Solo

I am planning very first solo trip and will cruise. My question is do I go through a travel agency or book myself?

I'm not sure what one has to do with the other but if your needs are pretty simple no reason why you can't just do your own booking online at NCL.com. Very simple to book your own cruise.

If you haven't cruised on NCL before just make sure you read through the Frequently Asked Questions so you know about things like the Service Charge, etc. The large NCL ships with the Studio cabins are great for single/solo travelers. I'm sure you will have a good time. Enjoy.

I cruise solo mostly now. I usually go on Carnival and book through my personal vacation planner (with Carnival). When I was researching Getaway for next year, I was going to book myself online, except I had a couple of questions that I could not find the answer to. I called the NCL toll free number, got my questions answered and then booked right then and there with the same rep.

Because I am a creature of habit, I always book cruises directly with the cruise line, either through a regular pvp, or just book on the toll free number. I find it gives you more control over your booking. You can call the cruise line any time with questions.

My first solo cruise was in 2000. I was scared as %^^*. But I ended up having the best time of my life, and have done three more since, with two more booked. Enjoy:)

Good to know, thanks everyone. I admit to being nervous, just want to cover all bases.

Try not to be nervous....enjoy the adventure..(planning and sailing) :D

I've cruised solo once (October on NCL Jade) and have another booked for March on the Epic. Personally, I book directly with the cruise line as I don't like having to go through someone else. How you book doesn't matter whether you're solo or not. I was a little nervous for my first solo cruise simply because it was a new experience for me. Now I'm super excited about my next one! I foresee a long future of solo cruising. :) Go and enjoy yourself! If you don't like being alone, then get involved with your roll call and attend the solo cruisers' get togethers. If you do like the solitude, then nothing to be concerned about.

I am planning very first solo trip and will cruise. My question is do I go through a travel agency or book myself?

I am doing the Gem solo for 10 nights November 23, 2015 with no Solo Supplement. Great deal with some freebies booked with a travel agent this time but have also booked through NCL direct.

I think you get some advantages with a travel agent--particularly is something goes wrong. On a couple of cruises I had problems--need to cancel due to death in the family, missed plane--and the travel agent helped. Also, sometimes there are extra perks they provide (wine in cabin, etc.). They are also knowledgeable about the best hotels, airlines, etc.

The advantage of booking directly (which I have also done) is maintaining control over everything--which I sometimes like--and it is pretty simple and easy.

But for me advantages of a travel agent (a live one, not just an online service) make it my preferable way to make my cruise arrangements.

I am doing the Gem solo for 10 nights November 23, 2015 with no Solo Supplement. Great deal with some freebies booked with a travel agent this time but have also booked through NCL direct.

I check solo deals on a travel site. The only one I see with no extra supplement is Gem, and for more than one sailing. Anyone have an idea why only Gem has no supplement?