CCL needs to step up to the plate....

Did you ever think all of those other lines are running promos to get customers and Carnival doesn't have to? There is no reason to give anything away if you don't have to.

And why do you think Carnival is making so many changes, putting ships here, taking from there? They are having lots of problems because these other lines are taking their customers with all these great promotions. Time will tell, we'll see.

See I agree with this to a point. We did go ahead and book NCL with the dining plan because we never do the buffet for dinner at all, breakfast now and then, so it would be of value to us. Our minisuite on NCL was about the same as our spa balcony on Breeze, so the cost was comperable, minus the spa. Which is a cost hit.

I will miss tea time and brunch, those are lost on NCL.

This is my point exactly. If you paid for the extra dining and drinks on CCL....it would come to the same price as NCL. People aren't getting anything for free....just think they are, thanks to marketing.

And why do you think Carnival is making so many changes, putting ships here, taking from there? They are having lots of problems because these other lines are taking their customers with all these great promotions. Time will tell, we'll see.

I disagree because if that was happening, Carnival would come out with a flurry of promos as well.

Edited by Out to sea!

Yes I have noticed on all my Carnival Cruises over the last two years that the ships are all sailing less than half full, and nobody there really wants to be there. (Sarc button off). Show me your statistics that Carnival is "having lots of problems because these other lines are taking their customers with all these great promotions". Come on, show me the statistics, not just your assumptions. Because I don't buy into assumption because of what they do to you and me, but especially to you.

If you live in a port city, you know why they are moving ships around. Local people get tired of the same ships year after year.

Yes I have noticed on all my Carnival Cruises over the last two years that the ships are all sailing less than half full, and nobody there really wants to be there. (Sarc button off). Show me your statistics that Carnival is "having lots of problems because these other lines are taking their customers with all these great promotions". Come on, show me the statistics, not just your assumptions. Because I don't buy into assumption because of what they do to you and me, but especially to you.

I don't have statistics, I just feel Carnival is no longer the cruising giant it once was. I don't feel the same sense of enjoyment on their ships as I once did, the crowd has changed, they don't seem to have as much entertainment as the other ships I have sailed recently. Their food, which was excellent once, can't compare with Celebrity or NCL. The shows on these other shops are outstanding, Broadway variety, the shows I've seen on Carnival lately are mediocre at best. Like I said not sure I can pin point it and I'm going on one in August so I will see, but it will be hard to compare to the new NCL ships or the mega RCCL ships, or even the recent Celebrity sailings. After 19 cruises on Carnival one would think I shouldn't feel that way, but after an almost 3 year hiatus from cruising to take care of elderly parents, I started cruising after their passing a and I was eager to cruise.... Any line, and discovered a big big difference from the Carnival of a few years back. But no, I'm not a mathematician with statistics.

Constant changes to what customers can count on or expect is a problem unless your are giving more to the customers in changes. That can't be said for CCL with their latest changes. They should make changes as a group of changes or plans and be less often. Lately their changes look careless and desperate. I agree with take the best cruise deal from whomever has the itinerary you are looking for.

Although I'm 7 or 8 cruises short of becoming Diamond on CCL, I am not completely loyal to one particular line. I love to cruise, period and whoever gets me on a ship with the best deal possible, gets my money. Having said that, and probably opening a can of worms on a CCL forum, I'm not really getting Carnival's lack of promotions or competition with the other main lines. They are changing policies left and right, some good, some benefit the cruisers, most benefit the cruise line and I get they are a business and need to make profits like any other business. So they're making it tougher for people to smuggle booze, and I get that, while you can book a Concierge Class Balcony on a Celebrity ship and get drink package, free tips and OBC, or a regular OV or Balcony cabin and pick one of those, and NCL gets you free drinks, free dining, internet and OBC for a suite, or one of those for a regular balcony. Why would I bother sailing with CCL where I have to pay the $50 pp/pd for the drink package, while those other, just as good, or sometimes better cruise lines are giving them to me for free. The cabin rates are all fairly equal in cost, so it's not that I am paying higher rates for cabins in those other lines than I would on CCL. Don't get it. They are switching ships here and there which really make no sense at all. Moving the Breeze from Miami to make way for the Vista, but then they're bringing the Sensation to Miami, essentially having two older ships (Ecstasy and Sensation) in one of the most important ports in the country. Not getting this new management or marketing techniques.... at all. I really want to get to my Diamond status, but I just don't see why they deserve my hard earned money when I am getting so much more offered by other lines.

I feel the same way!!!

