Get off ship in Genoa rent a car and get back on in Livorno

irenez

Hello, we are traveling on Emerald princess. I am thinking about renting a car in Genoa, visiting Cinque Terre, San miniato, San Simignano, Volterra and get back on the ship in Livirno. We have done previous cruises and land travel. We have been to Florence, Tuscuny, Siena, Luca, Pisa. We LOVED Cinque Terre and this seems like a possible overnight visit. Trying to decide if this makes sense. Will it save us travel time (wit to rent a car, get back on ship, wait to renat a car again, etc) and allow us to experience quite night time Cinque Terre before we move on to San Miniato(I am a truffle nut and really want to eat buy some truffle products)? Where should we stay?

Thank you in advance for the advice.

Irene

We love your way of thinking, although we personally prefer long driving vacations rather then doing this on a cruise. Your problem is that you need a short (1-2 day) one-way rental car and that might cost you dearly. Hertz and Europcar might be your best bets but expect to pay at least $150 for just that one day.

Hank

Since you'd be using the car for two full days I'd investigate the consolidators (autoeurope.com and kemwel.com). They require a three-day rental but on two different occasions in Italy it was cheaper for me to rent from them for three days vs. direct from the companies for two days. I simply returned the cars a day early and no one batted an eyelash.

Thank you for the leads on car rentals. What do you think about the stops and places we want to visit? We saw CT a few years go. Which villages should we revisit(cant remem the favorite one). Which one should be last? Can you make a recommendation as to where to stay that one night? to get us over for the Tuscany visit? Should we make the drive at night so we can be there in the morning ready to go? We did a great 10 day land Tuscany drive a couple of years ago, decided to cruise for the kids this year...

We stayed in Vernazza in a room overlooking the main street. It was lovely. Our favorite village is Corniglia and it is the least visited because you have to walk up the hill or take the shuttle van. It was worth it.