First NCL cruise next week and getting nervous about dress code

1025cruise

I am embarking next week on my first NCL cruise, and starting to question what I need to pack.

We have UDP, and are scheduled to eat mainly in either Cagneys or Moderno, with one night in La Cucina.

One of the things that got us excited about NCL was not needing to bring formal wear, but it appears that isn't necessarily the case.

Basically, what are we expected to wear? We don't necessary care about a formal picture with the captain, or any other pictures for that matter. We just don't want to look out of place.

For most nights, at Cagneys or Moderno, would a collared button down shirt and a pair of khakis be ok? For that matter, could I just do a collared pullover versus a button down? Will I regret not bringing a jacket? I believe the night we eat at La Cucina is the "dress up or not" night.

Thanks.

I went into Cagney's and nothing but flip flops ugly shorts and a shirt and nothing bad happened lol

I think you would feel totally out of place in a tee shirt at just about any place other than the buffet for dinner. Do yourself and nearby diners a favor and take some collared shirts with you for the evening. Jeans are fine if not ragged looking however.

Not true, there's no problem with shorts and t-shirt anywhere except Le Bistro and one additional designated restaurant.

I agree with Mistizoom. Not just the actual rules but what the passengers do. Almost everyone was in t-shirts at dinner at the more casual of the two MDRs on our cruise. I was surprised by how many. Ditto O'Sheehan's and the Asian place. Don't worry about feeling out of place.

Edited by cadien

This is the last thing to be nervous about while cruising NCL. :)

My husband likes NCL for the freestyle and lack of strict dress rules. On our last cruise we were invited to dinner with the captain and almost declined as he didn't have a jacket but we were very clearly told that it wasn't expected as NCL lives by the freestyle rules. Hubby wore nice jeans with a long sleeve button down shirt and I wore white jeans with a nice sweater. We had a blast and didn't feel out of place. Have a GREAT trip.

If you're a bit nervous, just play it safe with slacks and a button up or polo. I wouldn't wear a t-shirt and jeans to Cagney's, Le Bistro, or any of the more upscale restaurants onboard. But in the buffet, MDR, and a few others you'd probably be fine. However, like people have said on here, just meet in the middle with the slacks and a shirt. You won't be underdressed, and you won't be overdressed either. Have a fun trip :-)