I don't have statistics, I just feel Carnival is no longer the cruising giant it once was. I don't feel the same sense of enjoyment on their ships as I once did, the crowd has changed, they don't seem to have as much entertainment as the other ships I have sailed recently. Their food, which was excellent once, can't compare with Celebrity or NCL. The shows on these other shops are outstanding, Broadway variety, the shows I've seen on Carnival lately are mediocre at best. Like I said not sure I can pin point it and I'm going on one in August so I will see, but it will be hard to compare to the new NCL ships or the mega RCCL ships, or even the recent Celebrity sailings. After 19 cruises on Carnival one would think I shouldn't feel that way, but after an almost 3 year hiatus from cruising to take care of elderly parents, I started cruising after their passing a and I was eager to cruise.... Any line, and discovered a big big difference from the Carnival of a few years back. But no, I'm not a mathematician with statistics.

Another thread on here asks what your ideal Carnival cruise would be; well without going into great detail (my post is there), my ideal cruise would be a combo of my 2007/Valor and my 2009/Liberty for different reasons. Those cruises were only 8 and 6 years ago, (not that long ago), yet today's Carnival cruise is so different. I have one more to do this October, Early Saver, so will just go and get it over with, but I am looking forward to different experiences in the future. Booked NCL with a promo for next year.

When I finally get on a cruise once a year I am burned out, mentally stressed, and ready for a week of uninhibited fun....I don't care too much about nickel and diming-feed me, provide me with some fun and laughs, take me to tropical ports, and treat me like a HUMAN.....

For some of us it is it's about getting away, having too much to drink, getting a sunburn that fades to a tan that last several months, and escaping reality for seven days...

Every line moves ships around. And it makes sense to do so.

The ship I was switched to had sailed for years out of Galveston, and I never would have gotten a chance to sail her if she stayed over there. It would be bad business to keep the same ships in the same home ports year after year.

Once the dust settles, some might book elsewhere, but most will keep their bookings with Carnival.

When I finally get on a cruise once a year I am burned out, mentally stressed, and ready for a week of uninhibited fun....I don't care too much about nickel and diming-feed me, provide me with some fun and laughs, take me to tropical ports, and treat me like a HUMAN.....

For some of us it is it's about getting away, having too much to drink, getting a sunburn that fades to a tan that last several months, and escaping reality for seven days...

I've yet to do a cruise I haven't liked. I just love to be on the ocean! With the exception of those 3 years, we cruise about three a year. Just some are better than others and it was only an observation. Was not intended as a CCL bashing or anything of the sort.

Another thread on here asks what your ideal Carnival cruise would be; well without going into great detail (my post is there), my ideal cruise would be a combo of my 2007/Valor and my 2009/Liberty for different reasons. Those cruises were only 8 and 6 years ago, (not that long ago), yet today's Carnival cruise is so different. I have one more to do this October, Early Saver, so will just go and get it over with, but I am looking forward to different experiences in the future. Booked NCL with a promo for next year.

Looking at a 8/6 b2b on the escape for late July 2016. I thought my ideal cruise was the best though ;) :D

I completely understand what the OP is saying. We just began cruising in 2012 and in 3 years I have done 5 cruise all on Carnival. In those 3 years I have already seen a deterioration in the food quality (American Table I'm talking to you), show styles and the lack of direction it seems when making their schedules.

As the customer who spends thousands of dollars and many hours of planning on a yearly family vacation I would be livid with the change that downgraded me from a newer Dream-class ship (the only class I would sail on after 2 unfortunate Fantasy ships). We have Vista booked next summer for Europe and can't change those plans. With today's unfortunate announcement (even though it doesn't affect us) my mom and I have been talking about trying another cruise line for 2017. I will even venture further to say that I would like to go back to land-based vacations where changes of this magnitude will not happen.

Carnival may be the cheapest out there usually but sometimes it's not just about the money. There is principal and integrity and when deciding who I spend my money with I do consider those things.

Excellent points! I religiously keep two balcony cruises booked at all times and take 3-4 cruises a year. Recently CCL canceled my cruise and left me with a full refund because they didn't have a replacement itinerary. The refund was fine and well. However, the airline penalties were a bit much to stomach.

Another concern I have is with the weekly changes (cutbacks, drop in quality). If the last few weeks are any indication of the future. I might book a cruise for December and be looking at many policy changes that negativity impact me on that cruise. I doubt I'll book another CCL cruise until the storm dies down.

My ultimate fear is that the new CEO is more concerned about the shareholders than the consumers. That is deciding factor on whether I keep booking cruises or purchase a vacation home or condo. The cost would be roughly the same.

....while you can book a Concierge Class Balcony on a Celebrity ship and get drink package, free tips and OBC, or a regular OV or Balcony cabin and pick one of those, and NCL gets you free drinks, free dining, internet and OBC for a suite, or one of those for a regular balcony. Why would I bother sailing with CCL where I have to pay the $50 pp/pd for the drink package, while those other, just as good, or sometimes better cruise lines are giving them to me for free. The cabin rates are all fairly equal in cost, so it's not that I am paying higher rates for cabins in those other lines than I would on CCL.

