb question but it's not addressed anywhere.

If you booked a true 14 day cruise, then I would think you could use your 5 days anytime during the 14 days. If you had booked two 7 day cruises back to back, then you would have to either buy a package for each week or just for one of the 7day cruises and use it within that 7 days.

I have the same question as above, do you have to use the package on consecutive days? This really only makes sense if you plan on going to 3 or more specialty restaurants. Am I correct in that the 18% gratuity is also billed separately?

Thanks!

When I looked online for the price of 8 days, it was $152.20 and said it included the gratuity. So the pre-gratuity price must be $129. $129+18%=$152.20.