Floating Around Norway on a Cloud

drron29

The next stop was a souvenir shop.I walked in then out and like the naughty boy I am walked around the area myself.Down on the river people were sunbaking on the beach watched over by a maritime figure-

DSC03431.JPG.DSC03432.JPG.

DSC03437.JPG.

Next I found an old factory.It is now an alcohol factory!Makes wines from cloudberries,bluberries and herbs.

DSC03442.JPG.DSC03443.JPG.DSC03444.JPG.

A new apartment block being built.I certainly hope they are bigger than 4x6metres.

DSC03441.JPG.

Then over the shipbuilding area-

DSC03448.JPG.DSC03449.JPG.

DSC03450.JPG.

More buildings including an old brewery-

DSC03454.JPG.DSC03455.JPG.

An old WW1 British tank and a new building-

DSC03461.JPG.DSC03467.JPG.

The last stop was the best.Museum street.Old buidings with pedestrian traffic only.Though not a static museum.People live and work here.

DSC03469.JPG.DSC03471.JPG.

DSC03472.JPG.DSC03474.JPG.

The last of Museum street-

DSC03506.JPG.DSC03507.JPG.DSC07809.JPG.

DSC07810.JPG.DSC07822.JPG.

Now I am unsure what this said but young women were having their photograph taken beside this with their hands covering their eyes.

DSC07827.JPG.

One thing that was very noticeable was the number of prams being pushed round-mothers,fathers or babushka out in the sun.

Because of the late start of our morning tour we had just over 20 minutes until our afternoon tour.But we had prepared.Lunch was waiting in our suite-a club sandwich and crème brulee-ordered with our butler that morning.So off we went again with the same guide.We were doing the 2 villages tour.Actually it was to 2 churches in one village and an historical museum village of 18th and 19th century wooden buildings.

So first some pictures from the bus.As we drove out the quality of buildings steadily declined.At first ugly Soviet style apartment blocks.Then wooden buildings which got smaller the further we went.Only an occasional one had been well maintained.

DSC07830.JPG.DSC07832.JPG.

DSC07834.JPG.DSC07837.JPG.

We were now out in the country and passed the historical museum we were going to tour later-

DSC07838.JPG.DSC07839.JPG.

Outside the city there were numerous small plots of cultivation amongst the meadows all done by hand held tools-

DSC07842.JPG.

Then we reached the churches.First the new-

DSC07843.JPG.DSC07845.JPG.

Then the old-

DSC07847.JPG.DSC07848.JPG.

DSC07849.JPG.

Now this church was built in 1584.However the stories told how it burnt down but it's most famous icon was found hanging in a nearby tree hence the "miracle"church.Sounds like it had been rebuilt many times.

DSC07861.JPG.

Inside a wooden structure built with no nails-

DSC07863.JPG.DSC07862.JPG.

DSC07867.JPG.

Our guide was explaining what it meant.I think she said it was the naughty corner so I left quickly.Down the hill was a spring credited with miracles.It was guarded by 671 billion mosquitoes that could bite you through your clothing-

DSC07870.JPG.DSC07873.JPG.

I am not sure of these miraculous powers.The area around here was a Gulag from the 30s until at least the 50s and possibly later.Our older guide says they are still finding human bones here.

DSC07874.JPG.

Now off to the historical village of wooden buildings from the 18th and 19th centuries.

DSC07875.JPG.DSC07880.JPG.

DSC07881.JPG.

A woman in traditional dress welcomed us in the old way with bread and salt.Bread for good health and salt for great wealth.I don't think there was any salt left after I had my dip!

DSC07877.JPG.DSC07883.JPG.

Inside the church-

DSC07893.JPG.DSC07894.JPG.DSC07895.JPG.

Then the barn which was away from the house as the families valuables were kept here so less risk of fire.Growing alongside are hops.

DSC07902.JPG.

Next a peasant house with hay loft-

DSC07904.JPG.DSC07908.JPG.

The last of the wooden village-

DSC07916.JPG.DSC07917.JPG.DSC07919.JPG.

DSC07921.JPG.DSC07924.JPG.

DSC07928.JPG.

It was an interesting place,fine weather,reasonable guides but once again the mosquitoes were very numerous and aggressive.

The last of the wooden village- It was an interesting place,fine weather,reasonable guides but once again the mosquitoes were very numerous and aggressive.

Appreciate your continued fine postings and details. For these pictures from this "wooden village", were these from in Russia? Plus for "Inside the church"?? Near what town? Sorry, I was not totally sure on the locations with some of these visuals. Keep up the good "work" and excellent efforts.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 110,603 views for this posting.

Back to the ship too late for trivia or golf.The light had changed with some interesting reflections-

DSC03509.JPG.DSC03512.JPG.DSC03514.JPG.

DSC03515.JPG.

A late dinner but nice.I had a Goan lamb curry well spiced with extra sambal.Rojaan went straight to bed but I waited until sail away at 11pm.The changing light,sunset colours and the rising moon were colourful-

DSC03520.JPG.DSC03523.JPG.

The first village we went to was Lyavla which had the old church of St.Nicholas and the miracle spring.

The wooden village is the historical village og Malye Korely.Inside the church was in this village.The buildins have been relocated from villages around the north of Russia to this museum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malye_Korely

The first village we went to was Lyavla which had the old church of St.Nicholas and the miracle spring. The wooden village is the historical village og Malye Korely.Inside the church was in this village.The buildins have been relocated from villages around the north of Russia to this museum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malye_Korely

Appreciate Dr. Ron, these added details and this connection for more info/background. Very helpful!! Love the beautiful sail-away pictures. Looking good!!

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 180,642 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Even past 11pm people were out watching us sail away-

DSC03540.JPG.DSC03562.JPG.

Even the tug boat crew were taking photos-

DSC03543.JPG.

There was a hoon on a jet ski making a racket.Also joined by a water skier showing off-

DSC03534.JPG.DSC03568.JPG.

DSC03573.JPG.

Twilight colours-

Appreciate the great sky colors, plus the many interesting cloud "actions". At sunset times? BUT, in that part of the world, the sun just sinks, but does not totally disappear, right?

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 110,632 views for this posting.

Terry Archangel is south of the Arctic circle so there is a sunset and sunrise every day of the year.Just not much time between the two at this time.

As said we sailed away at 11pm.