Good for you . If you can get Celebrity Concierge Class anywhere near in price to a Carnival balcony - TAKE IT !

Conquest x 3 and Triumph X1 was going to book a b2b on the Breeze for late July of 2016. Not now:(

Why not? The Breeze will be in Galveston after May of 2016. You won't have as far to go. The sail dates are not up yet, but they soon will be. I'm sorry we will miss the great ports in the original repositioning cruise in Nov of 2016, but I've already booked the Breeze for the same dates as the repo cruise...except I don't have to travel to Miami. It's right nearby in Galveston.

After 4 DCL cruises I'm more than happy to be giving CCL a try:

Most recent DCL - 7 night western Caribbean, 2 connecting insides for 4 people total on the Disney Fantasy, (which is an absolutely amazing ship), $7600, not including gratuities or trip insurance. That price includes a 10% discount because I booked on the ship the year before.

June 2016 - 8 day Mediterranean on the Carnival Vista, 2 connecting insides for 4 people, $4800, including gratuities and trip insurance.

The closest price I found on any other Mediterranean was 2 insides on RCCL for about $6200.

8 days on an amazing ship like the Vista for $4800, that's just crazy inexpensive.

Excellent points! I religiously keep two balcony cruises booked at all times and take 3-4 cruises a year. Recently CCL canceled my cruise and left me with a full refund because they didn't have a replacement itinerary. The refund was fine and well. However, the airline penalties were a bit much to stomach.

Why didn't your vacation insurance take care of that?

Promotions aren't to show gratitude. They're a way of getting people to pay more...by letting them think they are getting a bargain.

So let's see, I am paying $829 plus tax for a mid-ship balcony on the 11th deck on my sailing on the NCL Escape in December 2016. I am also getting the promotional Unlimited Beverage Package (a $49 per person, per day value), plus a $150.00 OBC.

But the prices are not comparative according to many of you, and the deal is not a good one, 'cause we're not "getting anything for free!"

OK.

Good for you . If you can get Celebrity Concierge Class anywhere near in price to a Carnival balcony - TAKE IT !

OK, how's this: $999 plus tax for a Concierge Class balcony on the 10th deck, including the unlimited beverage package, including the tips, including a $450.00 OBC.

Does that work for you?

Like I said, Carnival needs to step up to the plate or they will lose many many loyal customers.

Don't know about the rest of you, but I work hard for my money and I'm not about to give it away to a company who gives me nothing while others are giving me all these extras.

THAT was my point!

I love these games of one-upmanship. Reminds me of being in grade school where pride was at stake when anyone challenged your decision making.

Guess somethings are just never outgrown.

Seeing that we don't all have the same tastes or the same vacation requirements its nice that the cruising industry has evolved so that we do have choices when booking....from price, to activities, to ambiance, to destinations and ports. Competition, as has been so aptly demonstrated on this thread, is what keeps the industry afloat.

Whether some people want to believe it or not a cruise vacation isn't always about price (the absolute bottom line) but about what you perceive as what you are getting for the price. There are a few cruise lines I wouldn't touch, again, with a ten foot pole no matter what deals they offered me and there are others I would eat chili for a year to be able to save up enough to cruise on. Its all subjective.

OK, how's this: $999 plus tax for a Concierge Class balcony on the 10th deck, including the unlimited beverage package, including the tips, including a $450.00 OBC.

Does that work for you?

Like I said, Carnival needs to step up to the plate or they will lose many many loyal customers.

Don't know about the rest of you, but I work hard for my money and I'm not about to give it away to a company who gives me nothing while others are giving me all these extras.

THAT was my point!

Congratulations....apparently you are getting exactly what you want for a price you are willing to pay, doesn't mean you are getting something "better" than the next guy. Maybe some people have sailed your cruiseline of choice and have determined that no deal is worth the agony of sailing with them for a week and would rather spend a bit more to get a vacation they can remember fondly. Cruises and cruiselines are never ground beef to ground beef....they are more like a sirloin to a ribeye, about the same price but one, to me, tastes oodles better than the other one.

Does that work for you?

THAT was my point!

If I saw deals like you've quoted I would jump at them, but I've never seen deals like that when I was preparing to book looking at the time frame I was able to cruise. But that being said if CCL is sailing with full ships than they don't have to offer anything extra. They might lose your business but there are many more that can and will take your place. That is neither good nor bad, just the way it is (kind of like NCL, I am very unhappy with the direction the new management is taking the line and it is unlikely that I will be sailing with them any time soon [mostly due to price] but I am sure they won't miss me at all).

Does that work for you?

THAT was my point!

I personally thank you for posting that info. It will get me to browse different options when I don't get a free cruise offer from carnival. I really do want to try another line. It is nice to see that there are options out there.

Man you really need a thick skin on this forum, people just bitch instead of adding useful information.