Anyone recently get a manicure/pedicure on board your ship?

mobu2015

I rarely get manicures or pedicures but definitely like to do so before a vacation. This time around we have a few family events in the next couple of days and I won't be able to get it done before we leave. I've tried doing a search for this and can only come up with old threads where many said its not worth it.

I don't care about cost because I won't be getting other spa treatments, we don't eat at upcharge restaurants and prefer seeing sights on our own not through ship based excursions. Also not drinking any alcohol this time around so I'm not too interested in the cost or in mid week specials unless the pricing is really crazy.

Just wondering if anyone has recent experience particularly on the breakaway, with manicures and/or pedicures? Was it on par with land based salons or did they cheap out by only doing one coat, was the application terrible, did they use cheap products, or were you pleased with the results?

Thanks!

I rarely get manicures or pedicures but definitely like to do so before a vacation. This time around we have a few family events in the next couple of days and I won't be able to get it done before we leave. I've tried doing a search for this and can only come up with old threads where many said its not worth it.

I don't care about cost because I won't be getting other spa treatments, we don't eat at upcharge restaurants and prefer seeing sights on our own not through ship based excursions. Also not drinking any alcohol this time around so I'm not too interested in the cost or in mid week specials unless the pricing is really crazy.

Just wondering if anyone has recent experience particularly on the breakaway, with manicures and/or pedicures? Was it on par with land based salons or did they cheap out by only doing one coat, was the application terrible, did they use cheap products, or were you pleased with the results?

Thanks!

I was on a 28 day cruise on the Star last year. Mid way I had a manicure and a pedicure. The price was almost triple what I pay at home, however, I was very happy with the job they did and it lasted for the other 14 days of my cruise plus I think about a week afterwards! As a matter of fact, I messed up one nail a few days later and they re-did it for no charge (I did tip though)

Harriet

I had a mani/pedi on my first day once - pre-dinner/post-sail away on the Jewel. The chairs have views of the ocean. The experience was great and they definitely did not cheap out. I sprung for the fire & ice mani/pedi plus shellac which cost me a small fortune. Lasted for weeks though - even had to pay to have the polish removed at my next mani in NYC (probably would not have been charged at my regular place but I had a groupon for a new place). My advice is to get the prices down before you go so you aren't shocked at the end when they present you with the invoice.

I can only speak for the Dawn. They used two coats, good job, but they didn't have a very large selection of colors. No OPI or essie if that's what you're used to. They had a lot of colors that young people go for - the blues, the orange, neon shades. But then again, maybe you ARE a younger person and those are your colors. Mani/pedi is certainly more expensive than most places at home.

Thanks all! I am happy to hear your experiences were all good! Some of the older threads were a bit scary lol.

I am in my early to mid 30s so not super young but I do love fun colors. I was hoping for a pastel this time around anything from pastel pink to mint green so hopefully they have some pastel opaque shades on breakaway!

I had a full set done on the Jewel. The service was great. The experience was excellent. The spa had full views of the ocean and it was a sea day. Very relaxing atmosphere. However, my full set with French tips was well over $100 and I did not get gel or shellac. I normally pay less than $25 for full set with Gel/shellac. If price isn't an issue, I would do it again. But I cannot justify $100 for nails.

I had a full set done on the Jewel. The service was great. The experience was excellent. The spa had full views of the ocean and it was a sea day. Very relaxing atmosphere. However, my full set with French tips was well over $100 and I did not get gel or shellac. I normally pay less than $25 for full set with Gel/shellac. If price isn't an issue, I would do it again. But I cannot justify $100 for nails.

I'm confused. Did you have a French manicure or a full set of artificial nails with French tips?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

hello mobu2015 !!

I don't know how to private message you here ... but you mention that you will check the splash pad area for me when you are back to see if toddlers who's not potty train be allow to be in that area. Please kindly advise.!! thanks

Thanks!

I don't recall the price, but the manicure and pedicure I got were very professionally done... the usual base coat, colour application and top coat (for the toes), and the shellac for the nails. Looked great for a long time.

I had an unfortunate incident on the cab ride on the way to the port that required a pedicure on embarkation day. Price was definitely high, even with the embarkation day discount.

They did a good job repairing my nail and the polish was fine. We were on the Epic and had a nice view out the windows while getting our nails done.

My friend got a pedicure the same time as me and the only annoying thing was the script the workers are required to follow to try to up-sell you things. I started mine a few minutes before hers, so it was amusing to hear my technician say something and then a couple of minutes later, my friend's technician say basically the same thing to her.

As long as you can stomach the price and the up-sell attempts, you should be fine!

I get a manicure with the shellac polish at the start of every cruise. They have consistently done a fantastic job - granted the cost is almost double what I would pay on land, but I never have time pre-cruise. The last time I had it done, the manicurist was so friendly and did such a great job, I filled out a 'vacation hero' card for her. I absolutely think it's worth it!

I had the fire and ice pedi (no mani) done on our 12-nt Med Cruise on the Spirit last year. It felt very good, and lasted beautifully throughout the cruise. I too botched one shortly after leaving, but she fixed it right away, and remembered me throughout the rest of the trip!

The spa services are a little pricey (but that's not unexpected), but every spa service I've ever had done has been worth it!

I just came off the Gem 6/13-6/21 and i spent much of my time in the salon and spa. I had the fire and ice mani/pedi and it was ahhhhmazing! i didnt have time to get it done before the cruise so I opted to pay for it onboard. they ran a special on day 1 for $45 for the mani and $50 for the pedi...everything you get in there they add 18% gratuity...

With all the hand sanitizer and the time spent in the water, my 'no chip' polish was practically falling off. i went back into the salon and they repainted me for free. very nice.

have fun and enjoy!

Hi all I'm the OP on this thread and I just wanted to update here regarding the manicure and pedicure I got onboard the Breakaway last week for anyone who was curious.

I got the regular manicure and pedicure, no shellac or fire and ice etc as I'm pregnant and try to minimize exposure to this kind of stuff. Everyone here was right, they did a fantasic job. The price was much more reasonable than I thought it would be. It was $45 for the manicure and $65 for the pedicure with 18% gratuity additional. They had a good variety of pastels and bright colors to choose from as well as some darker mpodier grays, blues and purples.

It took a little over an hour from start to finish and I was really impressed that she took the time to read the questionnaire the front desk staff had me fill out because she told me she was skipping one cooling lotion they use because I'm pregnant.

The spa and salon on the breakaway are gorgeous. Very soothing and modern decor with a great view of the water. I opted to go on the 2nd day which was a sea day and they only had one appointment at 3pm available. I'm sure there is more availability on port days.

Overall, a fantastic experience on par with any spa/high end salon on land. Will definitely treat myself to something like this next time I'm on a cruise!

• 4 months later...
I had the fire and ice pedi (no mani) done on our 12-nt Med Cruise on the Spirit last year. It felt very good, and lasted beautifully throughout the cruise. I too botched one shortly after leaving, but she fixed it right away, and remembered me throughout the rest of the trip!

The spa services are a little pricey (but that's not unexpected), but every spa service I've ever had done has been worth it!

I probably won't have time to get a pedi before I leave for my cruise. I was wondering if you could explain the difference between a regular pedi and the fire/ice one. The cost is about the same I pay at home so no worries there.

Also, how do you book one for day of embarkation?

Thank you!

Midgi