Sales Tax on Drink Package for Puerto Rico

I have searched for a complete answer to this question, but haven't found it, so hopefully someone can let me know if I understand this correctly. :)

My DH and I are definitely going to splurge on the Premium drink package for our upcoming cruise leaving from San Juan next week. However, I have read that if we purchase the package while in port, we may be charged sales tax. Estimating the tax at 7%, that would be an extra $55+. Since we don't leave Puerto Rico until 8:30, it would be pointless to get the package after sail away since it would only be for a couple of hours.

I'm thinking that a better strategy would be to wait until day 2 and purchase the package that morning. We would save the $55 sales tax and the $116 first day cost. Instead I will bring a bottle of wine (which we weren't planning on doing) and that would be mostly what I would drink. There is no way we can drink $170 worth on embarkation day (although my DH may disagree with me there!).

Do have this correct that it makes sense to wait until day 2? Does anyone know when we can purchase the package that second day? I'm assuming it's not at midnight of the first evening.

I've also read that RCCL will wait until after they sail away to actually charge for the package, so the sales tax is not an issue. We will be using our OBC for a large part this purchase.

Thanks!

No but there is sales taxes on drinks while in port at San Juan.

That's true, there is sales tax on individual drinks when in any US port where there is a state sales tax. However, the OP was asking about packages.

Edited by clarea

That's true, there is sales tax on individual drinks when in any US port where there is a state sales tax. However, the OP was asking about packages.

Yes, I am specifically looking at the drink package tax.

That's great news - If there is no sales tax on the package, then there's really no reason to delay it until the second day.

Yes, I am specifically looking at the drink package tax.

That's great news - If there is no sales tax on the package, then there's really no reason to delay it until the second day.

I guess the only reason would be if you think you would not get your money's worth, being that the first day is a partial day.

We'll planning on getting to the ship early, so it'll feel like a full day (between 11-12). My DH plans on making it as 'full' of a day as possible, especially drink-wise. :)

Ask whoever sells the drinks not to ring it up until out to sea. I found out some servers will do that because a server told me that was what he was going to do, that is why he did not give me a receipt for a drink. And that is what he did.

Edited by Charles4515