Floating Around Norway on a Cloud

drron29

Terry Archangel is south of the Arctic circle so there is a sunset and sunrise every day of the year.Just not much time between the two at this time. As said we sailed away at 11pm.

Appreciate so much, Dr. Ron, this added background. Yes, I checked on the map and Archangel is fairly far south. You had a long, long journey to get there . . . and back!! Sadly, it seems that you are getting close to July 7 and that magic day when the Silver Cloud returns to Copenhagen. Then, Candy and others, board the ship for a Baltics to the Tower Bridge trip. Are you on for that one? Duct tape continuing?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 201,430 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Tuesday and a quiet sea day.Our team won at trivia being the highlight.Had a very enjoyable dinner with our Scots friends and a lovely couple from Chicago.He also a physician.I stayed up to catch the midnight sun as we were back in the Arctic Circle.Not that great-

DSC03590.JPG.DSC03591.JPG.

Wednesday and we arrive in Murmansk.The first impressions were not great and didn't improve-

DSC03592.JPG.DSC03593.JPG.DSC03594.JPG.

DSC03595.JPG.

Some of the buildings we passed on the bus.The second picture is their main train station-

DSC03599.JPG.DSC03601.JPG.

DSC03602.JPG.DSC03603.JPG.

DSC03604.JPG

DSC03606.JPG.

The statue is of a local hero a 16 year old who "exploded"himself with a grenade when surrounded by Germans in the last war.

Edited by drron29

Drron, we did this trip on the Cloud in 2013, but went to Murmansk before Archangelsk. I agree with you about Murmansk. One of the most depressing cities I've ever seen. After that, Archangelsk was a wonderful surprise, lovely, alive, happy people. I'm glad we saw them in that order.

Murmansk was founded in 1916.Our first stop was at their local parliament building-

DSC03607.JPG.DSC03611.JPG.

In front of it is a site that was to be a cathedral.Naturally after 1917 those plans were scrapped but apparently it may finally go ahead-

DSC03608.JPG.DSC03609.JPG.DSC03610.JPG.

You didn't have to go far to find a more typical Murmansk building-

DSC03612.JPG.

Next stop was a memorial to the women of Murmansk.naturally the workers there planting out the summer flowers were all women.The terrible lock craze has even spread to Murmansk.And more depressing apartment blocks-

DSC03656.JPG.DSC03653.JPG.

DSC03657.JPG.DSC03649.JPG.

DSC03651.JPG.DSC03652.JPG.

The post war housing.Facilities were outside.Never the less people are still living in these-

DSC03658.JPG.DSC03659.JPG.

The next stop was an orthodox church and a sea farers memorial-

DSC03660.JPG.DSC03663.JPG.

And an event that should be more widely recognised-

DSC03661.JPG.DSC03662.JPG.

Below the church at the fake light house was the memorial to those who died in the Kursk-a nuclear sub that sank in 2003.

DSC03672.JPG.DSC03671.JPG.

More from the bus including 2 new shopping malls and Mr Lenin-

DSC03676.JPG.DSC03683.JPG.

DSC03691.JPG.DSC03686.JPG.

The last stop was at the Radisson for crepes + coffee or tea.The crepes were nice the coffee not.

DSC03696.JPG.DSC03693.JPG.

DSC03694.JPG.DSC03695.JPG.

We had about 40 minutes after the crepes to visit their souvenir shop.I once again snuck off and wandered the local area.Came across a bride with a small group going to the reception probably-

DSC03703.JPG.DSC03698.JPG.

So 11am on a Wednesday in Murmansk a wedding reception at New York coffee.

Not surprisingly near a western chain hotel were several currency exchanges.All exactly the same.Once again there seemed to be a lack of maintenance.

DSC03702.JPG.DSC03697.JPG.

DSC03700.JPG.DSC03701.JPG.

DSC03704.JPG.DSC03705.JPG.

One funny incident,presumably I was asked for directions by a car driver.Just answered Nyet Russki and the fellow had a great laugh and drove off.

Edited by drron29

Saw at least 3 of these places with large smokestacks.Turns out to be Murmansk's central heating system.Steam pumped around town in pipes which again seem to lack maintenance-

DSC03706.JPG.DSC03707.JPG.

So back to the ship.Immigration not so painful here.You picked up your passport,handed it to a Russian official who took a green sticker out.When you reboarded a red sticker taken out.Still took nearly 2 hours to get to this point but at least our tour left on time.

We noticed a black car at each end of the ship with a guy in a dark suit inside.Then a ship berthed in front of us and a black car parked next to that-? Putin's Paranoid Puppets?

DSC03708.JPG.DSC03709.JPG.

DSC03710.JPG.DSC03715.JPG.

The tender for refuelling us arrived two hours late.This had a much larger impact on us than thought.That next.

Special thanks to Dr. and Mrs. Ron for all of the great reporting.

Yesterday's noon report from the bridge was delivered by none other than our very own Duct Tape. See had the vessel rockin' and rollin' from the left to the right all day long back to Copenhagen. The seas were roiling non-stop.

Disembarkation went smoothly this morning, lots of available taxis, and now we're sitting in London awaiting our return flight to the U.S. Only 10 passengers (all Australians) were staying on board the Cloud for the next voyage.

In closing, this was a voyage of a lifetime for my family and I. We enjoyed it immensely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Safe travels stumblefoot.Was great to meet up.

But back to Murmansk.Because the refuelling was 2 hours late sail away was put back from 2pm to 4pm.Unfortunately when 4pm came the Russian navy closed the port.Said to be just coincidence but I asked what was likely to happen and was told probably the port will reopen about 11.30pm and the Cloud would leave just after midnight so Silverseas would have to pay another day's port charges.

So much later it was announced the port would reopen at 11.30pm and we sailed just after midnight.

So pictures of sail away-

DSC03716.JPG.DSC03717.JPG.

DSC03719.JPG.DSC03720.JPG.

DSC03721.JPG.DSC03728..

Thought it my duty to photograph the navy-

DSC03743.JPG.DSC03745.JPG.

DSC03746.JPG.DSC03748.JPG.

DSC03749.JPG.DSC03751.JPG.

It was now 1am so I went to bed.Naturally just after I had done that but the Russian airforce sent 2 jets to fly over the Cloud.

The delay meant we miss the port of Alta and have 2 sea days to get back to time.It meant also that we now took the inner route through the fjords so hopefully some great scenery.On the first day we had made the Norwegian coast.Must be the most northerly wind farm in Europe,lots of little fishing vessels and finally the island of Mageroya-

DSC03755.JPG.DSC03756.JPG.

DSC03757.JPG.DSC03760.JPG.

We now turned south of Mageroya so missed Nordkapp from the sea.Passed the fishing villages but had to pick up a pilot-

DSC03761.JPG.DSC03762.JPG.

At the narrowest part of the channel separating the island and the mainland the current was quite strong-

DSC03788.JPG.DSC03790.JPG.

DSC03795.JPG.

Shortly after I recognised the place where the Sami swim the reindeer to the mainland at the end of summer.Must judge the timing accurately-

DSC03799.JPG.DSC03800.JPG.

DSC03803.JPG.